Installing apps using Safari and Chrome

Could be just me, but with the most recent FW update I can’t install any apps using Safari for iOS or Mac.

I go through the setup screen for the app and after hitting done the App does not appear on the App list.

Happening with Room Manager and Weather switch.

UPDATE - behaves the same way with Chrome on Mac

That's very odd, as I use both Safari and Chrome on Mac daily, installing apps daily...

I don’t use Safari but I’ve had absolutely no problem installing apps from Chrome at any point since I’ve owned the hub.

Are these built-in apps that you’re trying to install or are they custom?

Tested on both Safari and iOS, not seeing the issue either. Is it specific apps? User apps or Built In?

Sounds like something else might be going on, any errors in logging when you try to install an app?

Weather switch and Rooms manager. Very odd. Let me clear my cache.

Try deleting the app code entirely then create a new app and paste it back in.

Do any of the built in apps, like Button Controller install? Let's baseline this. No need to delete the app code.

Just try any built in app and let me know if those install

There’s no reason not to try deleting the app code I had a similar experience where an app simply would not install the children. And I had to delete the code and paste it back in to get it to work.

I appreciate that in your situation that worked. I am trying to baseline if built in apps install or not. Since the 2 apps he is trying to install are custom apps, it is an important first step to understand where the issue might be. If they do, then we can look at the custom code and see what might be the issue.

1 Like

Sure. I get trying to create a baseline. However copying text and pasting it in is so fast and easy that it can easily rule out that issue in seconds. Since these are apps that he doesn’t have installed anyways, there’s zero consequence to trying that first. I don’t recall who but I gave that advice to one other person whom described the same situation and it helped them too.

Just a different approach between us. I’ve not seen the situation where I couldn’t install a built-in app, nor have I read about any. Of course you may have, because you deal with so many customers daily. I would always suspect custom code 1st personally, before I would suspect the hub to misbehave that way

I saw this behavior before. When you intsall the app make sure you hit done BEFORE you try to configure it. It done first and it will take you back to the applist then go back into the app and configure it.

Just for baselining purposes I installed Weather Switch and had no issues on the latest release. Showed up in apps list and was installed.

Ok. I got it. I took the suggestion of installing a built in app ‘Groups’ that showed up.

Then installed weather switch. That now showed up.

Don’t know why it happened

2 Likes

Strange days indeed

Glad you got it working. If it happens again, try opening logging during the issue and see if any errors are occurring.

This same thing happened to me just tonight. I installed a custom app and configured it. This was a parent child app. I figured I did something wrong like hit the app list back link instead of done. So I made a small change to the child app (to be able to change it's name) and installed it again. Walked through all the same steps and clicked done. As soon as I got back to the app list I saw the parent/child app 2 times.

I just figured it was user error.

With a parent-child app, if you create a child before having saved the parent (hitting Done), the child cannot be saved, it will disappear. This is the reason that all of the built-in parent-child apps have a splash screen for the parent, that forces you to hit Done before you create any child apps.

We have discussed changing how this works, and allowing "auto-install" of a parent app. But that is not implemented yet.

2 Likes

@bravenel

Tonight all of my motion lighting apps stopped executing. I assumed, one of my latest additions to the motion lighting apps created this problem.

After careful examination of all devices In Use by the motion lighting apps, I found a device with had a partially configured ( aka. orphaned) child application lingering that could not be found on the Application tab under the application under which I started to create it.

Right or wrong, when I make new app entries I name them something like "Test_MasterBathroomMotion" so that I can see which are working properly before I rename them, and move on to new areas of my home.

Under the device
Hue Motion Sensor-Front Door I found the following in the In Use By field

Entryway Motion (Motion Lighting) <= working motion
Test_Emergcy Exit Motion (Motion Lighting) <= this guy got orphaned during construction

Test_Emergcy Exit Motion (Motion Lighting) is not listed as a Motion Lighting child app, This was a under construction child app where I likely hit a wrong button and it became orphaned.

I probably hit the << App List instead of the done button, while moving too quickly. That is my fault.

When I find one of these orphaned application, I can click on it and pull it up under the Parent application for further configuration. Once in the child app editor, I was able to remove it, and all of my motion lighting apps began to work again.

Is there anyway to stop these from getting orphaned??
Or an easy method to locate the orphans? Hunting through all my devices is extremely time consuming.

I have had this problem many times. Just noticed the relationship today.

Yes, always hit Done when installing an app. (I know, cheap shot.) There is no way to prevent you from navigating away from installing the app before it is complete. So, you end up with orphaned apps. There is a daily job that runs at night sometime that finds and removes these orphans. But, there is no easy way to know they exist or to find them.

I don't know why your other Motion Lighting apps stopped working. That's odd. I will pass that on to the engineers as it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Would it make sense to have navigation away from a page by hitting either <<App list or <<Device list, be equivalent to the Done button? Any disadvantages to the scenario?

And I should qualify that I have used that many times as cancel, so I would definitely want to see a cancel button. Maybe on the left side of the page, opposite the Done button could work.