I want Hubitat company to grow and prosper

It seems to be an issue of poor management to me. Wink doesn’t strike me as a company with a clear vision.

And I agree that a single product is a difficult proposition. All these companies started with a single product. Will HE evolve? I hope so.

The blender market is saturated too. The biggest issue here isn’t saturation but adoption. The easier they can make it to adopt HE the better they will do. The short game is a stable product offering. The long game is diversification.

1 Like

Yes it was a cloud issue but I still detested the UI. :wink:

1 Like

Personally I'd like to see hubitat partner up to sell more products alongside the hub, even if it isn't branded devices. Think of a starter kit with HE + Lutron or HE + Inovelli.

They could partner with Centralite to have some branded zigbee sensors, plus maybe a home alarm kit with a custom alarm panel.

They could also just generally sell extra devices, with a small margin.

Not a fan of cloud subscriptions, but they could have a premium licence to unlock extra pro features. Not that I want them to pay wall what we already have, but I think most of us would have been happy to pay for an upgraded licence for access to the prosumer/power user features.

G.

1 Like

warning: french mother-tongue. Kind of broken english below

I'm enthusiastic about technology. I'm enthusiastic about HE. But I doubt, now, that Hubitat will take a larger slice of that pie. I think we "all" like to dig into the dirt, aka programming. It's a niche market like Radio-shack 40 years ago. We "assume" that everybody's ready to add some code to obtain more of HE. A lot of people are not skilled at all. They are plain stupid for stupid tasks like resetting a router. People are lazy, they don't want to read the doc (you know all RTFM, right ?) even most of the solutions are there, written.

We like add code, apps, sensors and triggers. Mr Lambda is probably not willing to install a wireless magnet to receive a warning when the mail is there. For sure, we like this.
Changing a light switch ? Officially in Canada, we need to call an electrician for that...

Young people then ? Except programmers, who want to write a rule ? And I don't speak about adding a custom app. I'm maybe an old tart but I doubt that people is ready to do that.
Even in regular conversation, most people can't stand basic logic... And you talk about writing a rule with If / Then / Else ?

I have kids (from 25-35), friends with kids, customer's kids and when I speak about home automation and the pleasure of it, I see no real interest (like doing home-automation). Ok, install a smart app on their phone, play with it a [add right time here] and install another.

To play with HE, you need enthusiasm and consistency. I don't count my hours reading forums, asking questions, reading pdf's and searching for tools. And when I see people around me, we are not common people.
I can be wrong, I would expect to be wrong but HE seems to me a niche market. I like it. Because it's my style and my whole house is a gigantic laboratory. Most of my friends have a house, but surely not like me. Sometimes a house with Alexa or Google in it. Most of them with a smart TV. Sometimes a Roomba. I think about this: how many people can really program their (super basic) thermostat ?

Just ask your neighbors about Zigbee... If they know how their router works (the buttons, not the architecture), you're lucky.
I'm not sarcastic, nor pessimistic. I just watch people around me. And I worked more than 10 years in IT with young people/customers around me.

3 Likes

An ecosystem built with (certified) products that offers a safe and pleasant experience, without cloud and no power problems. Not a Ferrari full of special features but a Volkswagen that last a long time with no surprises. With a custom market available for power users (like tuning-kits for cars).

We could at least have the BMW/Audi upgrade option!! :grin:

I, for the most part, agree with what you are saying. Without changing anything on the hub they could offer additional products (either their own or through a partner). This could help increase the revenue stream.

More to your point they could simplify the experience. This would make it easier to bring in a larger audience. From other posts I have read it sounds like they have some plans in this regard.

There are a number of ways the could build a bigger take of the HA dollars out there. There are some things they could do in the short term and some that would be long term goals. If they are laser focused on what they are doing today then they will likely fail as so many others have. If they have plans in the works to expand on what they offer then there is hope for a thriving company. Random remarks on the forums leads me to believe that they are thinking beyond today's projects. This gives me hope that they will build something lasting.

1 Like