Humidity sensor

Hi there, So I'm looking for a basic ole humidity sensor... preferably one that doesn't need it's own hub... one that doesn't cost a bunch... Just a sensor that will pair directly and let me pull humidity readings through the rule machine... which in my own simple opinion, is a perfectly fine tool that I find both attractively designed and easy to use. I'll be shocked if there isn't some simple sensor that is up to the task. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I have a bunch of these

and I love them. They are overkill if humidity is all you are interested in but who doesn't need another Zigbee repeater, right?

2 Likes

The Aqara Temperature and Humidity Sensor also does the job for not too many pennies. It needs a community driver on HE but pairs up easily enough.

2 Likes

There are a few multi-sensors out there that have humidity sensors.

I personally have the Zooz and the Inovelli 4-in-1 for this purpose and find that they work great.

1 Like

For the OP

1 Like

And also the SNZB-02, working good for me and very affordable. US$35ish for 5.
Hubitat built in drivers, but does also have temp.
2 weeks to Canada from this seller.

2 Likes

I've been using two of these for nearly a year. One is outside on my covered porch. It lives and works well and both hot** and cold (** this is New England hot not Arizona hot).

1 Like

This is an interesting device. Temp, humidity, pressure, light, and router. I like how it shows connections in the interface. But where to put it. It needs ac power and the light sensor should be out in the open. An enclosure for it would be nice… have to think about use case and housing for it but it really is brilliant.

You have the list, but one missing. Konke.

2 Likes

Aqara Temperature and Humidity Sensor
This seems a great option and the price is nice. I passed it by when I saw it before due to the need for a hub and I just don't want more hubs. It's good to know there are drivers available to bypass the hub and connect directly to the Hubitat. I will be using these for sure.

1 Like

I read your post last night and saw this Zooz sensor… It will be here today from Amazon for $42.75. That’s pretty cost effective when I replace a motion in that room with one of these. I get humidifier and dehumidifier control, motion, and maybe a lighting solution with the light sensor. But really… the name is what called to me… I could not pass up a Zooz. I just find it fun to say Zooz!

The Inovelli looks good too but they’re out of stock.

1 Like

I have 8 of the Konke sensors linked to by @SmartHomePrimer. They work great with Hubitat - I've had them now for about 16 months. The only caveat is that they only support zigbee channels 15, 20, and 25.

2 Likes

Never understood why they only work on those channels, when the Konke motion sensor doesn’t seem to care. Have used the motion sensor on channel 13 before and have it 17 right now. Works great. Weird.

1 Like

Installed 8 SNZB-02 unit in various places in my house.
Temperatures and humidity are within range and they were super easy to register with HE.
Worth the price.

1 Like

Hi there... are you by chance running the Zooz 4-in-1 ZSE40 sensor on a pre C-7 Hubitat? I'm asking because there is a "not compatible with model c-7" notation in the list of compatible devices. just thought I would ask before I open this box :slight_smile:

The Zooz 4-in-1 will only pair natively on the C-7 with S0 security which is not recommended as it causes a lot of unnecessary zwave traffic. It can be paired with a Secondary Controller and bypass the S0 Security. I would recommend swapping it for something else. The C-5 and lower hubs would allow pairing without security without a Secondary Controller.

3 Likes

Before going down this route I think it is important to note they are not on the supported device list. https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices

Please read as much as you can about them if you consider going this route. Here is some info:
Xiaomi & Aqara Devices - Pairing & Keeping them connected.

3 Likes

Truth. Can be stable, but it can take time and dedication.

And as with any zigbee device a bit of care in choosing the appropriate channel frequency to minimise wifi interference and checking repeater compatibility will go a long way towards maintaining stability.

It will "work" with a C-7, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a Secondary Controller that you can pair it to without the S0 security as @Brandon said. I had mine connected and working great with my SmartThings hub, at least when the SmartThings servers weren't acting up. When I brought it over to my Hubitat C-7, it would occasionally become unresponsive and the battery drained completely in less than 2 months.

I'm now considering getting the Nyce NCZ-3043-HA, as others have praised this one, but it is much more expensive compared to other options out there so I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.