In case you missed it: Hubitat announced beta HomeKit compatibility [YouTube]

How do I enroll in the public beta to be able to try this out? I've searched everywhere and was able to find the beta for the iOS app, but not the actual firmware on the HE...

A few points to make:
@NeighborGeek :

1. "Homekit support does not require a homekit hub device (AppleTV or Homepod), but it is recommended for a better experience. That's true for homekit in general, not a limitation of the hubitat integration."
    I do not think that this is correct. In order to get the bridge into HomeKit (for use on your IPhone), you must have a "landing" on an IPad or Apple TV. I am not 100% certain of this, but I know this has been the case until now.
  2. A real benefit of the HomeBridge App from Tonesto is that it runs on an intermediary device (most likely a RPI). At a recent client site, I integrated the Ring Cameras (that I had installed), into the Homebridge on the RPI. This allowed the client to see her cameras on the same screen (her IPad) as she saw her Hubitat devices. (A major benefit). Other HomeBridge plugins include: logitech Harmony and many others. (https://www.makeuseof.com/homebridge-plugins-control-smart-home/)
  3. These two points are in no way to take away from the accomplishment of being accepted into the Apple "walled garden". This is a major step forward for Hubitat.
1 Like

Great news and thank you Hubitat Team !
As @user1047, there are several uses of Homebridge (and Hoobs) outside of being an intermediary between HE and Homekit. I do not think those of us who have invested on a RPI are loosing this investment completely.

A couple of questions :
1 - Do you have an estimated date for the first release outside of the Beta testing ?
2 - Does that mean that Thread support is also in the roadmap ?

Does that even Matter?

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

10 Likes

The "homekit hub device" allows for access to your Home devices when outside your home network. You can run Home locally without one of those.

1 Like

You don't need to enroll in the beta program. Check out this document for more details:

type or paste code here

How does homebridge get around this restriction? I literally use Siri to open garage and unlock doors almost daily to unlock/open hubitat devices.

1 Like

Just because you can, doesn't mean they allow you to do it. Much like jaywalking.

1 Like

I update yesterday to the last version and the app work like a charm! I change all my devices that passes through hombridge to Hubitat HomeKit and the process was easy and fast!. But today I notice that all my devices (in iOS home app) was not responding (but in hubitat was ok). I reboot the hubitat hub and all devices come back to online status in Home App.

Thanks you for this BIG update!

2 Likes

Interesting about the microwave sensors. Are they FCC approved? I did not see an FCC logo on the device. Any device that transmits RF energy requires FCC approval for import/use. Please make sure that Hubitat is complying with FCC regulations.

Wouldn't that be on the manufacturer of the device? Hubitat can't control that (or stop you from using anything that pairs with the hub).

5 Likes

And the end user. There are home made devices that use mmwave radar as well.

3 Likes

If not the manufacturer, then the importer. We can't control Chinese manufacturers. However, it falls on the ones importing it to make sure it complies. The end user definitely needs to check to make sure the devices comply.

I'm a licensed amateur radio operator. I have enough devices around that cause interference with my radios already.

Hi,

According to the instructions, after the update to the latest version (2.3.4.114), the HomeKit Integration should appear in the Add Built-In App, but it is not happening.

What is the recommendation? Procedure to solve the problem?

Thanks.

Wait a few minutes, then search again. Some apps load slower after a reboot.

virtual switches

Homebridge doesn't use virtual switches to get around this. Homebridge just does it because they are not certified, not aiming for certification (Hubitat is--and that would be a workaround for an end user), and can do whatever they want. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ok, I did the upgrade over two hours ago, and I forced a reboot now and it came up, thanks.

1 Like

Good morning everyone. Huge thanks for the update Hubitat team!

I just disabled my Homebridge app and installed and configured the new Beta app. Everything worked great!

Quick note - when adding a few devices into HomeKit i got an error that the device named needed to begin and end with a letter or number. it appears that a few of my devices came over into HomeKit with a trailing space. I just deleted the space - and the devices imported perfectly.

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving!

1 Like

It appears that the Thinka hub did include Garage doors. Curious how they are getting around this