Humidity Rule Keeps Triggering While Repeat Loop Running

I can't figure out what's wrong with this rule. When the humidity level reaches 53% I want to be notified to empty the dehumidifier every two hours until the humidity level drops below 53%. Why 53%? It lines up with 55% on the dehumidifier.

The rule will trigger and start the repeat loop. The problem is that instead of every two hours I am getting notifications 2-3 times in 15 minutes. I think it's because every time the sensor reports a humidity level it will trigger the rule and the notification will be sent from the repeat...until loop.

It didn't work any better for me when I put the repeat loop inside of the IF...THEN.

Create a rule that sets a global boolean variable to true or false depending on humidity level.
TRIGGER
Humidity changed
IF
Humidity > 53
THEN
Set variable humidabove53 true.
ELSE
Set variable humidabove53 false.

Now just use your variable state (true or false) in your rule.
Your Rule
TRIGGER
Variable changes.
ACTIONS
Use the variable (true/false) instead of humidity level.

EDIT: Also your END-REP needs to be after your notify statement and not where you have it at the moment.

I can't see a reason why your rule wouldn't work. It looks almost exactly like the second example in this example from staff on repeated notifications: How to get Repeated Notifications using Rule Machine. Were you modifying the rule while the repeat was in effect, by chance? I wouldn't be surprised if hitting "Done" or "Update Rule" erased something and got it "stuck." That being said, since you only care about a single condition, one of their simpler examples like the first one in that thread should also work if you wanted to try something different.

The above, of course, would work too, and sometimes it's simpler to split things out like that. But I still don't see the problem with this...

I think you've knocked the nail on the head here.
With a variable, you can keep 'setting' it as often as you like, your humidity rule will note keep triggering as it is now.

1 Like

This sounds like a plan. The humidity level trigger will only affect the variable. Good tip on the END-REP placement.

I did do some modifications while it was repeating. I let it run overnight when I couldn't monkey with it and it did the same thing.