Install Z-wave device WITHOUT security

I'm trying to remove and re-install a Z-wave "40 amp switch" without S2 security, as it may be the culprit for my C8 locking up, but I do not get an option to do so when including and gets included with security. Is there any possible way to turn security off?

Did you originally include it via SmartStart (QR code)?

What security is it including with S2 or S0?
If S0, it does not give you a choice, I would just leave it with S0.

Also, what @hydro311 asked is relevant, if you used SmartStart for S2 it will be self-including with the default security settings that were scanned into Smart Start. You can remove from SmartStart and include manually, or edit the grants in SS and turn off security before it is included again.

1 Like

FWIW, I don't remember Inovelli ever making any of these (they had a few gen 1 products I never used since they were always out of stock but I still don't recall this being one...), so if you have more problems, the manufacturer and model might be good to know in case anyone knows any device-specific quriks.

1 Like

I tried SmartStart & manual, both ways did not give any option

Its a GE 40 Amp Z-Wave

Its S2 & Trying to understand how to edit and turn off security.

If it is smartstart you just need to click on the smart start entry after scanning the code and uncheck the options for security. For the manual inclusion you should be prompted to include with or without security. Just click on the button to include without.

Are neither of those options avaliable to you?

With either method no options are given to select security. I'm going to try resetting device to manufacture default and try again. Maybe the security is activated automatically since it was previously included that way.

If you go into the SmartStart screen and tap the device you don't see a screen like this?

That is a function of the Smart Start component. Not unique to devices.

I was not given those option until I reset the device to factory default settings and eventually was given options. I succeeded to include without security. Thanks everyone for valuable inputs

Hmmm... While I'm glad you the security thing sorted, I doubt that encryption is the cause of your lockups...

Bobby seems to think otherwise and I was just going to stay out of it since I have no idea what the engineering logs even look like. I agree it seems unlikely but :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

I didn't see that message... Though still seems weird

It would be interesting to get more details on what "problems with S2 devices" means. I personally allow everything to connect with S2 if it supports it and have not had issues with it at all. Over 50 devices included with S2. I also have never suggested avoiding it as it the hardware is designed for it once you are using Zwave 700 and better chips.

3 Likes