Inovelli LZW31 Black Series Dimmer - Can't get it paired

In an attempt to expand my Z-Wave mesh I decided to add an Inovelli LZW31 Black Series Dimmer to the mix.

Thanks to the joys of living in an older house; I discovered that the switch that I would be replacing doesn't have a neutral wire; this is something I intend to remedy at a later time, but since the Inovelli switch will work without it - I decided to move forward.

Here's what I did:

1. Install the switch using wiring schematic provided by Inovelli in the device manual and online (https://desk.zoho.com/DocsDisplay?zgId=691830694&mode=inline&blockId=k5bzm6bb6164e96dc4db88833d6d0f293fa0d)
  2. When the switch was installed, I used the configuration button to configure it as a no-neutral install, per the Inovelli instructions
  3. Attempted to pair: Set HE into Z-Wave Inclusion Mode, then tapped the switch's configuration button 3x quickly. The switch went into pair mode but nothing was found in HE so the switch timed out (flashed red)
  4. Attempted to Exclude the switch: set HE into Z-Wave exclusion then tapped the config button 3x quickly. No devices found to exclude.
  5. Repeat steps 3-4 several times, got frustrated.
  6. Reset the switch by holding config button for 20 seconds.
  7. Configure the switch for no-neutral setup
  8. Tried to pair again, no luck
  9. Cut power to switch, wait 10 minutes, restore power
  10. Configure switch for no-neutral setup
  11. Tried to pair again, no luck.

I also did already install the LZW31 driver code into HE and also checked the Z-Wave signal meter on the switch (hold config button 5-10 seconds) and the LED indicator goes full green when tested.

On the load side I have a pair of 15-watt LED dimmable bulbs to get around the 25-watt minimum with no neutral. The switch does control the lights nicely if done manually.

How far are you from the hub or a nearby repeater? (I'm not sure I'd trust the "range check" on an unpaired switch--I'm pretty sure that is supposed to tell you what it thinks about the network it's currently joined to and shouldn't do anything if it isn't, which they might be addressing with future firmware updates.)

If you don't have any repeaters (like other Z-Wave switches/dimmers, smart plugs, dedicated repeaters, or most powered devices), adding one near the hub or between the hub and new switch may help. You could also try bringing the hub closer for pairing, but the LZW31 supports "network wide inclusion" (pairing through the mesh) and should be able to do so if your other repeaters do, too--meaning that the switch is unlikely to work in place if it can't pair in place, though I suppose little harm could come of trying (and maybe running a Z-Wave repair after moving everything back).

For fun, I'd also recommend trying the exclusion multiple times--just in case. :slight_smile: Some people have also had luck rebooting their hub (once--don't go crazy with this, and I think support actually recommends against it sometimes) if a stubborn Z-Wave device refuses to pair.

I would try a couple things.

Shut the hub down from the settings menu. Power Hubitat down by pulling the power cord for 30 seconds, and power up. See if you can exclude and include it then.

The other thing would be to move the hub closer to the switch, or the switch closer to the hub. Again, power down the hub properly if you move it.

The hub is around 14-feet and one wall away from the switch, which sits on an exterior wall. On the other side of that same exterior wall is an Inovelli Bulb Multi-Color LZW42 on a different (dumb) switch which currently has no issues being controlled.

I'll try shutting down the hub (from settings) and pulling the power. If that fails I'll try moving the switch closer for the purposes of inclusion.

Shutting down the hub did the trick here! I shut down through the settings menu, pulled the power cable and waited around 30 seconds. Then I plugged it back in, waited for it to finish booting up then waited a few minutes for a break in my super exciting work meeting, then finally tried to include the switch in HE and it was found and set up properly.

Thanks for the tips!

3 Likes