Increase Past Logs size?

Hi guys is there a way I can increase my past logs window to say 12 hours?

Iā€™ve got a weird issue Iā€™m trying to nail down but every time I notice the issue thereā€™s nothing in the logs as it happened outside the past log window.

My C7 reports 1GB free space in File Manager so it would be nice if we could specify a larger window when trouble shooting internment issues.

@bcopeland @bobbyD

I turn all logging off unless I'm trying to troubleshoot something.
That way the logs go back further as the log file is a set size.
This may help you.

I turn most logging off too, especially debug logging, but I only have about 2 hours of logs.

Mine goes back around 8 hours.
This is with 200 devices and around 200 rules etc.
I also turn off description text logging.

2 Likes

Ah ok, Iā€™ll do that too.

You must have some very chatty devices or apps that generate events very frequently. As mentioned below, 10MB worth of past logs should get you a lot further than just 2 hours.

1 Like

If all else fails, you can go the Node-Red route.
I'm not a programmer but found adding Node-Red to my PC wasn't too difficult. I have a small "flow" (a Node-Red graphical "program") that collects every event and writes it to a text file.

I use excel (or libreOffice) to analyze what is going on.

This way you can record virtually unlimited amount of data. Until you patience or harddrives gives out :slight_smile:

Notes:

1. Once you set it up. I've found I shut it off after I've found what I needed. But then when another issue comes up, with a few keystrokes you up an logging events again.

2. Only events are recorded not log errors so there are limitations in this approach.

3. Hubitat sends the events to the network whether or not you use node-red or not. There is no additional load on your Hub

2 Likes

I think I have too much app level logging turned on. That Said i finally noticed it happen while the logs still contained the data.

The actual issue Iā€™m having is my Upstairs Thermostat is randomly setting itself to 17.5c and I'm trying to track down what is causing this. I've been through all of the automation working with it but so far nothing matches up with the timestamps. :confused:

I could add node-red, but I just dont need it - Im comfortable enough with RM now that I have it doing everything I need it too.

1 Like

I have created a node.js routine that logs all "logs" to file. It uses websockets to get the logs (ws://ipaddress/logsocket). It is not ready for prime time as I have hardcoded items in there, but will share it if you want.

Cheers but I just just turned off logging for anything that didnā€™t need it.

Bizarrely, after the 12 hour power outage we had last night (wild storm), it hasnā€™t happened again. Yes, My C7 was shutdown cleanly after running for 6 hours on backup power.

I have built in log messages for all important items in my rules, not rule manager logging*), that way I can always debug my routines.

Have fun!

Im just turning on logging as needed now - it's not really needed for most things. Important events are logged to my email account via HEmail (HSM, House modes and presense changes etc).

Im wondering if RM was getting its panties in a twist somehow as the original problem that spawned this thread, has not resurfaced since my C7 was power cycled.

1 Like

Good to hear a power cycle seems to have worked out the ā€˜kinkā€™.
Why is it, that we often leave the easiest thing till last ??

1 Like