Ikea Tradfi Volume Control

So I am looking for a bit of guidance here.
Is there any way to use the ikea tradfi volume control to control sonos through hubitat somehow?
I can add the device, and hubitat has drivers for it.. just not sure how to use it to control sonos.
Would love to avoid buying the ikea hub :slight_smile:thanks team

Hi. There is currently no driver for that device so I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about. Here's a post from a few days ago from Hubitat resident device guy.

There are issues that can't be overcome because of the device firmware. Not sure if you found a community driver from somewhere but if you did, I would post on that thread so the developer can sort you out. Otherwise, that device can't be used with Hubitat at present.

1 Like

When you say, “to control Sonos”, do you mean controlling the Sonos Symfonisk speakers that IKEA sells ?
If so, the volume controls work great with them. I have 3 of them linked to my Symfonisk speakers. You need to have an IKEA Home Smart (Tradfri) gateway (hub) installed.

You do the linking through their system, not the Hubitat.

So I can add the Tradfi volume control to hubitat searching for it by zigbee, and it has it listed "Ikea Tradfi Volume control" or whatever its called...

I guess im not sure how I would tie that to sonos, in hubitat or not... It would be nice to be able to link it inside hubitat to not require an ikea hub... just so sick of hubs, I have like 5 now haha

Yes, it is a zigbee device, but Hubitat does not have the code or drivers for it. I too hate having so many hubs, but until drivers are written, we have to adapt to the surroundings.

As I posted earlier, a driver for this is going to be very difficult because the device sends two events every time a button is pressed. @mike.maxwell gave up on the thing and threw it back in it's box. so...you're welcome to give a try at writing your own driver for it if you want but I would have serious doubts over whether that would be worth the effort.

We won't ever release drivers for this controller, it fires two events for every action it peforms, they are too close together to capture and eliminate.

So you expect any normal button controller to issue one and only event for every action, this one will issue two, which will cause all sorts of mischief when used with automations.

Ikea has proven time and time again they are only interested in doing the bare minimum in their firmware and obviously have no interest or expierence with their devices being used with other zigbee hubs.

At this point in time the only other product I'll ever look at are their roller blinds, hopefully they can manage to implement switch and level correctly...

I laughed at first at how crazy it seemed for them to NOT be able to handle that correctly. But they couldn't handle buttons correctly so who knows. I guess you get what you pay for. I've classified Xiaomi the "Dollar General of Home Automation". Maybe we'll have to classify Ikea as the "5 Below of Home Automation". It's not quite total crap but crap with an ever so thin layer of "okay" on top. As soon as you look at it too hard.....oh crap. :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

I totally agree and understand. Hence the reason I use their hub/gateway. Sometimes it is not worth the time or effort. It’s not worth spending a dollar to save a dime.

1 Like

I did manage to get it touchlink paired to a hue bulb. Works alright as a poor man's dimmer for a desk lamp. :grin:

Actually more expensive than a pico. Just sayin....

Not in Aus it's not. Given they don't sell them here.

Well see, isn't your Avatar supposed to be upside down to denote that? :wink:

I posted a workaround HERE

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.