Input in dashboard for wake up time

If there any way to have a numerical input on the dashboard for the time I want to be woken up by my lights and audio devices. Currently I go in through rule machine and manually change this each day I need to change it but it's a pain.

I'm thinking similar to how Bruce demonstrated in one of the Hubitat live episodes how he could enter a new lock lock code from the dashboard using global variables.

You can create a Global Variable in RM and make a connector for it. Then put it on your dashboard as a tile. Then use the GV in your rule.

Interesting, what is a connector?

It's something you can make with your Global Variable to connect it to a Virtual device (it's in the same menu option as where you create your GV's). And that device you can use on your dashboard with the input templates.

And could I just enter 06:20 as a variable and it will understand that's a time not just a numerical value?

Good question! No, you'd have to create two variables, one for hours, one for minutes. And two tiles on your dashboard. (I know, it's not ideal, but working with date / time formats as a programmer is a living hell). And then you can use both variables in your rule.

This is how I do it in RM.

IMG_20191019_150707_480

3 Likes

Clever solution!

Lol, I'm glad at least one of us knows what is all going on there with those actions!

Yeah...it's you're new to Hubitat don't even try to tackle something like that yet. You're just going to frustrate yourself. Start with some simpler stuff first and keep this in your back pocket after you have some other rules under your belt.

1 Like