Ikea trip: What to buy?

Mine so far.. I'm using webcore to push the data to influx. Not sure why my air quality index shot up like that overnight though.

1 Like

Hello:

I'd like to expose the airqualityindex and PM25 to HomeKit. Right now only the temp and humidity is exposed to HomeKit.

Are there any modifications to the driver that can accomplish this?

Probably @gopher.ny can help us - are there HomeKit entities that can be mapped to airQualityIndex and pm2.5 attributes?

I currently have my VINDSTYRKA connected to my Dirigera hub, which is hooked into Home Assistant via the HA Homekit Controller integration.

The HA Homekit Controller integration will only show devices that are Homekit compatible, and it is showing all of the sensor data from the device.

Long winded way of saying there should be entities that can be mapped for the attributes.

1 Like

@bradford.clarke thank you for the info!
I am curious how often is the Air Quality value updated in the Ikea app, when used with Drigera hub?
Does it update every second (if you intentionally rapidly change the air quality ), or less frequently ?

@rad1 I see only the Air Quality Level (Good, Moderate, Unhelthy, etc... ) available on Apple Home.
Are you looking for the numerical value (the airQualityIndex) ?

As there is not a standard pm2.5 attribute specified in Hubitat Capabilities List, I am afraid that the p,2.5 is not possible to be shown using the official / inbuilt HomeKit integration.

Update: an request for adding Dust Sensor capability in Hubitat was published here.

1 Like

@kkossev

Yes, I would like to see the Air Quality Level, the numerical value of airQualityIndex and PM25.

I am curious as to the screen shots you posted above. Are they from your HomeKit? If so, how were you able to display the Air Quality level without an Ikea hub?

I did see on the Hubitat Capabilities List that there is not an attribute for pm25. Admittedly, not being very knowledgeable about driver coding, if the PM25 value/variable is still displaying in your hubitat driver, I don't understand why it still can't be mapped to a HomeKit value/variable that does represent PM25. I have taken up this conversation as well in a different post below. Hoping someone from HE can comment soon,

@bradford.clarke: Since you are using the IKEA hub would it be possible for you to post screen shots of what all the values/variables look like in HomeKit?

Hmmm. I looked at my frient air quality monitor. I notice that too doesn't have the aqi either... @gopher.ny @mike.maxwell Is this a driver issue or a integration issue? Just curious

Seems like HomeKit is taking the airQualityIndex (number 0..500), but is converting it internally and is showing it as airQualityLevel ('Good,' 'Moderate', etc... ).

@rad1 yes, I am using the HE inbuilt HomKit integration app.

Mine doesn't get the reading in homekit so I assume it's simply a built in driver issue..

Double-checked - the airQuality is coming from Hubitat integration, not from somewhere else :

'Test Room' is the default Apple Home room where all newly added devices will appear on my phone.

2 Likes

It is both a built in driver issue and a HomeKit integration app issue. I have also tried to attract staff attention to this

1 Like

And BTW in case there is any doubt regarding the usefulness of such metrics for automation vs just eye candy, I'm using CO2 sensors with Hubitat to drive ventilation in my home (HRV + extractor fans, so far) and PM to automate air cleaners.

Works great, but having the metrics visible in the Home app would help FAF as they can easily check what is going on on their phone.

@kkossev

I am actually not using HE's built in HomeKit integration. I am using a third party's custom HE App/Driver along with the corresponding Homebridge plugin all from Tonesto7. It's been flawless.

So, here's what is odd. His HE app/driver does not display airqualityindex, airqualitylevel or PM in HomeKit. But. When I go to the logs in my homebridge his plugin does show airqualityindex as a number and PM25. But does not show airqualitylevel.

I blew into the back of the device and within a second the humidity and air quality values increased.
I sat the device down and the numbers started to drop within a few seconds, so it is reacting quickly.

I'll check the logs when I get home later and see if there's any consistency in the reporting values.

I'm allergic to Apple products :rofl:

I don't actually have any Apple HomeKit devices, i simply use the Home Assistant HomeKit controller integration as a way to get most of the devices connected to my Dirigera hub into Home Assistant.

Apple Home is now showing Air Quality as ''Excellent', while this driver (using the airnow.gov scale ) determines it as 'Good'. The numerical value of the airQualityIndex was 34. Higher value switched it to 'Moderate' in HE, but 'Good' in Apple Home.

1 Like

I'm confused - I thought the Hubitat integration only supported built-in drivers?

No, the restriction is for user-created virtual device drivers only, not for real Zigbee or Z-wave device drivers.

1 Like

Thanks - although it appears the restriction actually does not apply to real Zigbee or Z-wave devices. To test this, I sacrificed a Zigbee plug and changed its driver to a cloud device driver and lo and behold, the cloud device's attributes (for supported capabilities) are now available to HomeKit. Not sure what is the point of this restriction.

This is a requirement for certification for "bridge" devices like Hubitat, according to Hubitat's interpretation of these requirements. If/when certification happens, we will see what Apple thinks. Supported (and not) device typed are documented.

Considering that the hub knows if a device is Zigbee or Z-Wave by way of how it was added, that is likely what it's using to determine eligibility--not just the driver (though that does matter too for at least certain capabilities). Using LAN or cloud driver for a Zigbee or Z-Wave device isn't really a viable solution if you want to actually use the device, so the above is interesting but not exactly a viable "hack" for most cases. :slight_smile: