I'm planning to move to Hubitat

yes, in HE you only provide the app the devices you want it to see. It's not a admin tool, it's a customisable user interface as it should be, if you require.

1 Like

Like SmartThings before the great "Samsunging" HE is extremely customizable. There are a ton of excellent 3rd party apps and drivers available.

If you have an Android phone this is a very cool 3rd party dashboard for HE..

1 Like

How is the interactive speed of the dashboard in iOS guys?

I dunno maybe @danabw can chime in - he's part of the cult of Apple I think..

I am not using the HE DB as my setup is more oriented toward automation than remote control. I do have a dashboard that controls my HE devices via a separate system called Node-RED that I can access anywhere via a locally running VPN (WireGuard). The NR DB is more rudimentary than HE's but for my use-case it's fine.

1 Like

Oh yeah, much better :grin:

1 Like

I just recently made the transition, but for reliability reasons. It seemed ST had some sort of system-wide issue weekly, and I had little local issues all the time.

Have you tried webcore on ST? It also exists on HE, and it runs locally instead of on someone else's computer.

My HE doesn't seem to let me add additional users at all. However, you can assign dashboards to people to limit what they can control. The dashboards can either be in the cloud or local, from the looks of it.

This may still be the case, but dashboards sure are customizable. You can access them inside the app, or with a only a web browser.

I like it so far. I ran into a few devices that don't work with HE, but did with ST. I'd check the compatibility list, or search elsewhere for drivers to prep. I also ended up purchasing a z-wave stick to include some S0 devices without security to increase performance and reduce issues, which was recommended by another user.

There's an app for that; I haven't tried it. I just transitioned one or two rooms at a time.

It looks like I can, but I only have one device attached at the moment. You can for sure do this with pushover, if you can use the native app in this way.

I like that anything that can be done on the phone can be done on the PC. I prefer operating from a PC over a phone, except when pairing devices that aren't portable. The response time for local stuff is crazy fast.

For me, it's slower for me than using a web browser to control HE. We are in agreement; the app speed doesn't seem to be an issue in ST. For me, adding a scene shortcut on the android launcher reduced any speed concern (so you don't have to open the apps at all).

My list of cons (when compared to ST):

• Crashing z-wave radio (resolved using advice from other members and support)
  • Less compatible devices (most missed: Ikea buttons)
  • Some apps cause performance issues, when they didn't in ST cloud (most missed: influx db logger)
  • No wifi (not a big deal for me)
  • Weaker signal strength (just add a plug nearby)

To be fair, my con list for ST:

• Musical chairs with device control: The old app, new app, and portal (not one does everything you need)
  • Cloud controlled stuff
  • Vanishing features (Echo speaks)
  • Non-stop maintenance and changes
  • No nest support (got SDI beta working on HE, it's awesome, but difficult to setup)

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. The grass wasn't always green during the transition, so plan on a little transition woes.

1 Like

I use Apple devices (iPad and iPhone) and I find it extremely fast. I would say maybe somewhere between 100 and 300ms from press to click (light turning on)...

1 Like

I use the dashboard on iPhone and iPad and it's pretty zippy.

Oh Nooooooo...I remember standing in line to purchase my first smartphone, and it was a Motorola Droid v1. :slight_smile: I have a couple i-devices (iphone and ipad), but really only use Android.

1 Like

When I moved from ST to HE I used HubConnect to ease the transition. HubConnect allows you to control devices paired to your ST hub from your HE hub. As I built my HE automations I used HE groups instead of individual devices. That way when I moved devices from ST to HE I just added them to the group and I didn't have to mess around with a whole bunch of automations.

Many folks (me included) do not add zigbee bulbs directly to HE but rather use a secondary hub (in my case Phillips) on a different channel to control zigbee bulbs. Zigbee bulbs tend to cause havoc because they will repeat ZLL OK but don't do a great job on ZHA. There's really nice integration between HE and Hue.

Here's one of my dashboards...taken from a browser not a mobile device but basically the same thing. I'm colorblind so mine tend to be less colorful than others :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are so fickle.

1 Like

The only issue with a slow migration is that during the transfer you can cause ST hub issues as you remove more and more devices. If going this approach I like to add a couple of repeaters to HE at the beginning radiating outward then from the old hub working starting farthest away start excluding then including devices working inward.

I did this with a C-4 to C-7 migration, worked well.

1 Like

I owned an Apple Lisa when I was in college. That's hard-core Apple cult material.

4 Likes

I fried an Apple ][ on my very first programming job by plugging in the printer card backwards.. very sparky. Have avoided most things Apple until recently still somewhat traumatized...

If you want to use a dashboard on Apple, I can recommend an approach that I just completed for a client.
I used the following user developed bridge to send the Hubitat data to HomeBridge (which runs on a Raspberry PI:

That sends the data over to a mounted IPad at the site.
The Homekit application on that IPad then allows all the members of the family to share devices.
(This uses a Raspberry PI that I was using anyway, in order to do Hubitat text message and Hubitat email notifications.)
After setup, this works very seamlessly.

Other people here use the MakerAPI to send data over to HomeBridge and then to Apple:

....there are lot's of alternatives.... due to the inherent flexibility of the Hubitat platform

2 Likes

I resemble that remark. I started my migration right before Christmas and had no major issues transitioning Zigbee devices.
Z-Wave has been a ride, since I found that some of my older (hardwired) devices will only exclude from SmartThings if they are within a few feet of the hub. 5 devices (+ 3 repeaters) remain on SmartThings. Amazingly, they still work, although they take incredibly tortuous paths. One device claims that it is routed through the same repeater twice!

2 Likes

Counseling is available, for a small fee.

:wink:

2 Likes

This solution is the one I ended up going with, I find it incredibly responsive and it fits with the "local first" policy I impose on myself, which frankly I didn't expect that it would.

I run Homebridge on a Mac mini (which is also our media server and a bunch of other things) and expose devices to it using the Maker API from one of my two Hubitat hubs. I can then share the home through the Home app on iOS to other family members.

The only way family see the smart home tech is through HomeKit and they can customise their own dashboards however they like. I don't expose things such as exterior lights and timers through the Maker API as they should be fully automated by Hubitat.

The best bit is that all control is local unless you leave your home network. Then you can use an Apple TV or an iPad as a home hub for off-site control through iCloud if you want that functionality. Your device communicates via iCloud to whatever you've set up as the "home hub", which in turn communicates over your local network to Homebridge.

3 Likes

Yep thats why I pre-ordered the Homepod Mini to be used as an HK hub. Pretty much the least expensive Apple device right now.

1 Like

Why can't we just use the dashboard on iOS devices instead of using a 3rd service?

It's about the latency of updating the status. Sometimes, when I turn on a light, it took 3-5 seconds to update the status from OFF to ON. Sometimes, I press to turn on the light, it took too long to react and turn on the light.

So we can't add an additional user to let other family members control devices, with specific permissions?