Installing 50+ switches in one location

The Leviton dimmer instruction set comes with a specific disclaimer " Large clustering of communicating devices in a centralized location (ie a closet) is not recommended."

This is exactly my installation requirements. Any opinions on if this statement is factual?

Of course it is factual. Radio signals interfere with each other, so if you get enough in a real close proximity and there will be interference.

Now, how many is too many? How close is too close? And how much interference can there be before there are significant enough performance or signal issues? Well, it takes a lot of work and spectrum analysis to answer that.

50 switches in a closet? Yeah you'll probably have issues.

50 switches in a house? No problem.

1 Like

I am just curious why you would have over 50 switches in a closet???

The house was remodeled 15 years ago and used a early home automation system from URC. Most of the switches are centrally located in 2 closets with "controllers" in each room for local control. I have to replace all the switches because they don't support led bulbs.

1 Like

May work, may not. That is a classic example of what not to do with low power radio devices, though.

1 Like

Yuck. Good luck though!

2 Likes

george-takei-oh-my-new

5 Likes

JFC on a goddamn pogo stick.... WTF fresh hell is that? How did that even pass inspection when the house was sold?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.