I’m having a great time with HE

I'm drinking Victory Hopdevil at the moment because I don't program in cobol anymore... So there's that....I'll get a bit more tipsy and try to write rules.

3 Likes

Very helpful. Thanks so much for the information. I’m looking into it today.

I strongly recommend looking into Innr Zigbee bulbs. They have been flawless, very reliable, and dim all the way down to 1%. I use them with the Advanced Zigbee bulb driver.
I started with the Cree, then went Sylvania/Osram, then Sengled. Skip the Sylvania and Sengled, just go with Innr. You will be very happy. As an added bonus, they are compatible with hue if that's a consideration for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SmartThings-Required-Dimmable-Equivalent/dp/B07SC4CJ7H/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1M31H7OHBA186&keywords=Innr&qid=1640723590&sprefix=innr%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-9

3 Likes

The reply wasn't " find it your self that's the fun in it" you left out important context. He asked you what you were trying to do, to which you never actually gave an answer (I have seen you do this in other threads recently as well). It reads to me like he figured you either lost interest or figured it out on your own.
Had you continued to constructively engage, there is no doubt in my mind that he would have helped you achieve what you are trying to do.

6 Likes

@dalecway I'm sorry if my last reply took this off course again. I just reread what was said earlier and felt it necessary to set the record straight. @bptworld has been great helping myself and others, as have most of the other devs and more advanced users in the community. It is important to make sure others see that and understand most do this for fun as a hobby. I would hate if someone came along and ruined my hobby over a misconception or miscommunication.

3 Likes

Maybe it was this thread?

Oh wait, multiple people tried to help by posting links. Because this community is generally extremely helpful (and patient).

Me too.

It’s very difficult to help when someone is unable or unwilling to answer specific questions.

But the OP’s experience is far more typical, and I’m happy to hear he’s having a good time :slight_smile:.

10 Likes

I want to add my 5 cents. I am a very new user and enjoying learning and doing. I have not done any coding since Fortran and don't want to. So, a lot of this is beyond my understanding and I am having to ask questions when I run into a wall. But people have been very helpful, tolerant and I have been moving away from Abode to Hubitat...little by little. It is complicated and I have much more to learn, much more to do.

2 Likes

Instead of using Rule Machine right off, use things like Simple motion and simple automation and basic rules. These will do 98% of what you want.

3 Likes

Read, ask questions, try small things first, and then branch out as the interface becomes more familiar. This forum is a great resource, and everyone (well most everyone :sunglasses:) is willing to give helpful advice and insight.

5 Likes

Don't forget bribery..maybe a little extortion... I mean hey, it can't hurt....

5 Likes

Yeah, as I said in a different thread, I would gladly pay for a Zigbee Glass Break Sensor driver!
Larry

If you send one to mike maxwell, and ask nice, he could probably write a native driver for it.

2 Likes

OK, I'll have one next week and I will contact him then. Thanks

HE has won me over from a ISY-994ZW Pro. I'm hoping the Dashboards will improve in appearance over time, but I have zero regrets. It's a lot of fun!

2 Likes

It is fun, but sometimes I wonder about the definition of fun. I am now in the process of converting my Hue bulbs from Abode as my hub to HE, It seems that sometimes Hue makes it painless and other times...not so much.

1 Like

At various times, staff have commented that they have long-term plans to improve the UI/UX. In the meantime, there are several third-party solutions to creating Dashboards.

4 Likes

Just make sure you don't have other zigbee devices on the same mesh as the hue bulbs if you're attaching the hue bulbs directly to HE

2 Likes

I read a bunch of posts about that, but I could not see the failure point if my mesh was well established with lines repeaters. I have good repeaters in every room at this point and just 5 hue bulbs. Seems to be working fine right now, including an Aurora controller for 3 of the bulbs.

So hue bulbs and their ilk (cree etc) are ZLL. Everything else is going to be ZHA. ZLL make bad repeaters and messengers. You've read about that. That said, just because you have a repeater in a room, does not mean that your ZHA based zigbee device is going to route through that instead of routing through the currently on ZLL based bulb. Now when this bulb turns off (or rather to low power mode) it will stop routing. Your ZHA zigbee device isn't going to be graceful enough to just start going through the repeater. Or it may take a long time for it to do so. This makes for an unstable mesh. Even the developers of HE recommend that ZLL based bulbs be on their own mesh. Either using another HE or a hue bridge. We've seen people be perfectly fine for lets say a year, then wonder why all of a sudden that things are dropping off their mesh when they haven't changed anything. They eliminate the bulbs and whoosh! Everything stabilizes. It's a story as old as time (or at least this forum lol)

1 Like

Thanks, a Hue bridge may be in my future. But not today as the agony of resetting and pairing Hue bulbs and the Aurora controller will stick with me for a while. The E26 bulbs were easy, as was another Hue motion detector. The E12 bulbs were a completely different story, but I have them set up on an Aurora controller also because my wife refuses to talk to Alexa.

1 Like