IKEA Trådfri Signal Repeater

Oh, and I guess I should mention that I did upgrade my Ikea repeaters to whatever the latest firmware was at the time (using zigbee2mqtt which supports OTA updates for Ikea, not hubitat).

There has been at least one firmware update since they were originally released, so that is one possibility of why they fall off the mesh for some and not others.

But also may have nothing to do with that. Who knows? :man_shrugging: I wasn't having issues with them dropping off the network before I upgraded firmware either - so that isn't as very good data point.

I do not have a way to check or update them. I understand it can also be Thorne through the Tradfri Hub, which I do not own.

Mine vary in firmware level. I have six - none of them have dropped. My Aqara devices router very well through them:

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 6.25.48 PM

Can you explain how you did it? (external power) I've some Xiaomi sensors and sometimes I need to put them in tricky places and it will be a relief if I can forgot the change of their batteries.
Thanks!

Could you point me in the direction of instructions to do so?

Here you go...

You can find various guides and tips around the forum to how to open Xiaomi Aqara and Mijia sensors. The Mijia contact sensors are the easiest to open and solder wire to for power. They look nice too and work exactly the same at the Aqara.

Here's a guide to opening the Aqara motion sensor

You bet!

Would you expect the talk of device firmware updates "from HE to devices" to bode well for offering a path to doing the same you did with zigbee2mqtt ?

Although it is currently focused on zwave devices, I believe that zigbee fw updates are planned to be supported in the future.

3 Likes

That's what I understand too. Not sure when/how though.

1 Like

This is really helpful, thank you. I wish this info was available in the normal UI, but it's nice to know it's available at all.

Hi guys, I've paired an Ikea repeater with my HE just now but it won't report its state - I've done some troubleshooting but couldn't get it to work at all:

• Added a test zigbee device to HE but I was sitting centimeters away from the repeater and across the other side of the house from the HE hub yet the device wouldn't pair with the repeater which I checked under the HE's zigbee routing table
  • Deleted the device and re-added it
  • Rebooted HE
  • Deleted the test zigbee device and re-added it which ended up pairing with the HE hub again

Some devices are running off my bathroom hue light but I made sure I switched it off while performing the tests so that the test zigbee device wouldn't try and connect to it.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance.

Wait. Zigbee will route on its own time.

There's no status for repeaters in the driver details.

How far is that and what obstructions, reflections and objects might be attenuating the signal?
IKEA Trådfri repeaters aren't the most powerful, but these sure do sound interesting.

2 Likes

Not unless you use these drivers rather then the native ones. [Release] Generic Zigbee Drivers with Presence and Recovery

Yes good find. They do sound interesting.
I hope that’s NOT a micro USB connector though. I hate those things !

Thanks a lot for the info, much appreciated.

The repeater seem to have picked up a couple of devices now - I'll check out the repeaters you suggested though. Cheers.

I'll give it go :wink:

I think the cost to Australia would be prohibitive though. Xbee is probably less expensive than that one for you.

And not out of stock :wink:

Indeed it is

xbees are quite pricey over here (now that the s2c's are no longer available) + you need to add the interface carrier for USB power on top of that. A good alternative is a CC2530/CC2591 combo which is far better then a CC2531 or tradfri.

1 Like