I just put my order in for 2 new hubs

I just put my order in for two new hubs. I am now at 6 hubs (4 installed) and 2 yet to install. I am still on the edge on whether this is my new hub for my professional installations.

I find that if I avoid Z-wave my reliability goes up. It is easy to buy Zigbee and/or Lutron.

Does anyone else use these hubs for commercial/professional installations?

I use them along with Iris V1 smart plugs and contact sensors, contact sensors are used for temp monitoring, to remotely monitor and control heaters and fans used in the pest control industry.

I will run the ones I have for a few months and see how reliable they are. I am mostly Lutron and Zigbee so I think they will be reliable.

Not sure about commercial properties, but @erktrek does residential installations that include Hubitat.

2 Likes

As, I think, does @jtmpush18.

2 Likes

Thanks for the shout out! Yep - mostly residential for HE, though my background is in the corporate world.

I have done commercial installations but not with Hubitat yet - there is definitely more planning/consulting involved - especially in reviewing local laws with respect to emergency stuff, lighting etc. The issue is the existing security system can likely handle a lot of what needs to be done anyway - like locks and motion detection etc. Interfacing with those systems can be problematic. I might start looking at some basic augmented smart lighting on top of existing, maybe internal locks to secure closets, leak detection, energy management & reporting etc. All depends on what the needs are.. I could definitely see smaller businesses benefiting from this kind of setup though as they could save a ton of $$$ if handled correctly.

2 Likes

I'm trying now to do some work for people who own multi-unit buildings.
That's one of the reasons why I'm very interested in Zwave LR.
Imagine a multi-unit rental complex with everyone having a Zwave LR door lock, connecting to one (1) hub. That would be a huge market advantage.
We shall see if that will be a reality.

2 Likes

II do have some setups with Envisalink/DSC and Elk M1. I find the Envisalink setup is solid but the Elk M1 setup a little bit finicky. I mostly do high end homes which are quite different. For the commercial operations I stick to Zigbee exclusively; it tends to be reliable. I usually do not rely on the hub for the actual security as they are full security systems on their own.

1 Like

I have had nothing but bad luck with Z-wave. Consider a Zigbee setup.

1 Like

Yes I agree - in my experience Zigbee is more reliable / less of a headache especially for locks. I have not had many issues with Z-Wave switches though and they are very inexpensive - 500 series. Jury is still out on the 700 stuff.