Idea - Automating Locking Cars

Good point. That's most likely due to the switch plate construction to prevent accidental presses in the pocket. As you've already taken apart the fob, it should be possible to just press the actual micro switch directly?

What is this all about?
From day N1 when I started to drive I developed a very strong habit
to always lock my car even if I am away for few seconds.
This is very simple and very reliable car locking automation.

5 Likes

What about when you push the button? I'd expect no continuity unless you push the button.

3 Likes

I hate switchbot with a passion.

Thanks got reminding me of this, I've wanted to do this for quite some time, for the same reasons.

1 Like

That is not a cheap experiment. last time I looked, the "key" for my truck (2019 Ram , tradesman= base model) was over $500, and my wife's 2013 Compass was around $300..

Itā€™s good that this works for you.

Some of us occasionally forget to do certain tasks, even important ones.

Thatā€™s generally why the idea of automation (by a computer) is appealing.

3 Likes

Agree but noticed during a recent trip to Samā€™s club that they are now selling key fobs too. YMMV by location but wanted to throw this out there.

I have mostly owned GM cars the past decade but wanted to point out that some vehicles have settings buried in the vehicle settings to auto lock the doors after a short period of time. There is a setting to blink the lights or horn to confirm they locked. I have had mine set that way on a 2012, 2018, and 2021 models. Buddy has a BMW and that had the option too. I have gotten so used to not having to lock the doors I never remember to on rental vehicles.

@markbellkosel84 automated the start of his vehicle using a spare remote:

2 Likes

We keep our keys on the counter near the coffee pot. When I put the dogs out for the last time and make coffee for the morning, I just hit the locks on the cars from inside the house. It's just part of the routine. My fobs can both reach the car between 200' and 700' .

The other part f this is don't keep stuff in your car you wouldn't want stolen. Neighborhood I used to live in this one lady was freaking out because her husband gun was stolen out of his unlocked truck.. double whammy. Don't leave your gun in the truck in the first place.

back to the original topic though, isn't using the fobs in some way that is aggressive (involves soldering) kind of an expensive proposition? Last time I checked those weren't exactly on the cheap side. its one thing if you are tinkering with a $25 dollar sensor or switch. It's something else when you are tinkering with a $300- $500 part. Can someone enlighten me? have these things come down and I just haven't noticed? Even at half the price, that still an expensive proposition for an experiment.

Sorry @aaiyar should have been more clear, correct, no continuity when the button is pushed.

1 Like

The fob for my 2010 Nissan can be bought online for $54 CAD which is about the same amount i oay in Canada for a motion sensor, light switch etc so its really no different.

I don't leave anything valubale in the vehicle but there are everyday items left in there like sunglasses, digital tire pressure sensor, emergency tools and supplies that are a real inconvenience when taken and have to be replaced.

Unfortunately my fob doesn't reach from inside the house, I have to be leaning out the front door for it to work.

As you can see, all reasons why I'm working on this automation.

2 Likes

Also a good point! Let me try that, that could be my plan B if soldering doesnt pan out as i would prefer the reliability and soldering to a relay and one less battery to replace in the house (on a switchbot).

Thanks for poonting out @markbellkosel84 's post, this is exactly what im trying to do so I'll see if I can pick his brain!

I wish my vehicle had an autolock feature like you described, that would save me all this work! Alrhough would be less fun and satisfying in the end :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Oh yeah, that's definitely much more reasonable than what I was thinking. if its in the same ball park as a sensor to me that's a bit more reasonable. Strat going north of $100 that's a bit of a different story.

I used to volunteer with the police department Citizens patrol, that side of me still comes out. I didn't mean to be rude, please accept my apologies if i was. People would complain about stuff being stolen out of their cars, but leave it in the cars with the doors unlocked, then wonder why? It would be nice to be able to leave your car in the drive way and not have to worry about it, but that doesn't really seem to be an option anymore.

I would now 100% do this with a SwitchBot Bot and this fully local integration. I've programmed two D1 Mini ESP32 boards now for full local control/input from SwitchBot devices. Once you get drivers etc needed for the first Arduino sketch, additional ESP32 boards are just plug-in and flash in about 5 min. Boards are cheap. $15 CAD from Amazon for me, but I know you can get them for less.

Rock solid performance, but you do need to be running HA and an MQTT broker. But y'all know my opinions on this. If you're not running HA and these two integrations (HA -> HE & HE-> HA) to tie it to your HE hub, you're missing out on a heck of a lot more than just fully local SwitchBot devices.

For us, this is no longer a want or need. Our new car is electric and fully connected. I can start the heating or cooling before I get into the car if I want, with or without the fob. Just need the vehicle to arrive. It's probably somewhere on the Pacific ocean right now.

2 Likes

Nice - Congrats! Which one are you getting? I have been enjoying my Nissan Leaf for 1 year now. I donā€™t plan to ever buy an Internal Combustion Engin (ICE) vehicle again unless I donā€™t have any other choiceā€¦

1 Like

Yeah we're in a good place for this with BC being 93% hydro-electric. I will give the oil companies as little money as possible going forward. We've ordered a Hyundai Ioniq 5 Long Range. Left the factory on July 7, so delivery is imminent.

Which home charge port are you using?

2 Likes

Nice! Iā€™m sure you just canā€™t wait for it to arrive. I use to really hate driving. Since I got the Leaf, I love drivingā€¦ I also really like paying 1/8th of the price for ā€œfuelā€ when charging from home!!! Itā€™s a bit more when travelling, but not as much as gas!

I installed a the ChargePoint in my garage. The price was right on Amazon.ca, shipping was quick and installation was pretty seamless.

1 Like

what does the back of the board look like.. there should be traces there. wher the pins come through

LOL. Just 2 hours after my post, the dealer sends me an email. Our car is here. Need to step up that charge point installation.

3 Likes