iCloud Calendar Support?

But then I get this. No "other" in application type.

Thanks for walking me through this by the way.

I think since the guide on github was created there is no "Other" type any longer. Just try "Web application" or potentially "Desktop app". I haven't had to do this without "Other" available. If it ends up not functioning in HE you can create another OAuth token with a different application type.

Some progress, I think. Web App option works.

So I got credentials. I enter those into the app in Hubitat in the Authenticate boxes.

I click done.

I go back into the app, and there are no credentials saved, and I get this:

I tried reinstalling the app, and tried "restart authentication" options.

Does Oauth need to be enabled in the app code?

Nope, that didn't work.

OAuth does not need to be enabled in the HE app. Nothing will be calling into the GCal Search app. It will be calling out exclusively. OAuth for the HE app would only need to be enabled if something needed to call into it.

If the OAuth token works all you do is create a new user app and provide the client id and the secret and click done. Then you re-enter and there should be a code there. At that point you click "Authenticate GCal Search". So, it looks like your token didn't work. Do you know for sure that you got the client id and the secret correctly pasted? Don't paste them here.

I did copy paste right from Google. I even went back into Google, and they have a square copy box that was identical to the first code I got.

The ID is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.apps.googleusercontent.com

And the the secret is probably about a 16 digit random string.

So I think I have the codes I need?

That screen capture above is what I get when I go back into the app after pasting and pressing done.

This whole thing just doesn't want to work for me for some reason!

:exploding_head: :rofl:

Web application doesn't work. It needs to be "Desktop app" type OAuth token. I just tried it again.

Woo Hoo! Desktop App worked!

I think it is all working fine. I need some time to digest how to use the HE Gcal app, but at least it seems to allow me to search and so on.

Thanks again for your time. I owe you at least :arrow_down:

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Thanks again, hope this also helps someone else. Maybe when I have a few I will try to write up a set of instructions.

@codahq sorry about that I am not in GitHub often and I was never notified about the PR that I remember. I just merged it now.

@neonturbo I am happy to work with you on this as @codahq had suggested creating a new "release" topic for my code to help others. To be honest I setup the Google Calendar stuff years ago so seeing your items above helped refresh my memory but I would love to partner with you on steps so we can help others. Please feel free to PM me to discuss and I can get a new topic posted.

So just as a follow up, and kinda answering my own question. First, it works.I didn't have anything on the calendar to trigger on until this weekend.

I wasn't sure what to expect, or quite how to use it, so I used Memorial Day as the search. It didn't initially find anything after I added a search a week or so ago. But it did indeed toggle a switch called Memorial Day.

So this only triggers the day of an event? Or maybe more specifically it triggers on the time the event was scheduled to start?

So is there a way to predict/search for a future date, and turn on a reminder light (using existing switches) or speak a reminder (Echo Speaks?)?

As long as you have a calendar invite that matches the search term and you are syncing frequently enough it will pick it up I think.

It is setup to search calendar daily for events that day looking for a match. I have mine set to query during 12AM hour to toggle switches for that day.

Querying for future events is possible since the API allows you to set begin and end dates for the query. But app isn’t currently setup for that.

1 Like