INNR bulbs over Sengled bulbs

If there is a wired Zigbee device; it should be repeating. I think it is a design flow not have that.

I in fact love that they don't repeat and I can pull them and\or move them at will, and don't have to worry about them causing problems.

However, I have an excellent zigbee mesh that doesn't need additional devices getting in the way of the repeaters that I've already put in place.

I realize that others may feel differently. :slightly_smiling_face: But choices are good.

6 Likes

I would, but that's personal preference. Whether they repeat or not wasn't part of my consideration. I'm weak in ZigBee as most of my stuff is Zwave. My Zigbee is mostly just 6 of these bulbs and 2 Hue motion sensors.

I switched all of my Sengled classic bulbs (way to glitchy) to these Innr bulbs and have been VERY happy with them. I run them with the advance ZigBee bulb driver, and they work great! That driver gives you the option to select how they behave after a power outage. When I bought them, I wasn't using Hue, but they are hue compatible (cheaper), and work great on that hub as well (I have 4 on Hubitat directly, and three through the Hue bridge, part of an experiment). I'm at a point now that I'm contemplating replacing some Innr white with Innr RGB bulbs for an overnight lighting use, red light on motion.

2 Likes

That's why choice is such a great thing. I love my Sengled bulbs, they are 100% reliable for me on my system. Glad we're both happy.

4 Likes

I would say my Sengled experience has been decent for the most part as well. The BR30 bulbs are maybe a bit less reliable than their standard A series bulb counterparts - have had a few start flickering and die on me over the years.

Having said that the restore on power outage thing is critical for something like bedside lighting..

2 Likes

Which is the main reason I have only Hue lights on a Hue bridge in all bedrooms. The setting is saved on the individual bulbs so the lights donā€™t come on at all when power is restored, versus coming on until the hub turns them back off.

1 Like

I just recently started using Hue. But the Innr bulbs honor the power restore option in the advance zigbee bulb driver reliably. These Innr bulbs are also compatible with Hue (at less cost). The two guys that started Innr both came from Hue previously. I point this out for others looking for options that dont require another hub.

2 Likes

I think the lack of the repeating is not the only problem because I was getting failures when the Sengled bulbs were very close to other repeating Zigbee devices. I would agree with the work Glitchy.

1 Like

Are you saying that they donā€™t come on at all after a power outage or flicker? The best Iā€™ve seen is lights coming on for a few seconds before turning back off with bulbs other than Hue.

2 Likes

Restore power is a must have feature that the INNR bulbs provide. Nothing is worse than a power outage in the middle of the night and all your lights go on.

2 Likes

I have the same questionā€¦. Is this really a feature of the INNR bulbs that Hubitat actually implemented in the driver to configure (via Zigbee) the bulbā€™s power on restore behavior?

Or, is it just a feature of the Hubitat driver to detect a power restore event and then set the bulb to the userā€™s desired state?

Tagging @mike.maxwell as he would know for sure.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s how it seems to work with Sylvania and Sengled. Iā€™ve read that Hue writes this info to the bulb itself, as well as scene information, which is why scenes with different levels/color temps on each bulb turn on perfectly 100% of the time on my Hue lights.
I think the now defunct Osram bridge was able to change some of these settings on the bulb itself, but other issues made it not worth using over direct connection to Hubitat.

3 Likes

So far, in a little over a year, I haven't had them even flicker when power is restored (the ones directly paired to the hub). I Haven't had an opportunity to test the ones on the hue hub, but I have no reason to expect anything different. I have all of them set to power off when power restored. My Inovelli zwave bulbs also honer that settting reliably.

Unscrewing the Hue lights, Sylvania and Sengled, and screwing them back in (or unplugging, etc) is how I tested the feature on mine. The Hue donā€™t require any communication from the hub after a power failure, but the bulbs I have on HE do as they come on briefly until HE gets a report back from them and turns them back off.
I also thought that the power restore feature only worked with Hue bulbs on the Hue bridge. This isnā€™t the case?
It would definitely make INNR bulbs much more appealing.

3 Likes

It is a feature of the INNR bulbs. Hubitat's driver allows you to adjust it. Sengled does not have this feature and turns on after a power outage.

You do write this information directly to the INNR bulb. It will perform as configured even if the Hubitat hub is offline.

1 Like

Like the Hue the INNR bulb also requires no communication to restore back to last state; if so configured.

1 Like

I will test to see if there is a flicker but from what I have seen they just stay off. When I test it tonight I will report back.

1 Like

Hubitat's driver does let you change settings, but as far as I can tell, this is not a feature of the bulb. As of a couple years ago, the seller indicated they just turned on to their last state:

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx1HU3UZYI1K3VA/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza

I also checked the implementation in Zigbee2MQTT for a couple Innr bulbs (if there's a built-in way, someone usually figures it out) and don't see anything. So I'm not seeing any evidence besides the Hubitat driver, which doesn't support this point becsuse Hubitat's "Advanced Zigbee..." bulb drivers use some in-driver trickery to detect this, which works with many (but not all, e.g., Sengled) bulbs.

They are still good bulbs at a good proce point, but this just isn't something I find evidence of them supporting natively (fairly common to not support it, FWIW).

5 Likes

Thanks for clarifying things, Robert.

Just wanted to note that in recent discussion here about Sengled bulbs, some of their bulbs were reported to respect the restore to desired State settings in the driver.

Unfortunately it's been a while and I can't remember where the discussion is.