Inexpensive voice notifications

The Zolo Mojo arrived. Works great for voice notifications.

Thanks for this follow up!!

Another low-cost option: the Eufy Genie speaker.

I've been using these for TTS for a couple of weeks. They are Alexa enabled, but you can use them as DLNA speakers without associating them with an Amazon account. (You do need the Eufy app to connect them to wi-fi, but can delete the app after that.)

The sound quality is adequate for TTS. At $15 to $17 apiece, they are the cheapest option I've come across for DLNA speakers.

4 Likes

Hi SMR06, is there device drive in HE for Eufy Genie?

I don't think Hubitat has built-in drivers for DLNA speakers, only for Sonos.

I used the Hubitat port of the DLNA Player driver and Media Renderer app from SmartThings. You can find them at this GitHub repo. The Networked Speaker Driver thread has extensive discussions about them.

The Media Renderer is only used for initial discovery. I disabled the app after assigning fixed IPs for the speakers.

Many thanks for replying with details. Regards, Tito

smr06 let me see if I got it well:

• Using a Eufy Genie speaker connected to my private network with a fixed IP (with my DHCP server I can deal with that) and the [MediaRenderer Player] you are confirming we can send TTS to the speaker or load a track (placed on a http server) WHILE WE ARE OFFLINE and that functions works well?

• Please confirm as well if you can change that track easily, another collegue on this forum mentioned to me this device doesn't like to change the loaded file so easily.

It would be interesting that option for that price, but I have to be sure because to buy that device is not easy as it is for you (there is no online store here in my country :wink: ), I will need to use the help of some friend who travel here every some months....

Raspberry Pi (~$35 USD)

Powered speaker ($5 at local charity shop -- $1K for audiophile, or anything in between)

Squeezebox/squeezelite software to play local music/internet streaming ($0)

HE squeezbox integration to play voice messages ($0) [Release - Updated 03/06/2019] Squeezebox Integration (Logitech Media Server)

The one part I haven't begun to look at is how to have HE override music that's currently playing (the rule would probably be something like: pause music, pause .25sec, play text announcement, pause .25sec resume music), with optional alert tones before the text, depending on the severity of the message (ie., water leak vs. lights left on).

Oh yeah, almost forgot...the squeezbox clients synchronize very well over wifi, and there's no required cloud (big brother) interaction -- you can play your local music collection, or stream stuff from Google, etc. if desired.

1 Like

Hi, any result yet with "override music that's currently playing"?

You're asking if I've made progress in the 2 hrs since I posted? Um, nope.

How is the Raspberry Pi used?

The RPI is a wifi-enabled music player. The squeezebox allows you to synchronize players or play different tracks on each. Think Sonos for ~$200 for a whole house.

The Pi has mini (3.5mm) headphone or HDMI output, can add on higher quality digital-to-audio converters.

See Max2Play for an example of a nicely configured software distro, with optional hardware.

Thanks. It is interesting. I took a quick look but will take a more thorough look later.

Thank you for your kind response...
Here in my screen there is a text saying "It’s been a while since we’ve seen 5fe94872fdbd2dbd06a8 — their last post was Apr 6."

So I guess you posted in April.. but thanks anyway dude.

I last posted in any thread here in April.

My first, and most recent post in this thread was about 2hrs before you asked if I had made any progress. :slight_smile:

Maybe the forum software could be enhanced to make that distinction.

I think that was an error from the forum web design... so is Ok.
Now I'm using VLC Things with good results.

These are interesting. So can they be set up and utilized just like my Samsung R1, for TTS

I'm not familiar with the Samsung R1. But a brief web search shows that it does support DLNA.

So -- if you are using the Media Renderer app for discovery, and the DLNA Player driver for the R1, then the same setup should work with the Eufy Genie.

The Genie is marketed as an Alexa speaker. DLNA is not advertised, but it is a hidden feature. (Another hidden feature is Airplay support.)

The sound quality is good enough for TTS, but I would not use it for music playback.

Thanks man. I might give one a try. Won't be the first $20 I thrown away on this stuff! LOL

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.