Inovelli, and Zooz or Lutron and Picos

It was definitely code by then. So you are extremely likely to have neutrals in all your switch wall boxes.

5 Likes

As part of my Hubitatization I changed all of the outlets and sockets to white Decora-style outlets and paddle switches from yellowed or painted toggles. (Now you tell me!) Huge WAF.

Have fun!

It's all about cost...(note that the decora style is a 10-pack)

2 Likes

I can see it now! The future of Hubitat support! AR based assistance!

1 Like

If this controls a single lightning source, that is actually a 4-way circuit. 3-way would be just two switches.

Lets see, one is one set of two can lights controlled by 2 switches. One is four can lights controlled by three switches (one of which shares a box with one of the switches that controls the first two can lights, one switch is by itself, and the third switch is in a box with 3 other switches that control the entry light (which has a second switch that controls it by the front door), the ceiling fan , and ceiling fan light, Oh, and there is a 2nd switch for the ceiling fan light (only) on the other side of the room with a switch that controls six can lights. All these are in an open floor plan area.

The laundry room is two switches. one with a switch for the exhaust fan, the other switch is on the other side of the laundry room in a box with four other switches , Exhaust fan, garage light and a circuit on the eaves for holiday lighting, and one of two switches that control the outside lights on the garage, the second switch that controls them is by the front door with the second switch that controls the entry light. Confused? I'm am just thinking about it.

1 Like

I was like that when I pulled wire throughout the house. I kept having to double and triple check which wires were what. Then when all the switches were in place we were like, that's a lot of farking switches. We zoned the family room but to save aggravation in wiring we put a matching set of pico's at the other end of the room to act as threeways. Did this in a lot of rooms and worked out very well.

3 Likes

I am not a licensed electrician but I was taught a ton by one and have smartened all 100+ of the switches in my home (many 3 and 4 ways) and a few neighbor homes. I have a knack of being able to look at pictures of wiring to help community members too, helping folks in the GE 3way FAQ thread in the ST Community for years.

If you want to choose one 3 way and take clear pictures of the junction box where I can see wires coming into the box and also the wiring to your existing dumb 3 ways I am confident I can help. While 3 and 4 way switches can be complex, the key to the puzzle is the black/bronze screw terminal on the dumb 3 way switch (one with 3 wires) and it’s wire color because one 3way will have load and the other will have line from breaker. This said in most cases line and load come into the same junction box and one is “sent” to the other in the back of the box, hence the need of clear pictures.

Happy to help, just tag me with your pictures.

3 Likes

I will work on this tomorrow and Wednesday. In the main room(s) I have three sets of can lights im most interested in getting onto dimmers. The way these rrooms are configured, there is really no way to use a lamp, so I would like to be able to dim the can lights. Right now it's either full brightness, or cave dwelling.

Before jumping on the dimmer bandwagon, it's first worth verifying that the cans (bulbs or integrated LEDs) are in fact dimmable... They likely are, but stranger things have happened.

1 Like

gulp.. and how would I do that? This rabbit hole is getting deep.....

Since you're in new construction, I would wager they're dimmable -- I forgot you're in a pretty new build. I'm guessing they're integrated-LED can (or canless) fixtures, so chances are good they're dimmable.

Ok, now I know this is going to sound like a really dumb question, but it is something that nags at me . Will 4 of those decora switches (well, 2 or 3 and 1 or 2 Inovelli Red series or Zooz switches/ dimmers fit in the same box that currently houses 4 dumb toggles?? I keep thinking there won't be enough room for all of that .

1 Like

Yes, they will fit. And since it is a new construction, you likely have nice deep wall boxes!

3 Likes

Yes I have 2 four gang boxes filled with GE switches. The newer ones as well as newer Zooz aren’t as deep as the old ones and even those fit.

3 Likes

Yeah, usually they're deep enough. Most switches (inovelli, zooz, lutron etc) are the same thickness roughly. Here is a shot of mine. The only time I've had any issues is with 12 guage wiring and 1" deep boxes for my kitchen. Fortunately those were outlets. Though even with the 3/8" backsplash on top, it was a tight fit...

And some pico's

1 Like