IKEA Trådfri Signal Repeater

I ended up getting the outlets - in the US they are $9.99 vs $11.99 and I think maybe a bit more usable. Even though they are "longer" they seem to have a slightly slimmer profile against the wall (and are grounded).

1 Like

I was going to go with the outlets as well, but I already have a ton of Smartthings outlets that I have scattered about the house. Some of them don't have anything plugged into them and are just an eyesore (so says the wife). I like the repeaters because I can plug them into one of the various 6 port Anker chargers I have around the house and they don't look quite as bad. I mounted one of these chargers under my dining room table for when we have guests over and I put a repeater into that as well. The other thing is that if you have continuously powered USB ports on pretty much any device (PC, RPis, TVs, game consoles, etc), you can plug a repeater into them as well.

Arghhhh, I misunderstood apologies!!! The end bit off the plug is the repeater..and it's removable from the outlet. I should have figured that out from the earlier picture. Morning coffee has not kicked in apparently.. very cool device for certain situations. I guess I still prefer the outlet.

2 Likes

I'm on my second cup. Catch up!!! LOL

Yeah, the limited distance isn't great, but we are talking about a 5v device that can be put pretty much anywhere. And don't get me wrong about the outlets. They are great devices as well (Ikea is killing it this year with smart home tech), but the WAF goes down a couple points every time she sees an outlet plug. LOL

We went to Ikea twice this past weekend so I could finish redoing our kitchen lights and I was sitting there contemplating on getting a couple more of the 1000lm blubs just to have as spares. She stopped me from getting them and thankfully she did. When we got home, I went into my bulb container to take stock and I had 6 of them still in boxes. LOL

1 Like

Has any one had luck with the ikea motion sensor? It shows up but I haven’t figured out how to set it up to trigger.

My understanding is these are only capable of pairing with bulbs. Very simple.

If you're looking for inexpensive, fast, small motion sensors with great battery life, the Xiaomi are something to consider. You can just buy some IKEA Trådfri Outlets or Repeaters, the Zigbee mesh strengthens, and the Xiaomi seem to be very stable. I have only dropped a Xiaomi leak sensor in the basement by the water main since November 2018 when the outlets were installed. The only thing you need to do is wait. Average delivery time is a month.

Thanks! Luckily Ikea isn’t too far

1 Like

China is though. The waiting is the hardest part. Nice little motion sensors. Have now modded one with a 5 second response time that you can increase to whatever you want with the community driver, and I added external power for outdoor use to trigger my Wyze cam instead of the overly sensitive built-in motion detection.

What should the device type be for the Tradfri Repeater? Mine defaults to "Device".

There isn't one, device is fine as the repeater has no commands, nor attributes, and just needs to be joined to do its job.

Ok, thanks!

Bought a IKEA Trådfri Signal repeater today and it paired fine, even from 9 meters away, needed a thin needle to press and hold the reset button for about 5 secs.

mine too

That's what it's supposed to be. Just "Device" as it doesn't do anything beyond act as a repeater, so there's no driver needed for it to work. It just takes messages from the hub and passes them onto devices and vice versa. :slight_smile:

Exactly. "Device" is as expected.

1 Like

I got mine to pair with my Hubitat C4 today, havnt dotten it to report anything yet thou, any help are welcome

The Trådfri motion sensors are not supported. They only support device to device pairing.

If you want an inexpensive motion sensor, the Xiaomi are great and stable with enough Trådfri outlets near by or Trådfri signal repeaters. Plus there's a cool hack you can do to the Xiaomi motion sensors that allows you to set the reset time from 5 seconds to as long as you want.

So I finally managed to pickup 2 of these repeaters. Works okay, but like the plug it has a weak signal,low LQI via XBee scan on all my Tradfri devices, although they DO work and without the Tradfri plug above my Hampton bay zig controller, the fan drops off mesh
and for the curious....

5 Likes

Thanks. Just picked one up the other day, but have not had a chance to set it up yet. Appreciate the information.

I have 4 of these deployed in my house... Have never had any of my Xiaomi devices (15) drop off the network since installing them.

So they may be weaker than other repeater, but they are cheap and work great for me!

I have 2 more unused/in the box... Didn't bother deploying them since the 4 seem to do the trick for me.

2 Likes