If you're looking for motion sensors

Damn plants...they always get what they want. :wink:

Thanks for the info. I just replaced three switches, two of which would have been perfect applications of these. Really wish I had been paying attention in class, must have slept through the lecture on these.

They are handy devices. I flip the bedroom ones to "manual" mode at night so the lights don't turn on when I roll over. :wink:

The rest of the time i leave them in occupancy mode so I get super fast motion lighting (with no hub needed for those that can run in occupancy mode).

1 Like

OK, now you're just showing off...

1 Like

Is the operation of the motion sensor separable from operation of the switch? I.e., can you use the motion sensor in a simple motion rule apart from it affecting the switch? Unclear from the manual and spec sheet whether the only way to operate the motion sensor are the occupancy/vacancy modes.

Yes. When the device is in manual mode, you have a motion sensor and a separate dimmer. They are decoupled, but both usable by the hub.

When in occupancy or vacancy mode, the motion will directly control the dimmer. They both still report as separate values on the device though (you will still see motion go active inactive, the switch that is go on off, and the dimmer level percent change in the hub).

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation, but as yourself and others have stated, they're pricey.

Honestly, I enjoy using the WyzeSense motion sensor and [RELEASE] Alpha WyzeSense Integration. It works perfectly for the motion and contact sensors (and the Wyze stuff is cheap as heck)

1 Like

I have never seen a $5.99 (regular price) motion sensor. That is a pretty amazing price point.

And 4 contact sensors for $20. I love it

I just ordered a hub, and my first project is going to be is turn on lights in the kitchen, both overhead and countertop led strips. I want full brightness/white for day time, then after 9pm (or whenever) I want the hub to switch the motion light switch to manual mode - that way I can have the hub get a motion signal if someone walks in and only turn on the under-cabinet led strip in a dim, warm color. I could also have the hub listen to the switch, so if someone hits it I can turn everything to full brightness/white.

@JasonJoel, is this a good first HA project? Do you recommend a certain motion sensing switch?

I pretty much exclusively use the jasco/GE in-wall motion dimmers, or motion switches. ( GE Z-Wave Plus In-Wall Smart Motion Dimmer, White ).

I do one of two things depending on the area:

1. flip them into "manual" mode at night if I don't want the main light to turn on / don't want lights to turn on in that area at all (bedrooms). Motion sensor reading can still be used for other purposes when in manual, such as turning on an accent light for example.
  2. set the default dimmer level to a very low level at night so that it comes on at a more pleasing brightness level

In terms of general purpose/standalone motion sensors, I only have a few - NYCE Ceiling Motion (in bathrooms for shower presence sensing) and 1 smartthings motion sensor.

1 Like

Meant to ask, is this done via Rule or Simple Automation, or do you mean manually changing their mode? Thanks!

Node-RED. But anything that can use a custom command in an automation can do it - I know RM can. as that is what I used prior to Node-RED.

Don't think simple automation rules can, though.

1 Like

Hi. I'm new to Hubitat, just switched my devices from Smartthings. One of the reasons was to gain flexibility and configuration options, which are plenty in Hubitat. I have a few GE Z-Wave Motion Sensor Light Switches (26931), and would like to put them in Occupancy mode after 7:00AM, and in Vacancy mode after 8:00PM. I would like to accomplish this with RM first before diving into Node-RED, but am not sure how to set the right parameter. I have tried sending a custom configure() command but am not sure what the right parameter is, or whether I'm on the right track.

I looked up various options here ... GE Z-Wave Motion Sensor Dimmer Switch - Things That Are Smart Wiki

dev:352020-09-13 10:25:28.276 am errorgroovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: JascoZWaveMotionSwitch.configure() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String) values: [manual]
Possible solutions: configure() (configure)
dev:172020-09-13 10:25:28.218 am errorgroovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: JascoZWaveMotionSwitch.configure() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String) values: [manual]
dev:162020-09-13 10:25:28.159 am errorgroovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: JascoZWaveMotionSwitch.configure() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String) values: [manual]
app:312020-09-13 10:25:28.097 am infoAction: configure(manual) on Hallway Front, Hallway Middle, Hallway Back

Setting the Z-Wave parameter of devices needs to have support in the driver. I have one GE Motion switches installed and used this driver:

Jasco Z-Wave Motion Switch

This issue is that the parameter is not exposed outside of the settings page and I know that some switch manufactures like Inovelli have provided "child" devices that allow select parameters to be set in their devices.

You may be able to emulate this functionality in Motion Lighting app.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am using that same driver, and see the "Operation Mode" when looking at the device. I can change it there manually.

The link I had in my previous post is to a driver written for Smartthings, and I was not sure if that is the same one for Hubitat, and if it supports changing the Operation Mode with a custom command. That driver seems to have a bunch of commands that can be sent to it that deal with this parameter.

I am not seeing how the Motion Lighting app can do what I would like it to... there are lots of options to affect other devices and do various things upon motion detection, but none seem to allow me to set the Operation Mode of these motion switches.

There are multiple different user drivers for that device that support setting the mode via commands. The inbox driver does not support that.

So just switch to one of the user drivers that does support it and you should be in good shape.

Example:

1 Like

Awesome, thanks Jason! Works well. Thanks for contributing.

I already got my hub, and I have one of these switches on order. I really appreciate the help, and so far (even though I only currently have one switch) I LOVE the hub.

This could be your best home automation moment...enjoy the purity and simplicity of a single switch and a hub. You're like a cowboy w/his horse out on the range watching a sunset. :wink:

1 Like

Does anyone know how often the Nyce NCZ-3043-HA ZigBee Ceiling Mount sensors report humidity? I ask because, from what I read, some sensors would be useless for turning on bathroom fans due to the infrequent reporting (e.g., the Aeotec Multisensor 6 apparently only reports every half hour by default, though I am aware there are some drivers that allow changing this to as frequently as 5 minutes). The Aqara Temperature and Humidity Sensor seems to have the best reviews regarding reporting, as it supposedly will report based on changes and not just time, but I understand that it is not officially supported, and at least one review said it required resetting every three days or so to stay connected to Hubitat. If anyone is using the Nyce to control bathroom fans, or have had luck with other sensors, please let me know your experience.