Hue Motion Sensor Issue

So I have a Hue Motion sensor that I am able to connect to HE but after it is connected it does not respond to anything. Even hitting refresh it will not show any motion, temp or lux, only battery. I also tried resetting the device with no luck I noticed that the red light that usually lights up when motion is detected is also not lighting up.

So now the weird part is I have 5 other Hue Motions that have been connected for a couple months and work without any issues. So at this point I thought it was a bad sensor so I swapped it for a new one, but the new one also exhibited the same issue,

I also tried rebooting the Hub.

Similar issue was reported here by @arnoud. No post about the fix. Contact support@hubitat.com

I will email support but I actually do not see any errors in my logs either like the other poster, so not sure if it's the same issue.

18:32:32.832:debugRefreshing Values
 dev561)2018-09-08 18:32:32.826:debugConfuguring Reporting and Bindings.
[dev:561]ogs#dev561)2018-09-08 18:32:32.795:warnconfigure...
[dev561)2018-09-08 18:32:15.015:debugRefreshing Values

Not same, similar, in that it won't pair even after reset.

Check out this thread/post, I fixed my issue with the Hue Motion Sensor: Zigbee pairing issues

Thanks. So it is an issue with the stock driver. I was able to go back to the stock driver also after using the custom one. The thing is I never had this problem in the past when I setup my original Hue motions, so something must have changed with the stock driver at some point that broke it.

Well, that's just the thing, it hasn't changed.
However I can't argue with the observations to date, mine was cranky a few days ago and refused to play ball, I'll try again in the morning.

Yeah its odd because the ones I setup a couple months ago have been rock solid with the light turning on within 1 second or less and I had no issues with pairing. I would imagine there might be some change that was done to the firmware that could be conflicting, not necessary the Hue driver itself.

Well I'm imvolved in most of the platform updates as well, particularly those on the zigbee and zwave side., nothing comes to mind their either...

I recently added a Hue Motion sensor directly to Hubitat and ran into the issue described here, where it paired but then didn’t actually do anything after that. (No errors in the log.) The custom driver mentioned by @mtcoombes worked for me. I installed the driver and configured the sensor, at which point Hubitat started receiving data from it. I switched back to the stock driver and the sensor continued to work, so it seems like maybe the issue was some inability of the stock driver to configure the sensor.

Same here, but mine happened 3 weeks ago.

Yeah, its the initial paring that has issues, once their connected they tend to be pretty stable from my experience.

True, I have 4 hue motion sensors. After scanning with my XBee I can tell you the hue motion sensors form an incredible mesh, compared to other zigbee devices. The hue motion sensors connect to everyone of my 12 routers. Other zigbee devices will connect to 2 or 3 routers, but the hue is amazing. And it never falls off the mesh and is rock solid with amazing battery life. I'd say they are one of the best zigbee motion sensors.
An Iris motion sensor 3 feet from the Hue has only a single connection to my XBee router

Do any of you guys have issues with the sensor after a hub reboot?
I've noticed that after a hub reboot lux doesn't start reporting again.
If I wander in front of it and it detects motion, then it immediately reports the lux value and continues to do so.
Just wondering.

Super old topic, but it speaks exactly to the issue that I'm currently having. I have two Hue indoor motion sensors , but don't do anything after that. I've tried removing them several times, switching between the Hue driver and the generic one, and nothing has resolved the issue for me. Interestingly enough, I have four outdoor Hue motion sensors that work perfectly well. Additionally interesting, I have a SmartThings indoor motion sensor that is behaving the same as the indoor hue motion sensors. It connects, but doesn't pick up motion or communicate after that.

I'm pretty new to Hubitat, so perhaps it's a setting somewhere outside of the device settings that I'm looking at. For what it's worth, I have an older Ecolink motion sensor on the hub which is working exactly as expected, in addition to the outdoor Hue sensors.

By the way, I think some people expect the Hue Indoor Motion Sensor to flash red when it detects motion. This is NOT the case. A short red flash indicates it detects motion AND is unable to comment with the hub. A long red flash indicates the battery is almost empty.

From the Phillips Hue website:

What does the LED indicator on the Hue motion sensor mean?

The LED indicator is integrated into the housing of the Hue motion sensor, just below the dome. The LED will display different colors:

Orange blinking: Sensor is ready to connect to the Hue Bridge

Green blinking: Sensor has been found by the Hue app

Short orange flash when detecting motion*: Low battery

Short red flash when detecting motion *: Battery is almost empty

Long red flash when detecting motion : Sensor cannot communicate with Hue Bridge*

*Only shown at first detection of motion after at least 15 seconds with none.

I hope this info will help others with troubleshooting.

4 Likes

Editing mistake on my part.......The first part of that should read that the Hue indoor motion sensors connect the the HE hub, but don't do anything after that. They're connected, but don't provide updated statuses, don't detect/report motion, and don't refresh.

These Hue motion sensors can be a problem to properly initialize,at least in my experience. In a few cases I've had to pair these 3 or 4 times before they function properly. I'm not sure why, but what I think helped is removing both batteries for 30 seconds, place batteries back in and hold the setup button on the rear, for a full 10 seconds (not the advertised 1 second) and make sure the device is close to the HE hub while holding the reset button. Then immediately start ZigBee pairing on the HE hub, while keeping the sensor near the hub.

Do you have any ZigBee repeaters attached to the hub? Most mains powered ZigBee devices are repeaters.

And do you have any ZigBee bulbs,and if so what is their brand?

All 6 or 7 of my Hue motion sensors are using the default HE driver and they work excellent 99% of the time, rarely requiring a re-pair.