IKEA Sonos Symfonisk remote - no response

Since this device was now supported I picked up a couple to use for dimming. But I can't get them to report anything. Pairing looks OK, but then nothing. I'm quite new at this so it could something really basic. When pushing or turning the dial I get nothing to show up in the log.

Steps taken:
1 Factory reset of Symfonisk
2 Pair with HE
3 Change name on device page and save
4 Pushed, turned etc / check Events and Log, nothing..
5 Remove device
6 Start from 1

Did this three times with the two devices I have. No luck

All advice welcome.

I’ve got it working with this custom driver, but if you read further down in the thread too, you’ll see that I found it necessary to pair twice.

Don’t delete from HE after the first pairing, just pair again.

2 Likes

Dude! Sweet. Thanks.
Second time pairing the led on the device was on much longer. It now responds using both drivers.

I understand how to implement the community driver. Not sure about the official driver though - I did read the verbal jousting between mike.m and Ryan780... Way above my head.

Is the idea to use mirroring for setLevel and use a separate button device for on/off?

Again thanks!

1 Like

I’ve never tried the official driver, just the custom driver. That one works purely as a button device. So for example, turning the knob one way sends one button press, then stopping sends another, then turning the other way sends yet another different button press. I like this way, because if you use it with a light that is compatible with start rising/stop changing/start lowering, then you can get smooth dimming via HE. Similar to held and released of a Pico button.

Tried that, very smooth control. Thx.

1 Like

The build in driver also only works as a button controller. The switch and level capability in the built-in driver are only for reference and cannot be commanded to change. So, it will become unsynced if you control the real device from anywhere but the remote.

Here's an example: You sync the remote with a bulb using Mirror. You turn the bulb on with the remote, so both the remote and the bulb are on. But then you turn off the bulb via Hubitat. At this point, the bulb is off in Hubitat and the switch in the remote's driver is on. So, if you wanted to turn the bulb on again, you would have to first turn the remote off and then you would be able to turn the remote and the bulb on.

I have a similar driver developed based on the one linked above that allows for you to command the remote "on", "off" and "setLevel". This allows you to use Switch Bindings or Mirror and allows you to modify the virtual attributes of the remote from within Hubitat.

As a side note, the behavior of the Symfonisk native driver is the same as the native driver for the RGB Genie panel/color remotes. Both will become unsynced from the devices they control frequently causing you to have to issue commands from the device multiple times.

Implementing these extra commands would allow you to use the remote with a device that doesn't have the "startLevelChange" command implemented.