(Solved) Inovelli Red Dimmer (child) notification help w/ Hubitat - Maybe I missed it somewhere

Hi,

Equipment:
Hubitat
Several Inovelli red dimmers and switches
2 door locks
(There’s more, but these are the relative pieces of equipment for this request for help.)

Warning: I am brand new to Hubitat and Inovelli. I have experience with GE/Jasco (non-plus) and SmartThings v1/2 and Honeywell Alarm. However, these two equipment groups are proving to be extremely different.

So, I just received my new Dimmers and switches. I love the idea of watching door locks and changing the child light for notifications (suggestion from Inovelli homepage). Unfortunately I can’t make it work right. It took me a while to figure out how to manipulate the child light (I don’t know why the driver for the child is in a different place than the driver for the dimmer).

I have the Hubitat Security Monitor watching either door lock to see if they are unlocked. In the event that one of them is unlocked (manual or automation) the child light notification 1 turns on with my notification 1 settings. That part works.

I then have the Rule Machine watching both door locks to be locked to turn off the child Notification 1.

The problem is if both door locks are unlocked (Notification 1 is on and blinking red), and either door lock gets locked, it turns child Notification 1 back off. I need to set the Rule Machine to monitor lock 1 AND lock 2 instead of lock 1 OR lock 2, but I can’t figure out how to do that. The alternative would be to use Hubitat Security Monitor to make a second monitor that watches for both locks to be locked and turn the Notification back off, but there is no option to turn something off, only on. What am I doing wrong? How do I make this work? This was my method, but was there a more correct way to do this? Anyone have any help or advice? I have some cool ideas with some of the other features in my smart home, but I need to get this working first.

Thanks,
Josh

What does your rule look like? Something like this looks like like it would do what you want, but since the Inovelli can only display one notification at a time, you'll have to pick a "favorite" door to take priority over the others (here it's Door 1):

Triggers: Door 1 Lock changed OR Door 2 Lock Changed

Actions:

IF (Door 1 Lock unlocked) THEN
  On: Inovelli Notification 1
ELSE-IF (Door 2 Lock unlocked) THEN
  On: Inovelli Notification 2
ELSE
  Off: Inovelli Notification 1, Inovelli Notification 2
END-IF
1 Like

Well I guess that's where my problem is. I didn't see where I could control the booleans.

I'm not sure what you mean with "booleans" (I have no boolean variables above, so maybe you're talking about the values of the IF/THEN expressions?), but if it works, that's all good. :smiley:

I am completely lost. (by Boolean I meant "and" and "or"). But where do I type the IF THEN ELSE ENDIF etc. commands?

OK, I got it to work.

Select Trigger Events (ANY will trigger)

Garage Door changed Front Door changed

Select Actions for Door Locks1
IF (Front Door all unlocked(F) OR
Garage Door unlocked(F) [FALSE]) THEN
On: Master Bedroom Light (Notification 1)
ELSE-IF (Front Door locked(T) AND
Garage Door locked(T) [TRUE]) THEN
Off: Master Bedroom Light (Notification 1)
END-IF

1 Like

And for any else that is way new to this that can't figure it out like me, the Action is called Condition Actions. That is where the IF THEN ELSE, and nesting capabilities are. Good Luck. I see great things with this stuff!

Josh

1 Like

Yeah, Rule Machine categorizes the actions--so first you have to choose the type/category from the left (e.g., "Conditional Actions"), then the "real" action/item on the right, presumably because the list would be un-usably long if they just showed all options in one. :slight_smile: (And I see what you mean now with the Boolean operators.)

In the triggers, you don't have to put in the OR. Rule Machine puts them there for you as an English approximation of the fact that, as it says, any of those events would cause the trigger to fire. In this case, you could combine them into a single Door 1, Door 2 any *changed* trigger with an identical outcome (I guess that's true for any "changed" trigger; but sometimes people get unexpected results with things like "Motion 1, Motion 2 any active" versus "Motion 1 active OR Motion 2 active," which are not quite the same).

1 Like

@gijosh28 can you show your rule? I'm interested in how you finally solve this. Thanks

@leeonestop I did up above. Take a look.

1 Like

Sorry I missed it.