Inovelli Fan+Light repeatedly ghosting and other new ghosts

I have an Inovelli Fan+Light with firmware 1.36. It's been running fine for a long time. This morning it didn't turn off from the hall Inovelli red dimmer that is connected to it by the Switch Binding app. I didn't find out about this until the evening. It does turn on and off just fine when I use the Fan+Light's switch inside of the room.

When I checked the Z-Wave table I saw the Fan+Light was ghosted (nothing in the route cell). I then turned off the power from the breaker for > 30 seconds. Shortly after I turned the power back on the Fan+Light I was able to see its route and speed again in the Z-Wave table, and I was able to turn it off from the hall light. Great! (Or so I thought). 5-10 minutes later I wanted to see just what speed it was connecting at, but when I went into the Z-Wave table, it had ghosted again.

So I turned off the power again for another 30+seconds. When I turned it back on the Fan+Light came back on the mesh, but now a Fan + Light in a different room fell off the mesh. I did the power breaker thing for this room for 30+ seconds and now this Fan+Light is back on the mesh (for now).

Any one have any idea what could be suddenly causing this?

Is it connecting directly to the hub, or through a repeater? If it is connecting through a repeater, it is possible that the repeater is falling off the network (or that the F+L switch is).

If it is connecting directly, what is the RSSI (signal strength) at the switch?

The 1st Fan+Light (the Wegitorium (named for the artist Emil Weddige)) goes through 01 -> 46 -> 45 40kbps

The 2nd Fan+Light (the Palm Room) goes through 01 -> 4D -> 42 -> 60 9.6kbps

So they not only don't go through each other, then don't have any hops in common.

The other devices in the 2 chains have not ghosted.

This right here seems like a distance issue to 4d.... That is some low speed right there... Have you tried doing a repair on that node alone and see if it will change route?

I've been leery to do that as some people seem to swear by doing repairs (either for the whole mesh or individually) while others say you shouldn't do that and just wait for Z-Wave to figure itself out.

I had moved my hub a couple of weeks ago to a much higher location on top of a wooden breakfront and in a different room. Over the course of these couple weeks several more of my devices are now connecting at 100 instead of 9.6, so I think I might wait a bit longer to see if this one magically changes on its own too.

But I know Z-Wave can behave in mysterious and inscrutable ways. I have notice how I have a few double gang boxes with 2 Inovelli swithes and one will be at 100 and the one right next to it is at 9.6. So, go figure.

Have you updated the hub's z-wave firmware?

1 Like

It's fine to do a single repair.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Since I see that some of the devices have connected faster in the last few days I'm going to wait a bit more first. But, if it doesn't change I'll do the single repair.

1 Like