Inovelli Black (LZW30) multi-tap?

I just installed 4 new Inovelli Black on/off switches, replacing the old Inovelli (i guess first gen) I was using before. Now I need to move all my 1,2,3,4,5 multi-tap settings over to these new switches but I'm not seeing any multi-tap options in the device settings. They also don't appear selectable in the button device in rule machine.
I know it supports multi-tap (what they call scenes) as it is listed on this page here: https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/kb/articles/installation-setup-lzw30-on-off-black-series-gen-2-hubitat
But there are no details that I can find on how to set it up.

Thanks for any pointers.

https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/kb/articles/what-s-the-difference-between-red-and-black-series

Doesn't look like the black supports scenes...

I second that. I have both Black and Red. Only the Red series support scenes / multi-tap.

The above is all correct, and @gavincampbell has provided a comparison from Inovelli to back that up (and that document is, indeed, correct). That being said, I understand that it's confusing to see "scenes" (and "notifications," for that matter) mentioned on the LZW30 support page as if it may be possible; my guess is that this was an accidental copy/paste inclusion from the similar Red Series document that was likely pared down to create this one. Maybe @Eric_Inovelli or someone should remove those references?

You have got to be kidding me. This kind of pisses me off. I spent most of my evening installing them in my walls. Why would they add all these random other features and not add simple double/tripple tap into their firmware? Their old switches had it. It's tremendously more useful to have multi-tap instead of a stupid multi-color led. The switch even has an additional third button now. What is even the point of that?

The only differences I notice between the Red and Black on their website was that the red shows energy stats. I guess I missed something because even the Black series hubitat page mentions configuring "scenes", just no info on how to do it.

Now I have to spend tomorrow afternoon taking them all out again. And I can't send them back because I had to remove tabs for all the spots I installed them. Really, a smart switch without multi-tap. I thought that went away with old the non-zwave plus GE switches.

Super annoyed at this.

Red series add scene control, power monitoring, and LED notification capabilities so you can change the LED to different colors and patterns based on events. The Black series were their low end option which competed with the other switches without those features. They recently announced they are going to stop manufacturing the black series to concentrate more on the higher end features.

It was actually the same with the old versions: some had scenes/multi-taps (NZW30-S or NZW31-S) and some didn't (NZW-30 or NZW31).

Some manufacturers are willing to accept returns even if you're removed tabs (I know HomeSeer sells partially- and fully-detabbed switches/dimmers in the rare event they have a refurb on their site). I'm not sure if Inovelli is one, but I'd at least recommend reaching out to their support team to see if they're able to help.

Ah man, this is frustrating. I'm really sorry @xamindar. It must have been a copy/paste error on the page. The amazing thing is it has been like that for over a year and a half and no one else noticed it or said anything about it.

As everyone has mentioned above, the main difference between the Black and Red are scene control, notifications and power monitoring. We also had a similar setup with Gen 1's as @bertabcd1234 mentioned where the lower priced models did not have all the bells and whistles like the higher priced models.

How many scenes are you looking for? I believe we put at least a couple on our latest beta firmware.

Let me confirm with @ericm on the scenes available on the Black Series as we did add them in 1.49 (1x tap, held, released and I believe config button). But if you need 2x, 3x tap etc, unfortunately this is a Red Series purchase. I'm happy to take back the ones you broke the tabs off, we usually deduct the amount it would cost us to sell refurbished, but obviously this is a case where we'd waive that.

As for why that third button is there, it's more for people who don't have a powerful hub like Hubitat. It's so they can configure various settings from the switch itself vs the hub.

Again, very sorry for the mixup and let's see what we can do to make it right.

Let's start with understanding how many scenes you need and if our beta firmware can handle it so you don't have to spend the day ripping out the switches.

6 Likes

Thank you for the fast response and the clarification @Eric_Inovelli. I will say though, it's a little more confusing having to figure out what the difference between "red" and "black" are. If I remember correctly, back when I bought my original switches it was between basic and "with scene support" or something like that so I knew what I was getting. I had to study both spec pages for red and black last night to really grasp what all the differences were as it isn't that clear by the names alone.

Anyway, I do need multi-tap, 2,3,4. After thinking about this here's what I'll do. I have 4 exhaust fans in my house. I don't ever need multi-tap or anything besides on/off for these so I'm just going to move the 4 black switches over to those (I did read they are ok powering fans, correct?) and then put my original Inovelli "scene" switches back where they were.

I have been more than satisfied with all of your products so I'll find a way to make use of them instead of causing unnecessary additional time and money wasted. It was my fault for hastily purchasing them at the sale instead of researching the spec pages first.

Thanks again for responding and offering some solutions.

3 Likes