I bit the bullet

Or another hub, the key thing is you don't want crappy devices causing problems for good stuff. A lot of old LL lamps fall into crappy territory. Since they have been on their own hub they work reliably as do the rest of my device on the other hub.

2 Likes

The z-wave ones are best if you go through their exclusion process while they are still connected to the ST hub. Zigbee ones are usually happy to connect to any hub once their usual one is no longer talking to them.

1 Like

Add to that Innr bulbs are cheaper than Hue, and compatible with the Hue hub, or can be paired directly to Hubitat. Both work equally well. Those Innr bulbs are zigbee 3.0, and are by far the best bulbs I've used.

3 Likes

The best path for you depends on your use cases, time availability, and tolerance for disruption.

When I went through this a few years ago, my approach was to first setting up rules/automations using virtual devices and then migrating to the actual devices once I was sure things would work the way I wanted. (This is also a good time to consider the routines you currently have and how you might redesign the system to work better for you.)

One thing to consider (similar to the comment from @rlithgow1 ): Since most of your devices are zigbee and you only have a couple of repeaters, you may not have very good results (on either hub) if you only move some of the devices (depending on your physical layout, of course). That is, if you move the repeaters first, your bulbs may lose connectivity; if you move the bulbs first, they may not have a strong enough signal to communicated without the repeaters.

1 Like

Lifx are so much better

2 Likes

I'm still considering them. After my failed shelly bulb experiment, I'm not sold on wifi bulbs.

1 Like

These are 100% local and have superior color and brightness. @bcopeland replaced every bulb in his house with them.

4 Likes

still waiting on my HE to arrive. thought they might ship a bit quicker but 4 days and just an order confirmation...oh well i'll live. here's my plan what's you alls comments.

delete harmony hub from ST
remove ST from alexa
turn ST off
reset all zigbee bulbs to factory( only 8)
install HE and register
pair 2 zigbee repeaters
start adding lites closest first
check
re pair zigbee door sensors 3 each
check
re pair motion sensor
check

check operation of all so far

add zwave bulbs (2)
check

add harmony hub
check

add alexa
check

2 Likes

Remember to look at my post above. How close to the hub will those z-wave bulbs be? You may want to throw a repeater in the mix (I recommend the Ring v2 Extender)

just measured and iits about 40 ft thru 2 wood stud - sheet rock walls. i do have an old zwave wall switch i can put in if i can find a switch with
a neutral. thats pretty much why i am all bulbs and not wall switches. house is about 30 yrs old.

You can always do dimmers instead as most don't require neutrals. Would be good with all the bulbs because you can use them as a button controller in smart bulb mode

let me know what type dimmers. do they not work as switches too?

my HE will be here monday

here is what i plan

delete harmony hub from ST
remove ST from alexa
turn ST off
reset all zigbee bulbs to factory
install HE and register
pair 2 zigbee repeaters
start adding lites closest first
check
re pair zigbee door sensors 3 each
check
re pair motion sensor
chevk

check operation of all so far

add zwave bulbs (2)
check

add harmony hub
check

add alexa
check

add ecobee

What bulbs are these? Brand, model?

Don't forget to exclude the z-wave bulbs from the st hub first, unless you have a way to factory reset them

Zooz or Inovelli have a smart bulb mode and don't require neutrals.

1 Like

tnx will order a couple. hub came today. got 5 zigbee bulbs paired and the 2 repeaters , the nutone zwave refuse to pair when in the same room as the hub so will.order some innr bulbs and go all zigbee. hopefully hout the hue. more to follow tomorrow maybe

For bulbs I prefer Lifx.... Superior quality, color, and brightness.

If you haven't read this please give it a look, especially when it comes to the zigbee bulbs and devices.

did that. this is costing a bit more than expected but livable. probably aroumd $250 with the hub, 4 repeayer plugs, 8 zigbee bulbs and a zigbee wall switch my mesh will definitely be much more resiliant. gonna put my singled bulbs back in emergency storage if needes since they do not repeat or maybe in he back rooms with nothimg to repeat for.

many tnx to all in the group that have helped

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.