Inclusion of a Honeywell Lynx 5210 Alarm Panel w/ Z-Wave card

I have a Honeywell Lynx 5210 Alarm Panel w/ Z-Wave card that I have been successfully using as a secondary controller with a Vera Hub for years. Given Vera's poor support and flaky operation I have switched to the Hubitat Elevation that I received 2 weeks ago. I have successfully transferred (Included) my 30 devices of different brands to it, i.e. switches, plugs, dimmers, controllers, dialers, etc., and all are properly working. However, I cannot get the Lynx to be recognized to be included by the HE. I have done internet searches, watched videos of connecting Smarthings to it; searched the HE community, read the Lynx instructions; reset the automation controller several times creating new nodes; pressed the Lynx button and excluded it on the HE, tried to the include it with the Learn Lynx button and generic inclusion but failed to have it properly link. The best I can achieve is even though it does not show up in the HE, I can trigger a Lynx alarm or press it's all on button and every item in the HE device list turns on or turns off with the Lynx off button. No devices show up in either the Lynx device list or show up in the HE lists.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this, if not I may have to consider returning to Vera which I really do not wish to do.

FYI: I am a naive beginner with the HE but with a lot of NON-PROGRAMMING technical background experience. Historically tech support and product testing for Apple. The system I now have I totally designed purchased, and implemented myself.

Please Help!

Hubitat doesn't support secondary controller zwave inclusion, as you've seen. That is different from using a secondary controller like zwave usb sticks. This discussion may be helpful.

1 Like

I read the article which was somewhat convoluted but also more confused as I have already successfully added 2 other button controllers as secondary controllers to the HE. Additionally, I have installed in the Lynx the optional Z-Wave controller board. What makes things weirder is that when the Lynx is triggered it turns on all my HE Z-Wave devices despite the fact they do not appear in either the Lynx or as a device or controller in the HE. Actually, after considering that, I just might find such operation acceptable despite the bizarre behavior as opposed to going back to the Vera or trying out the Smarthings of which there is a video showing how it is done and that the Smartthings can now be linked to the Lynx. Since I purchased the HE from Amazon I am still within the return window if I decide to try the SmartThings which lacks the ability the last time I tried it to set parameters, which is why I abandoned in the first place. However I never actually had to set optional parameters.

Terminology is important. Button controllers are not the same as zwave secondary controllers. Master/slave is a better choice. Hubitat is always the master of it's zwave devices. I suspect your Honeywell also wants to be master of all zwave devices and based on your description it doesn't bother to check if there is another master on the network. It's going to be pain for you if you try keep two masters talking to the same devices.

1 Like

The Lynx has the ability to be configured as a secondary controller. I was able to set it up as a secondary controller with a Vera Hub. There is a YouTube video showing how to do it with a SmartThings Hub from Alarm Grid. Somehow the two devices are talking to each other invisibly right now but since the connection is invisible I cannot get an alarm trigger to activate the HE devices despite the fact that if I hit the Lynx "all devices on" button it turns on everything connected to the HE in my house.

Thinking outside the box I think I have figured out how to do it without the two controllers being connected by Z-Wave. The only thing it will require is an inexpensive piece of hardware that I have ordered from Amazon and creating a simple rule or scene with HE. If it works it will be a way to get almost any alarm system fault to trigger any or all z-wave devices connected to the HE. without any concern about alarm system compatibility. No programming, power hobbyist devices, or modification to the alarm system or HE required. In fact, the naivest user can likely do it in 15 minutes. I used a corollary to Occam's Razor to figure it out but have to get the hardware and test it before I share it.

Unfortunately, the current test failed as the only Z-wave or Zigbee sound sensors available only detect glass breakage, or smoke alarms that emit a particular sound or pattern. Now I am attempting to try a similar method but the new device will not arrive till Thursday. All that I am looking for is when My Lynx detects an alarm sensor it will send a signal to my HE that a rule will detect, turn on all my lights, strobe, and dial my phone sending an automated message to designated recipient's including myself. Everything already works from the HE. The only issue is getting the Lynx to trigger it. I already can get the Lynx to dial my phone via a Z-Wave switch and a phone dialer.

Finally Successful!! Finally figured out what z-wave hardware I needed to do this. While not giving me control over the Lynx via the HE. I achieved what I was trying to happen. That is when a Honeywell sensor goes off it triggers the Honeywell alarm system that then tells the HE to turn on all the lights in my home, including a strobe light; and calls me and some contacts on my landline with a personally recorded message indicating that the alarm has been triggered and to call the police with the option to listen into my hours. It will work even if cell service is down locally or if there is no power. It may even work if my internet service is down so long as my WiFi is working. With this system who needs an expensive security service that is often unreliable with monthly bills for essentially doing nothing for most of the time. The one-time cost of the Z-Wave hardware was ~$80. Not only that it is a method that can be used on most any smart alarm system that supports Z-Wave but without additional added circuitry, other than sometimes optional Z-Wave cards; does not require setting up the alarm system as a secondary controller or uploading Z-Wave devices to the alarm system. In fact, the HE or the alarm system does not even have to know the other exists. Installation is simple and requires no special skills. The only programming required is setting up a scene and 2 basic rules. As such you don't need to be a hobbyist, hacker or have a degree or experience in programming to set this up. Additionally, once the HE is triggered by the alarm you can set up other rules in the HE to respond any way you choose with any of your other Z-Wave devices enrolled in the HE. The only thing you can't do, which I wish it could, is remotely turn off the alarm.