Integrating existing devices with Hubitat, some questions before I buy

Hi! I have not yet bought my Hubitat, I was hoping to have a couple of questions answered first.

I see that some of my existing smart devices don’t look to be supported in the official list of supported devices and the community list. I have a couple of Eve door and window sensors and Wemo smart plugs. Should I just find new homes for these? I think I might replace the Eve sensors with Centralite ones. I like that they’re small.

I also have a Phillips Hue hub with a mix of white and color lights which I see will work. A Ring doorbell, a Blink indoor camera, a MyQ garage door opener, and a Nest Protect which are all listed as supported whether officially or unofficially. And an Apple TV 4K which can function as a hub but seems irrelevant here. I have an Echo but it’s unplugged and I don’t use it… I don’t really like talking to my gadgets. I’d rather just press a virtual button on my phone.

A couple of questions. Is there a way to snooze notifications? For example, when someone is mowing the lawn I can snooze the Ring doorbell’s notifications for an hour. (It’s a feature built into the Ring app, not my phone.) If I have Hubitat set to notify me whenever a door opens or closes, can I snooze that on a day when perhaps I have work being done on my house?

And also could you recommend a battery-operated button or switch that can be used as a light switch where there isn’t an existing one? I don’t need a dimmer, just a simple on/off for the Hue lights would be fine. I just have a living room where there’s only one (inconveniently located) light switch and it’s wired to an outlet that isn’t one I have a lamp plugged into.

I really like Lutron Pico remotes for this use-case.

There's a little bit of a cost barrier to entry, since you have to buy the Lutron Pro hub.

But it has an official and local-only integration with Hubitat and is without a doubt the most reliable home automation product I have in my system. And they have a nice kit that you can just mount on the wall and it looks like a real switch without actually having to cut and install anything behind it.

2 Likes

You can definitively do that. Hubitat has a couple of options for built-in rules engin which allow for customization. It will be different than what you have on Ring however. With Ring, it is setup to work out of the box. With Hubitat, you will need to configure your rules to be snoozed based something like a virtual button, presence, a mode (day/evening/night/away/other…).

Yes, you could do this in a way similar to the one above.

I will second @tomw’s recommendation. Pico remotes are really great, and they look really good (in my opinion).

After using Hubitat for a while, I noticed that I liked using motion sensors much more than switches for most of my rooms. So for rooms with “established patterns” (ie The light is always turned on when someone is this room, and off when they leave), motion or door sensors do most of the work - I rarely if ever use the switches in those rooms.

Feel free to ask more questions and browse/search the community! There are a lot of great folks here with awesome ideas!

3 Likes

I just found out that Hue makes a smart button for its lights! I thought they only had switches that had to be installed like conventional switches.

Hue also has dimmer switches which are battery operated and has a wall plate you can stick anywhere.

Also you can press your echo into service for voice notifications even if you never use voice commands.

3 Likes

Keep the hue hub for bulbs. ZLL bulbs and ZHA devices don't play nice because ZLL zigbee bulbs make bad repeaters and can crap out a mesh. Use cocohue to control the hue bridge from hubitat. Everything else connect to hubitat directly.

Your ring doorbell can be incorporated with the community app.