I can never actually "find devices"... UI bug?

Hi there! I am having an issue finding devices and getting them initialized i suppose.

Basically: I have some new sonoff motion sensors (they are on the compatible devices list, " SNZB-03") that I have been trying to add to Hubitat (both using iris v1 and standard zigbee methods) and what ends up happening: it seems to find the devices, but for one reason or another cannot actually do anything with them?

I get the screenshot below anytime I try to add them. I have tried restarting the hub, updating the hub, shut down and power off the hub (and unplug) for a significant amount of time (5 min)and no matter what I do I cannot seem to get it to do anymore than rendering "Found Devices:" and then actually displaying nothing.

Let me know if anyone has any tips or suggestions for what to try. Or, if there is a way to access logs during that searching period please let me know.

I have also tried this on multiple web broswers.

Thank you!

In your screenshot, you haven't pushed the Start Zigbee Pairing button. When hub is in pairing mode, a 60 second countdown timer appears. If the hub had found any devices, it would be listed under Found Devices:

In addition to what @stephen_nutt said, make sure that the Sonoff device is in "pairing" mode. Typically, it's in pairing mode when you remove the strip covering the battery, but if it's been paired with something else before, you will need to reset it.

This was taken after the 60 second timer had run out, just to show that It did run.

I have also tried this method, both with completely removing the battery, and with using the reset switch.
I've also tried starting the pairing, then holding the reset switch to get it to pair, I have also tried hitting the reset for 3 seconds, then starting pairing. In both situations it has not helped. I have had this issue happen before, and normally it was resolved with a power off of the habitat or a reset on the device itself so that is why this one is particularly strange.

I always had to insert pin into reset hole until red light flashed to get sensor into pairing mode.

1 Like

Me too. About 5 seconds on the reset button until the red light flashes. I just installed 28 of them.

1 Like

I paired 52 zigbee devices this morning when I moved from a c4 hub to c7. It definitely CAN work.

What's your Zigbee channel? Try changing to 15 if it's not. Some of the inexpensive Zigbee devices seem to all be designed to operate on the lower channels. Channel 15 I see mentioned often.

Yeah and that is what is so frustrating for me. Is there any way to remove/fully "hard" reset the hub with the ability to restore everything and it actually working as if nothing happened? Or with Hubitat will there always been some element of "re-setup" if restoring from backup?

I've got the c5 Hub, it shouldn't be that right?

It's running at 20 now, I'll give changing it a try. How long will it take items to re-establish and find the new channel?

Yes there is. But that's not what you need to do here.

1 Like

Channel change is quick, but it will take devices time to figure out what the heck just happened. Or you can shut the hub down for 20 minutes. Or if you don't have that many devices joined in the first place, just change channels and then go around and reset all the devices (don't forget to do that with your repeaters too). You do have at least one repeater right?

Strange :thinking:

I'm assuming that you have paired other zigbee devices and that has worked? If you are unable to pair any zigbee devices, then you may want to take a look at the status of the zigbee radio (Settings -> Zigbee details) to make sure that it is "enabled". Also, I think you could try the zigbee logging button there while trying to pair the unit to see if you get anything in the logs.

As @stephen_nutt and @tmcdonald said, the reset/pair is a "pin" insert. Is that the same thing as the switch that you mentioned?

I've got the channel updated to 15, (it did re-establish really quickly)
I have some Cree bulbs that are always in and on, so I would assume those would act as repeaters, right?

Below I've attached my Zigbee Info page, as well as the screenshot of both the Zigbee log and pairing running concurrently. It is weird to me that when I started the pairing, nothing happened in the log?

All of my other systems are running perfectly.

@rakeshg Yup! That is exactly what they (and I) are talking about, and that's the exact process I've used. I even have 2 more of these sonoff sensors I'm trying to pair so I doubt it is on the sonoff side. I also always do the reset / pairing mode before I try and pair them.

Thank you all for the continued help!

I got rid of my Cree bulbs (well... they are still in a drawer in the garage), based on recommendations from people here. I went with all Sengled - apparently Cree create havoc with the Zigbee mesh and even HE does not recommend bulbs that act as repeaters. Not sure if that is your issue but thought I would let you know.

The link is https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Zigbee_Details_2

EDIT: One way to see what is acting as repeaters in your setting is http://YOUR_HUB_IP/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

2 Likes

Really, really bad ones. Removing them might help significantly.

I have an SNZB-03 and didn't really have a problem joining it to my main hub which is on channel 13. I gave one to my daughter and her hub is running on channel 15. We did have to try a few times, but it eventually worked. A few people have noted the issue with the battery contact being problem until they tweaked it for better contact. I didn't have that problem with either one.

However, are you trying to join it near the hub? I have a Xiaomi device network, so I'm very careful about what Zigbee devices I put on my network and I only use IKEA outlets, and one IKEA repeater on my main hub. My other hub that runs production is using an Xbee and one of @iharyadi great devices. All those are Xiaomi compatible, and that might help with the Sonoff Zigbee stuff too. Same setup for my daughter because she also has Xiaomi devices.

Zigbee bulbs are horrible repeaters, They will drop data packets. Cree bulbs especially bad. Fine for only using other bulbs, but not good for other Zigbee end devices.

IKEA outlets are inexpensive and decent repeaters. I've heard some say they like the IKEA repeaters better (opposite experience for me). Sonoff Zigbee outlets do not seem to be very good repeaters. An Xbee is a fantastic Zigbee repeater, but one of the more expensive options.

Also keep in mind that the range of those Sonoff motion sensors is pretty bad. So you really do need to have adequate repeaters (good ones, not bulbs) if you're trying to locate that far from the hub.

4 Likes

Same for me! :point_left: :point_left:t3: :point_left:t5:

All my motion sensors are Sonoff SNZB-03 (apart from 4 EufyCams that I "misuse" also as motion detectors).

They all work like a charm - thanx to 5 IKEA repeaters! Heck, even in our Garden shed (ca. 13m from the next repeater) there are no Zigbee problems.

But: Before using the IKEA repeaters I had much more problems with nearly all my Zigbee devices (BTW: most of them from Sonoff and Xiaomi/Aqara).

1 Like

So very, very strange but I figured the other night just before bed i would try again and what do you know... they all popped up perfectly fine. I changed nothing from my last post but they magically worked out. I just got some linkind outlets, is there anything bad about using those as repeaters?

Also: Is there any performance penalty for keeping my devices all on Zigbee channel 15 now?

Thank you to everyone for the help! I'm sure the combination of all the things eventually led to the resolution!

1 Like

If you just added the repeaters, that is likely what helped.

There is no performance difference on any channel, just that some devices stay joined more reliably on certain channels, or are specifically designed to work on specific channels.

4 Likes