I got real lucky. (Lightning Strike)

Last night about 9:30 PM we had lightning strike real close. I don't know where it hit but the thunder was instantaneous. Immediately my tv and camera monitor lost wifi connectivity. I'm thinking "Oh hell did I just get hit". What had happened is, that my Family Room WAP was marked as unreachable in the UI which caused the tv and monitor to lose the wifi connection. I don't know if it lost power or what, but it came back on a couple minutes later while I was trying to figure out what kind of damage had been done. Also my Family room Switch lost connection and then reconnected. The WAP is plugged into my 16 port POE switch which supplies power to the WAP and the Family room switch. Nothing else was affected.
As of now everything works as expected. Apparently I received no damage. I was just trying to figure out why the power cycled on these 2 units but nothing else? I have 9 POE devices on the switch. Please speculate. Thanks

1 Like

check that all your in wall switches still work.

1 Like

I had a lightning strike earlier this year. This resulted in only two issues:

1. A computer in the house shut-down and on reboot gave me a warning of a power surge. But the computer rebooted fine and has worked fine ever since.
  2. The modem/router (Hitron) supplied by my ISP immediately started to act very odd. DHCP reservations were not being honored and it just continued to give me problem after problem. All my reserved local internet addresses were still being assigned, but I never knew which device would get which address and be labelled with which name. (I needed to quickly learn the MAC addresses of all my devices, LOL). Finally decided just to put the modem in bridge mode and go with a bunch of Tp-link omada gear. Very happy with the new set-up. All is well that ends well.

I live in a thunderstorm alley. HE helped me work out some network protection in this thread. So far, so good.

1 Like

Sorry I'm a bad person (glad you're stiff is ok)

Cardi B Dancing GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

I wasn't so lucky. Lightning struck my weather station out in the yard and it literally blew the plastic cover off the AC adapter with much smoke and left a burn streak on the dry wall. It then must have traveled along my ethernet cables because I lost my router, my switch, and HDMI1 port on my TV. I have surge suppressors (the expensive Panamax kind) plugged into everything but not a one stopped this.

Sorry about your luck. What happened to you is my worst nightmare.

You're lucky that's all that happened. Sounds like it could have started a huge fire...

1 Like