[Initial Release] Rule Machine Manager (New Rule Machine Interface)

Good idea.....all categories collapsed

How do you move an entire group? I want to move Original Items up.

1 Like

Lmao... I think you and I would get along well, personally. You think like me. So... I thought exactly the same thing. Here is my reasoning:

1. Usage - I don't know that people will be using this ALL the time. Sure, it's fun right now... but how much time are people actually going to spend expanding/collapsing?
  2. Clutter - The panels got cluttered pretty quickly during initial dev. I much prefer having the three dot menu, as it helps with future additions, and keeping things tidy. BUT, the downside is exactly what you mention. Each person is going to have different requests of what they think is most used, and want that top level. It becomes a slippery slope.

But, I like the idea of making the titles expand/collapse.
I think that would be a happy middle for right now.
I'm hoping more people will provide their "constructive" criticism along the way as well.

2 Likes

Click the three-dot menu on the right of the container.
Click "Move" and hold the mouse button.
Drag the container to the new location (blue border will appear on hover where you can drop) and release the mouse button.

2 Likes

Got the move part.

2 Likes

This is really nice!

2 Likes

I'm putting this link here for posterity.

There is good info which might help add some new functionality to Rule Machine Manager in the future.

RMUtils API Documentation

1 Like

Thank you very, very much!
Does this address a couple of your layout concerns from earlier? I'm hoping so.

1 Like

Yes, for sure. I'm like a kid in a candy store. Add color to the group name, maybe red.

Kind of a minor nit, but if you rename a rule, then open RMM again, the rule is in the same position, with new name. Caching issue, or need to re-sort?

2 Likes

Come to think about it, it's better than I suggested. Now you can move an existing group closer to the OR group to add or move new rules from the OR to the existing or new group. Very nice :+1:

2 Likes

@joshlobe
Same.
I'll just delete the app and start over, but thought you might like to know. It showed database migration as successful, but then a blank page.

Rebuilt from scratch - didn't take long.
Right now I'm hitting 'Done' a lot and then going back in to avoid drag and drop flakiness (especially after creating a new Group) - which I know is high on your list. My browser is Edge if you are wondering.
Thanks for the app!

1 Like

That is an accurate point you're making, people aren't going to want to spend a lot of time expanding and collapsing when they're using it on a daily basis, they'll be able to pop in, tap on a category to quickly expand it, and then open and work on the rules.

I am looking forward to using this app whenever accessing my rules. Be nice to not have to scroll down through all of them. :+1:

Many people in this forum who've spent a lot of time around me are now feeling very very sorry for you. :wink::grin:

2 Likes

Trying to understand here... What is the expected behavior?
Ohh.. like if you are sorted alphabetically? And a rule name is changed?
Yes, that would need a "sort" again.

I guess I could move sorting into the global options.
Whatever is selected (asc or desc) I could then reapply on each container whenever something triggers a change. But that would also mean sorting would be global; and not done on a per container basis.

1 Like

... and I see a blank page after updating.

If anyone experiences this... it's an issue with the options conversion. Don't immediately delete the app; but instead click the cog wheel. On the app settings page; check if you have a value for the user_array setting.

If you do... copy/paste that setting here for me. I can fix it in my editor; and send it back to you. This will preserve your settings correctly.

Otherwise, please feel free to remove and reinstall. I apologize for any time wasted.

2 Likes

Don't bother. Not worth the effort. :grin:

2 Likes

Is there a way to have a group inside a group?

Main group= Lighting
Bedroom - 2 items
Bathroom - 2 items
Deck - items
Pool - items

Main group= Motion
Kitchen
Garage
Family Room

Etc..

Not currently.. and you almost gave me a mild aneurism just thinking about how that logic would work. I like your thinking.. definitely something I didn't consider in the original specs. It would require another modification of the settings (uh-oh), and quite a bit or code rework.

I'm going to add it to the feature requests.. but I would not expect it anytime soon.

1 Like

Fair enough :wink:

2 Likes

I had a full on spit-take, lost half my beer. You owe me a drink, @junk7001!

2 Likes

Here's one on me :+1:

1 Like