Integrating Smoke Detectors to Hubitat + SM120X relay, and interconnection

Hi -
Figured I'd post this. One, to hopefully give others some ideas and two for some input on how to best utilize my setup from an automation perspective.

Requirement:
Add an interconnected smoke & CO2 detection system to a 1960's house that was not hardwired and is quite restrictive to hardwire. If one detector goes off, they all should - so that alerts can be heard in sleeping areas, if it occurs in other parts of the house.

Bonus Requirement:
The system should also alert a specific set of contacts as well.

Bonus Bonus Requirement:
Voice alerts - apparently this is better for the kids.

Product:
Kidde as recently released an updated wireless interconnected combination alarms. Allowing for a separate alarm network, that is interconnected. There is a wired version and a wireless version. They are not cheap (about $70 per detector). But they appear to be of high quality and have a fair amount of features. I choose this model over the First Alert ZCombo unit, because I did not like that those were not interconnected, and that I would have rely on home automation for a central alert. (I see home automation as a supplement to safety alerts, not a replacement.)

Wireless: P4010DCSCO-W

Wired: P4010ACSCO-W

Setup
I Hardwired one unit in the basement, off an existing light bulb fixture. I needed one hardwired unit, because that one can use the SM120X & CO120X relays that will allow for home automation. I think added several wireless units throughout the house.

I then followed vseven's write up on how to integrate the relays to a ZWave door controller. Found here: Integrating Kidde Smoke / CO Sensors into SmartThings Properly - Projects & Stories - SmartThings Community. Each relay will close the circuit on one of the two Eco-Link controllers and give me the ability to report an incident.

Cost
One of my co-workers mentioned I could have just gotten a nest protect. I like this setup better because, its whole house coverage for a bit less and I feel its a bit more reliable using this type of network. My main concern is that they all alert when people are home.

I have 3 Kidde interconnected units, one on each floor. For a total cost of $220, plus the two relays $30, plus the two zwave controllers, $60. Total cost for whole house coverage + hubitat integration ~$300.

Questions
I've created a trigger for each of the ZWave door devices, that once the circuit closes on each to sent a txt message of the danger (either smoke or CO2, depends on what's triggered) to a set list of mobile phone numbers. This worked very well when testing (simply closing the door circuit).

I have since completed the project, and tested, by performing a smoke and carbon test of the Kidde system. I can see on my hubitat devices screen that each circuit closes as the detectors cycle through (smoke closes and opens back up, then CO2 does the same). However the closing of the circuit is quite quick as the unit do a brief test. Is this too quick for Hubitat to realize there's an issue and to send a txt message?

The txt messages have been spotty, I will need to play with it more. But was looking for some feedback and also to give folks an idea of other interconnected wireless options, that can be adapted for home automation.

1 Like

I have an older wired smoke alarm system from the late 80's era. I replaced all the smoke detectors and installed the relay module in pretty much the same way. In my utility room I was able to tap into a nearby smoke alarm junction box and added a separate junction box to keep the 120V wiring enclosed. The relay module contacts then connect to the door sensor. One difference is that I'm monitoring the N.C. contact of the relay module, so in any security setup it looks "secure" like a closed door. Then, when testing any of the smoke detectors the relay operates. I have RM set to send me a text alert via Pushover when it goes active and another text when it gets reset. If the wife forgets something on the stove, it lets me know. Then the reset lets me know the alarm has been silenced. It works really well.