Hue motion sensor does not detect motion

Thanks. I'll pour a good scotch and skip the tears. What Zigbee channel are you on? My fear is it won't play nice on my channel 13, which I'm reluctant to change because everything has been working so well from the beginning on that channel.

I'm on channel 23. As for the scotch, it finally paired when I broke out the Lagavulin.

1 Like

I have Dalwhinnie. Going to need a healthy pour for this one. :wink:

1 Like

May the Schwartz be with you!

I did jump back and forth with the drivers a few times. If it is still giving you grief you can try the ported one.

2 Likes

I may need the whole bottle. It paired immediately, but wasn't reporting. Probably should have tried the ported driver first, but I didn't. Removed and cannot re-pair, no matter how many resets. Have paired with Hue Bridge two more time though, no problem. Might be the channel that is the issue.

Going to have to revisit this later. Might substitute a spare Xioami for it. I have far less trouble pairing them.

this is exactly the state of mine, it won't pair for nothing, in fact it's not even trying according to my sniffer...
To be honest, even at its best it was not the worlds best motion detector, seriously, you have a lux sensor on board, but will only report lux while motion is active?
That is a rather presumptious use case scenerio, straight out of the box...

1 Like

Yeah it's a bit odd. I suppose it was a battery saving choice, with no intention to ever have it do more.

They were when I initially wrote the driver, nothing should be different now, mine is dead so I can't verify any of this currently.

Yeah if I open iConnect Hue, it will show no lux reporting when there's no motion, and mine just did an update today, so nothing has changed.

Do you have a complete fingerprint? If I do get it to pair, I'm happy to provide whatever might help. Or it sounds like @Christopher is in a better position to help in that regard actually.

Yeah, we have a dedicated driver for it.

So I have a weird issue with a Hue motion. I have had Hue motion's for a while and they work well for the most part but I attempted to add a 6th and it refuses to pair properly. I thought it was just a bad device so I swap it for a new one and same issue. The other ones I paired did not have this issue with pairing.

Edit: It looks to pair partially only and is non responsive.

1 Like

I had the exact same issue. Was only able to get mine to partially pair, and when I tried the second, third, forth, etc., it just wouldn't pair at all. No amount of reset or battery removal tricks that work for other battery powered zigbee devices, would work for the Hue Motion Sensor. But I unpaired and paired with the Hue Bridge several times and it had no issue joining each time. There's got to be something non-standard in this sensor. Even the Xiaomi motion sensors, which are finicky to pair and also do not follow the Zigbee standard, are actually easier to pair than the Hue motion sensor. That is to say, I've had success every time with Xiaomi and no usable success with pairing the Hue motion sensor to Hubitat even once.

I only have one of them and it will remain that way. I agree with Mike, they're not that great to begin with. They were $40 CAD when I first bought mine, but then Philips raised their prices dramatically overnight and they became $50 CAD for the same sub-par sensor. They're slow to react, and as Mike pointed out, they don't detect lux when there's no motion, and they only seem to pair reliably with my Hue Bridge.

The whole reason I want to take mine off of the Hub Bridge and put it onto the Hubitat hub was so I could stop it from turning onto the programmed scene when my wife is relaxing in the tub with candle light. I solved this with a set of RM rules to keep forcing the lights off for an hour when a virtual switch is triggered, and then just assigned that virtual switch to an Alexa Routine so she can just activate it by voice. A second rule is used to make the first rule false after 1 hour.

Despite their quirks and special requirements, I really like the Xiaomi motion sensors, but for sure the best one I own is the Sylvania Smart+ motion sensor (Centallite), which is a variant of the same sensor Centrallite make for Iris.

The thing is I have 5 other Hue motions that are working fine and the lights turn on immediately. The original 5 I had I bought on sale for $20 each, that is why I bought so many. They also worked with Smartthings for almost a year before I switched to HE. I really like the magnetic mount, and I found ways to mount them without even drilling holes. I also have some mounted on shelves.

I am not against switching, but I would want something simlar in size and with a magnetic mount that I can angle and also the ability to sit it on a shelf.

I just do not understand why when I initially paired these sensors with HE a couple months ago that this was not an issue. Seems like something changed in the driver with HE. I also noticed it shows up as "device" and does not detect the correct Hue motion driver when paring.

You have 5 out of 6. That’s 5x better success than I had. Xiaomi are tiny, react quickly, read lux even when no motion, sit securely and discretely on a shelf, and are just $10.

They don’t do well if they’re far from the hub without a compatible repeater, so you could just put this one close to the hub ( 20ft or less) and then use the Hue sensors everywhere else you need them. Chances are though, you try one Xiaomi device, you’re going to buy more and then you’ll be buying a repeater so you can have them all over your house :wink:

You’ve been fortunate that pairing 5 of the Hue sensors worked. However, sometimes a divice has to be paired again. You might not be able to get them to pair a second time. As far a mounting, someone had a mount for the Xiaomi 3D printed, and it came out nice. Can’t find that post now though. Don’t remember if it was here or on ST community.

Same here. I only have the one, and I thought the driver was resolved for this but appears not.

I did a change of zigbee channel recently and re-paired everything, but go stuck on the Hue Motion. It paired, but that was about it. I had removed the driver I ported from ST, but luckily it was on here.

Try this driver, just to be able to hit the "Configure". It wont report motion, but does sense it.
Then you should be able to revert back to the stock driver. I've kept mine using the driver above, and its working fine, just doesn't log the motion.

Hope it helps. :+1:

Yeah I have noticed the stock driver still does not work. I had to do the same thing. There was supposedly fixes for the Hue driver, but it did not fix the issue. At this point the stock driver is useless when trying to pair a device, it just does not work.

I still have issues with more then 5 devices though it seems.

I may check these out. The Xiaomi temp sensors I have had been rock solid and actually I do not have any issues with range with those. I have a temp sensor in the attic basement and garage and none of them have dropped out or stopped reporting. Maybe the motion sensors don't have the range as the temp sensors though. But for $10 that a good deal. Only thing missing is a lux sensors.

Sorry, I know this is a bit old now, but when Hue sensors are in ST lux was updating even without motion. I did usd to use the code in this thread and then I switched driver to

I’m going to try adding this driver to HE and see if that works

@Townsmcp This is the one I ported, in the link above.

1 Like

Apologies, I should have looked before posting. Its not the one I ported, I ported the original.

1 Like

BTW, all I did was replace the word "physicalgraph." with "hubitat." :+1:

1 Like