Implementing Caseta Scenes

I was using the Caseta Skill with Alexa until I hit the 50 device limit on the Lutron Caseta Bridge, and so I purchased another Caseta Bridge and HE to integrate both the Castea Bridges in my Home Automtation and with Alexa

I have managed to load the Castea Integration App and devices setup on both Bridges. I can manually control the devices on both bridges through HE.

I have managed to get Alexa to disccover the devices using the Hubitat Skill.

NOW...

I need assistance setting up Scenes that are on the on Caseta Bridges in Hubitat and discovery in Alexa.

I have a scene on my Caseta Bridge called “Kitchen to Night”. It dims certian lights and turns off others. It is designated as follows in the Integration report:

{
        "Name" : "Kitchen To Night",
        "Number" : 3
      },

I have managed to create a Lutron Keyboard Device (k,1,Caseta Scenes) and can execute a scene by entering the associated keypad number (3) from the Integration report and pushing the virtual device keypad button. This works fine, if you want to manually control the virtual caseta device and enter the button number before pushing the virtual button.

But my end game is to create a scene and have it executable from voice by calling out to Alexa, and saying “set the Kitchen to Night”

So, how do you create a scene where you do not need to enter the associated scene number into the virtual device.

IE cretae a virtual device and store the associated scene number from the Integration report in the virtual device?

and Then, have Alexa discover the device as a scene and not a device?

Thanks.

Thanks for your post, I used your approach to create a virtual keypad in Hubitat to control the scenes defined on my Caseta Pro2 hub.

Above you also ask how to control the keypad once it is created. I just created a rule in Rulemachine 4.0 to push the specified buttons in the virtual keypad you described when, in my case, the 4 buttons of a Caseta scene controller are pushed. Happily, it worked on the first try, just like everything else I have tried on the Hubitat in the last few days. Similarly, you could create a rule to trigger your scenes based on whatever criteria you specify in Rulemachine 4.0.

Hope this helps.

Hubitat Scenes will also push a button. The Caséta scenes are "phantom buttons" on the SmartBridge Pro. You can add the SBP as a Lutron Keypad device. It has 100 buttons. Once that device is available, all of the Caséta scenes become available as single buttons that can be pushed from any app.

The SBP is device id 1.

Thanks, this helps. The excellent integration with Caseta SBP is why I bought a Hubitat last week, and so far I'd rate the entire experience as excellent.

3 Likes

I have my SBP added as a keypad and see it's ID as 1 and my first scene one the SBP is 1. How do I establish a button that engages that scene (on) and then a second press engages the next scene, 2 on my SBP (off)?

{
"LIPIdList" : {
"Devices" : [
{
"ID" : 1,
"Name" : "Smart Bridge 2",
"Buttons" : [
{
"Name" : "Front Entry Inside Outside On",
"Number" : 1
},
{
"Name" : "Front Entry Inside Outside Off",
"Number" : 2

You'd have to have some logic (Rule Machine) to choose what button to push. Those Phantom Buttons are just button numbers of a keypad with 100 buttons.

Rule Machine, Button Controller, and other apps can push a button. RM lets the number be in a variable.

Even Scenes can push buttons.

Wow, thanks for the speedy response! Any must reads getting started with this? I am a systems guy and thus far this is the least intuitive system I've messed with, in it's defense I suspect I've gotten off on the wrong foot. I have the HE, SBP and on the way a MyQ Bridge and soon to be installed Honeywell T6. Maybe it's going to jump out and bite me. Is there an implementation guide or administrator manual of sorts?

Most apps have links to documentation in the upper right hand corner. docs.hubitat.com. Also, many apps have links to tutorial videos in the same place. This community is a great resource for getting questions answered.

1 Like