IKEA Trådfri Outlet

I know this reply is late, check out the new innovelli no-neutral switches(jun 28 release)
https://inovelli.com/shop/smart-light-switches/pre-order-z-wave-dimmer-switch-no-neutral-required-scenes-notifications/

Assuming they actually come out June 28, AND they have any stock you can actually buy....

While I like the styling of Inovelli devices they have a 100% shit delivery/stock/inventory track record.

My guess is that June 28 is actually for "limited initial quantities" and will be out of stock instantly, with general availability something like September (maybe). But who knows? Maybe after 3-4 tries they finally have their supply chain figured out (I'll believe it when I see it)?

2 Likes

What is the verdict on the remote that comes with the outlet? Anyway to use it?

There isn't a verdict, so no idea if it is usable or not.
So far on Ikea controllers success rate is Zero, the Hockey Puck can be joined, however I don't find much value to it, so it's not supported.
The steering wheel can't be used, so it's not supported..
Given that stunning success rate, the remainder of their controllers are at the absolute bottom of our of our todo list.
The bulbs have a very simplistic Zigbee cluster implementations, IE the bare minimum, so these have not been officially supported...
I have high hopes for the shades/blinds, but we'll see in that regard.

So in the end, Ikea's inexpensive offerings translate into nothing but elevated development costs.

1 Like

So about the only thing useful in the line-up is the outlet. thanks

On the Hubitat side, I'd say that's probably accurate. However, if you have Hue, the bulbs do pair to that network fine (again wouldn't use them directly on Hubitat due to Zigbee bulb routing issues that these may or may not suffer from, but the trend is not on their side). However, even there, I've noticed they're a bit slower to respond to commands than Hue bulbs, so I can't cycle through scenes too fast or they don't seem to catch up. Their color bulbs also report as being color only and not color temperature (shades of white) capable, despite the fact that I think they really are, so they can be a pain to use in "white" scenes (oh, and their actual color temperature bulb had three distinct temperatures, not continuous variation like the Hue Ambiance...I guess their white bulb is fine, but the Hue White isn't that expensive either).

So...yes, mixed bag all around, but not completely unusable. :slight_smile: And as I've said, if you do have a Hue network, the "steering wheel" can be joined to that via TouchLink and then paired with up to so many bulbs to be used for direct manipulation of them. Again not fantastic if the bulbs are also on Hubitat, but not too different from using a Hue Tap or Hue Dimmer on Hue.

2 Likes

I was going to buy the outlet + remote kit, strip out the insides of the outlet and use them inline, and user the remote independently. I guess I will just go with the outlet

Can the Outlet remote be connected to the Outlet and the Outlet connected to HE?

Yes, this being due to Ikeas "budget" cluster implementation, ie they didnt implement the color temperature attributes of the color cluster, the irony here is that the full color bulbs are hardly all of that, they cannot produce green, and therefore are only suitable as color temperature bulbs...

I couldn’t get that to work. The remote steals the pairing from the hub, and he hub from the remote.

Thanks. Do you know if it works like that with the IKEA hub?

Yes same.

I have five of these and two repeaters. Four are in the garage and one is in the shed. All have worked since I installed them. Can't beat the price. $10 vs $25 or more for some others.

They are bulky. Probably more so than necessary. I couldn't use one where I had originally intended because it wouldn't fit. I used a IRIS V2 plug instead.

1 Like

I managed to join the plug once, but had to delete and start over. It paired as a "Device" and had to change the type.
Now it get stuck at "Initializing" when joining again. (for about 10 minutes now)

I tried several different places, no help.
I'll try a reboot.

Any ideas?

Edit
Just rebooted, still stuck at Initializing when joining

I've had a couple that were stubborn when re-pairing. Holding the button until initialization was complete did the trick for me. It took about 20 seconds.

I finally managed, about 20cm from hub.
Now moving :wink:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Someone has posted on the SmartThings Community Forums with a full explanation on how to get the two-button remote (included with the TRÅDFRI Control Outlet Kit) paired to and working with the ST hub:

Unfortunately, I can't find the SmartThings device handler that's used anywhere in the SmartThings Public GitHub repository.

There may be something about the ST hub that allows this, but it doesn't work here as far as I know. I was able to use the steering remote to control a Trådfri bulb, but it doesn't work on HE.
This is local link to the bulb though. Still it was possible, but with HE, the remote is stolen for some reason.

It is really too bad that the button doesn't work. This simple button is small, has two distinct on and off switch positions and it doesn't look horrible. It does pair but registers no button presses.
@mike.maxwell has mentioned before that the switch doesn't follow normal Zigbee stuff so unless someone finds the ST DH we arent likely to have it included.

If it joins, there's a possibility it MAY work, If someone wants to send me one to take a shot at, I'm willing to look at it....