I think my post is not being published

They’re not that hard to install, but it requires taking the cover off your electric service panel box and installing the clamps directly onto the live wires, which if I’m not mistaken, remain energized even if you switch your main breaker off, see the diagram below. That gives you a total measure of your electricity use.

If there’s a chance you might screw up somehow during that kind of installation process, then an electrician should do it for you. That’s who installed mine, although he was already upgrading the entire panel so the time spent installing the HEM clamps added essentially nothing to what I was paying him anyway. But I don’t think I would have attempted it on my own regardless.

The clamps can also be installed on a single circuit to measure only that circuit’s energy usage. It’s somewhat harder to kill yourself that way, since if you switch off the main breaker, the wires you’re applying the clamps to are no longer live.

Devices like iotawatt are generally installed with multiple similar clamps to measure multiple circuits.

2 Likes

Actually, I would rather monitor each device so that I can see which conveniences are costing me the most.
Since the Shelly dimmer 2's already have energy monitoring I wouldn't have to bring in another standalone EM Device.
I've been looking through the community drivers some but have not seen what I was looking for. I did see a bit of drama in some of the threads - people... Can't live with them, can't live without them. :man_shrugging: :smile:

HEM for the house/standby, and mostly Kasa plugs for the Rooms. But I get it that you want to use what you already have. In case you decide to get another stand alone device, Kasa are inexpensive. They can go as low as $3 occasionally.