In case you missed it: Hubitat announced beta HomeKit compatibility [YouTube]

virtual switches

Homebridge doesn't use virtual switches to get around this. Homebridge just does it because they are not certified, not aiming for certification (Hubitat is--and that would be a workaround for an end user), and can do whatever they want. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ok, I did the upgrade over two hours ago, and I forced a reboot now and it came up, thanks.

1 Like

Good morning everyone. Huge thanks for the update Hubitat team!

I just disabled my Homebridge app and installed and configured the new Beta app. Everything worked great!

Quick note - when adding a few devices into HomeKit i got an error that the device named needed to begin and end with a letter or number. it appears that a few of my devices came over into HomeKit with a trailing space. I just deleted the space - and the devices imported perfectly.

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving!

1 Like

It appears that the Thinka hub did include Garage doors. Curious how they are getting around this

A post was split to a new topic: Why is the Apple Home integration listed as "Uncertified Accessory"

Was excited for this, but after digging in, I guess I will have to continue using Homebridge v2. Gaage Doors, Capability Filters, etc are a few reasons why. I'm curious, how can Homebridge allow these other types of devices but Hubitat can't? I am guessing because Hubitat is looking for certification? IMO, I think it would be better to say screw certification, let's make something that works awesome and is more flexible and customizable than Apple's "rules" allow. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

This

1 Like

AKA Homebridge.

I'm not sure what the sentiment is aiming for. We've had Homebridge for years, will have it for years to come. It runs on a great number of environments which means it runs for almost free in many, many homes. Now Hubitat is going to offer something rare in the Home Automation environment.. Apple Certified. This seems like a big gain to the community to me.

My Homebridge is built, working and without any issues. Why would I tear it down to replace it with.. the same result? That's too much work for zero gain. Hub Mesh is the same. I've been using HubConnect since it's inception, I understand it, it works perfectly. I gain zero by replacing it and lose a whole weekend of time.

10 Likes

That's an easy position for an individual consumer to take.

For a corporation based in the US and trying to make money by selling a home automation hub to consumers (i.e. Hubitat Inc.) that integrates with Apple’s HomeKit, probably not a great idea.

3 Likes

I just set this up it works great. The first thing I tried was Somfy blinds controlled through a Z-wave ZURSTI. It works great.

1 Like

I upgraded and enabled the HomeKit app (BETA). Then after seeing how things work and getting sad and frustrated, disabled it and went back to HomeBridge. :frowning:
I got Hubitat HomeKit app installed, connected, and devices exposed to HomeKit. Fairly easy and clean process. However, Group and Scene switches do not behave correctly or as expected. I would turn on a Group or Scene switch and it worked, except that then that same switch in HomeKit would turn off. It did leave the lights / scene on as configured. I could not figure out how to get the switch to stay on when activated. Which then I could not turn off the group or the scene. That was frustrating.
Other issue was fan control. I could not adjust the speed of the ceiling fan. I would even try to use the HomeKit slider for fan speed but always would go back to 0%, but the fan was on full speed. I could only turn off and on the fan. What would be nice is button progression of fan speed like what is available in Hubitat itself. But could be a HomeKit limitation on fan control.
With a group switch that controlled the actual led lights themselves and setup as export as RGBW, I couldn't switch from color to temperature style in HomeKit.
The button controller wasn't great and not easy to use. My buttons typically control activating a scene or a group switch. I don't use all the buttons taps. It would be nice to disable button taps not used.
This is probably a HomeKit issue, but when you tell HomeKit to individualize the button tap accessories it does them all, not just the ones you want / need.
Note, all my switches are Inovelli's zwave. My lights are Sylvania RGBW's Zigbee.

I know this is new and beta. There is not much documentation on what everything means and how it performs or interacts with Homekit. I do have great high hopes for the app. Just needs some more fine tuning.

With homebridge, hubitat app for homebridge, and homekit, when turning on a group light or a switch for a scene or group, that switch does stay on and will turn off when turned off / deactivated.

Homebridge is definitely ahead of Hubitat but that will not be for long.

1 Like

Maybe they can add a device type configuration for each device. I use HomeKit only individual devices and any groups or scenes are done there if needed. Most of my customers need basic on/off switches/lights and they are happy. I use the Lutron Integration the most...works flawlessly.

1 Like

I had been using Homebridge V2 from GITHUB. I disabled/removed the app and removed my bridges from my Homekit by the 2nd attempted run of the new beta. On the third attempt and reboot with the new Beta, the Hubitat was still indicating a severe condition so I limited it further. Fourth attempt, still no success. So, I reconfigured with Homebridge V2 (Tonesto), then spent the next hour reassigning rooms on Apple Home.

I also noted it wasn't picking up some of the sensors so that they could be added to the configuration.

It also didn't show two Zooz Zen51 Dry Contact Relays that I have configured as single speed fan switches.

I'm still very interested in this update, I just don't have a lot of time to configure and reconfigure. It seems no matter what Apple Home is going to make you assign all the room names which eats too much time.

RWB

Having a little issue with getting HomeKit to connect to the bridge with the QR code. Any solutions?

I stick to simple switches and blinds. That seems to work well?

Mine are simple switches ZooZ /GE Jasco, the later has a capacitor that blows, so I’ve been replacing them with ZooZ as they fail

I experienced the same issue with ceiling fan control.

QR trouble as well. Instructions say...
"1. Select Add Accessory, and scan QR code from the Hubitat HomeKit Integration app when prompted (scroll down to the bottom of the page on Hubitat to see it) ."

I'm not finding a QR code. Where is it?

"2. Choose devices to authorize by checking the box next to the device(s)."
I click the box next to a device, and nothing happens. the screen seems to "dim" a bit and no check mark, (of course this may be why no QR code shows up)?