IKEA Trådfri Outlet

I don’t think I’ve ever left that place without a plate of meatballs. :wink:

When I picked my switches up we were with the kids and missed the restaurant, which was my wife's intention. I had some choice words for her that I kept to myself. Miss those frozen meatballs. I did get lingonberry drank though.

Looks like the remote that comes with the outlet is a no-go. It pairs, but cannot get any response from it using any driver I've found. Battery voltage only. I think this was similar to what @mike.maxwell found with the IKEA remotes.

Can't use the trick that worked with the Trådfri bulbs. The outlet won't pair to multiple devices at once like the bulbs can. So my recommendation at this time is don't bother. Stick with the outlet only. Xiaomi buttons are about the same price and offer so much more. And the outlet can repeat them too! :smiley:

Maybe if someone writes a CoAP client for the Trådfri Gateway we could use them, but probably not worth the effort.

Since I need to move some of my Xiaomi devices back and forth between my SmartThings and Hubitat hubs to work on device handler / device driver code updates, I can confirm it's possible to manually rejoin Xiaomi Zigbee devices on both platforms without having to first remove them from the hub's device list (and thus keeping any automations, etc. using those devices completely intact).

I think the key thing for this to work is that that the hub needs to "know" the device's Zigbee ID. As long as that was established when the device was originally paired the first time, then a rejoin simply results in assigning a new DNI (device network ID).

The steps I take to accomplish this are:

1. (Optionally) Pull out the device's battery for 30 seconds, and then re-install it.
  2. Open up the hub's logging window (or preferably the Hubitat's Zigbee events log window) to watch for messages from the device
  3. Put the hub into discovery / add a device mode
  4. Follow the device's pairing process steps (long-press of reset button, watch for short flashes of LED, etc.)
  5. The device has rejoined when you see log messages for it. There will not be any indications at all in the hub's discovery / add a device window.

This has worked for me every single time on both hubs.

4 Likes

Hmm, good to know! Does it make a difference if you pair them "normally" (automatically discovered) with ST vs. using the "catchall" method? If so, I normally used the "catchall" method on ST (but automatic on Hubitat), so maybe that explains why I seem to remember a reset of Xiaomi devices creating a "new" on on ST. But it could also just be bad memory on my part. :slight_smile: It was rare that I had to do a full reset.

Thanks for the information!

Yes it does. On a SmartThings hub, using the catchall method results in an unknown Zigbee ID, so it would be blank when you look at the device list or device's details page. In general, without the Zigbee ID, the hub can't reassign a new DNI (device network ID), and that's why it would appear as a new and different device if a re-join is attempted.

Note that I say "in general" because despite the lack of a Zigbee ID when using the catchall method to pair a Xiaomi device, in my experience, I have seen a few instances my ST hub populate the Zigbee ID after pairing a device using the catchall method. Also, I have sometimes seen the Zigbee ID listed in ST's hub events page for devices that I've paired using the catchall method, and if I copied that string and then added it to my ST hub's information for the device, it made it possible to later re-join it to the already existing device in my hub's list.

I think the fact that catchall method makes it generally impossible to re-join Xiaomi devices is a major factor in a lot of SmartThings users' frustration with them. If a little extra patience is exercised so that they can get paired the "normal" way, it helps immensely.

2 Likes

Did anyone have trouble getting the outlet to connect? Finally got one to help w/ the Aqara sensors, but it's stuck initializing.

No, it's worked properly every time I paired it. Try a reset on the outlet. Hold a paper clip in the hole at the long end. I think the light flashes when it's reset. Then unplug it for 10 seconds and try again.

1 Like

hrm, it didn't like where it was. Worked fine as soon as I bought it closer to the Hubitat. Hadn't ever had a problem with other zigbee stuff only a floor up, doh. Works in place it seems so far.

1 Like

When I look at them in XCTU with my Xbee, their signal isn't very strong. $9, so you have to kind of expect that their not going to have the same capabilities as an outlet 3x the price or a $75 Xbee. But they do work. This is why I've been suggesting several of them. That way you get good coverage. One will connect to the other, I've seen this in my network map.

1 Like

Has anyone tried these with the little on/off button remote they are available with as a kit?. I currently don't use Zigbee at all but I wondered if it was possible to pair the outlet with both HE and the button remote at the same time? I'm thinking that, for example a bedside light application, using the remote to directly control the outlet would be snappier than sending commands from a remote to HE, then HE back to outlet. But you would still have control over the outlet for automations as well.

1 Like

Sorry, just read an earlier post by @SmartHomePrimer that covers this and says not possible. Shame.

1 Like

I ordered 3 of the Tradfri Outlets online as I couldn't find any stock in stores near me, and they arrived today. I have never used any Zigbee units before but for £9 each I thought it had to be worth a try. Following the instructions on here (reset with paperclip and wait 5 secs) they all paired perfectly coming up as Generic Zigbee Outlet and Ikea of Sweden as manufacturer.

I've put them in test positions to start with with nothing connected to them. One of the locations I chose is where I have always struggled to get a reliable Zwave signal. It's not that far from the hub, maybe 9 or 10 metres in a straight line, but there are quite a few walls in between so the free air route is a bit of a zig zag path. With Zwave I had to put in an additional unit mid way simply as a repeater, but with the Tradfri in the same place it paired quickly and is working perfectly so far. Considering that I thought Zwave range was meant to be better than Zigbee I was pleasantly surprised.

I'll see how reliable the connection is longer term, but first impressions are good, and for £9 a unit, what's not to like?!

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more!

Bought 2 of these, trying to decide if I take the system down to re-map the zigbee. Thoughts?

1 Like

Should be able to pair them, then remove the batteries from devices for about a minute? :thinking: maybe less. And remove power from AC devices for the same length. They should then start connecting through them.

Do you have an XBee to confirm the mapping?

I haven't taken the plunge on XBee yet...

I am doing a bit of research on some ZigBee devices, and discovered that the TRÅDFRI Outlet is is a ZigBee 3.0 certified device:

Also, the ZigBee Alliance site list two IKEA remote switches which are certified:

I don't know which one is included in IKEA's Outlet/Remote kit, but if it's the On/Off Switch, I find it interesting that @SmartHomePrimer wasn't able to get it to work with the Hubitat hub. Perhaps a different ZigBee cluster is used than the standard for buttons? I'd need to see debug log output to know.

2 Likes

Looks like Australia is missing out, AGAIN !!
All they're offering is LED dimming products :frowning:
https://www.ikea.com/au/en/search/?query=TRÅDFRI

1 Like

Give it time. There's a Xiaomi and IKEA partnership that has just been solidified, so there's more to come in the new year. Might be the reason their outlets work so nicely with Xiaomi devices. For all I know, their internals might be made by Xiaomi.