In case you missed it: Hubitat announced beta HomeKit compatibility [YouTube]

That option doesnā€™t show for all devices. Lights, in particular, do not show that option. Iā€™m afraid if my switched outlet is sent as a light, Iā€™ll be stuck with that.

August connect is HomeKit compatible. Does Apple not allow locks and garage doors?

Anyone else having issues with getting the HomeKit to connect to the bridge via the QR code? Mine still will not connect.

They do, but Hubitat is classified as a HomeKit bridge (or at least that is what Hubitat anticipates), and the limitation is that Apple's guidelines do not allow these devices via bridges. Direct connections are supported.

1 Like

The joys of a proprietary system, ostensibly locked down for "security" with the added benefit of user lock-in and vendors held hostage. It kind of puts Hubitat, Inc in an awkward position in implementing this cool new feature. :rage:

It will be interesting to see how these companies implement their vision of what Matter and Thread are supposed to be. I'm sure there will be a lot of "interpretation" of the spec relative to the openness of their own networks and products to others.. I hope it will be okay but am a little skeptical :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Ahā€¦ I didnā€™t remember that Home Bridge is unofficial. Thanks for clarifying.

Would there be any issues of having (1) direct integration for locks and garage doors into Hubitat and also (2) direct integration also into HomeKit? Seems like it would workā€¦

If thereā€™s a lock or garage door opener that can integrate directly with both, then yes it should.

But it would have to be a WiFi device to work directly with HomeKit, and I donā€™t think there are any WiFi locks or GDOs that are compatible with Hubitat.

1 Like

No native integrations but there are community integrations for August and Switchbot locks in HE that have been working great for me. August works with Homekit.

2 Likes

If I'm not going to use the apple homekit compatibility, is there any consequence from not installing this update?

You won't have the benefit of other bug and security fixes, as well as other platform updates.

1 Like

But, having said that, thereā€™s nothing forcing you to upgrade either. But it will be included in all releases from now on

2 Likes

You would be missing 50+ other items that have been released. Homekit is just one item :wink:

Check out the release notes for what else the last update included:

5 Likes

Do I understand correctly? There is a way to integrate August WiFi lock into HE?
How about Schlage WiFi?
Can you direct me where to find this wonderful thing?

It works well for me. I have upgrade a lot of hubs for my customers with no issues.

Is this found in HE Program manager? search for August ???
or, ??? Thx

Yes, it's not local though as far as I know. Look to install with Hubitat Package Manager.

Hi All,

Reviving this topic to see where this stands. I see with the latest update it is still in beta. Where does it stand for stability updates (I have seen a number of folks having troubles) and final acceptance by Apple?

Itā€™s been very stable for me, turning off the hourly service restart made a big difference to overall hub stability.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Homekit issues