Hue dimmer working/not working

Can someone advise me how to test whether my hue dimmer is working or not because I've had it work today but now whatever I do via HE it's not working.
The dimmer is in my device list and I'm getting logs saying buttons 1 and 4 are being pressed and I'm not getting a red light on the dimmer,but whatever I setup,rule,scene,simple lighting it doesn't seem to trigger nothing.

Cheers Kev

If the logs are showing button presses correctly, the problem is almost certainly with the automation. The device logs (or device event history) won't show anything if the device isn't working. If its seems to be working, perhaps you could post a screenshot of of your automation (app), especially if it's something like a Rule where setup is complicated and something might be wrong. (If you're confident in that aspect, feel free to skip that suggestion--but a look at the info/"gear" icon for the app to verify device subscriptions for your dimmer may still be helpful.)

If Hubitat "seeing"/logging the presses is inconsistent, it could be the device battery or Zigbee network problems, but it's not clear to me that this is what you're seeing.

Interesting. Nothing looks odd to me there aside from the duplicate scenes (some reported that issue a while back--maybe you?), but I'm not sure if that would be causing problems. If logging is enabled for scene device, does Hubitat think it's getting activated?

I'll check and post my results.

Thanks for your help.

It's not showing any button presses now.
I've removed and readded this dimmer twice now. When it was on my hue bridge it worked fine🤔

The Hue Dimmers are notorious for dropping off of any other hub besides the Hue Hub. I have 4 of them sitting in a drawer because they constantly drop off my HE hub.

Are the lights that you are controlling Hue lights or directly connected to your HE hub?

I've only tried one of these directly paired to Hubitat, and it did eventually fall off, but I paired it and never found a good use for it, so given probably months without me using it, I wasn't sure if the batteries just died or something. I've heard similar reports, though. Maybe it depends what channel you're using how reliable it is. I eventually went the Lutron Caséta route and used Pico remotes, but I haven't had any problems with my Eria dimmer directly paired if you want something else and keep having problems with this (which is fantastic on Hue, by the way).

1 Like

Mine sometimes stop working, not often. Hold all 4 buttons down until the LED lights up, then let go. Leave a few seconds and then try again. If you get a red LED, hold them down again, and try again. Usually works for me.

1 Like

Thanks everybody for your advice on this.
I have a dimmer upstairs working fine so far so was surprised when I started having problems with this one downstairs.
I hope I can get them all working because I've swooped all my lifx out for hue on the basis I could run them locally.
Cheers Kev

This sounds like a signal issue if you have no issues with one. I had Hue dimmer issues when I first set mine up. What channels are your HE hub and Hue Bridge on? Changing channels and adding repeaters solved my issues. I haven't had my dimmers fall of since. I have 4 dimmers setup.

They're not connected directly to your hub by chance, are they? Zigbee bulbs in general are notoriously bad repeaters for non-bulbs, and despite the Dimmer being intended to be used on the same Zigbee Light Link network as them, I'm not sure how it fares when effectively operating as Zigbee Home Automation on Hubitat (but certainly worse if you have still more Zigbee devices). If you are using the Hue Bridge, you'll be fine since the bulbs are in a separate network (which some people also achieve using a second Hubitat, but you have all Hue, I think the Bridge is a bit nicer here--and in that case you could pair the Dimmer directly to the Bridge network and bypass Hubitat unless you need it for other automations on Hubitat).

Not sure until I get home,when I'm setting this dimmer up I'm sat at the side of the hue bridge and the HE hub.

Cheers kev

All the bulbs are on the hue bridge and the dimmers on HE.

Cheers kev

If all the bulbs are on the Hue bridge, I'd recommend leaving the dimmers there as well and if you want additional functionality with HE, get a Zigbee/Z-Wave button remote for that. It sucks, but Philips products just don't play very well outside of their own hub.

Part of the reason I have been trying for months now to get rid of my Hue system.

I love my hue system. It's very quick and has been very reliable for me. I really like the apps for it. The only reason I expanded is because of it's limited capability. And as I mentioned I have no issues with my dimmers.

Yeah, I find that it's hit or miss in terms of reliability for people. My core Hue system itself is rock solid. When using the Hue app, my lights all respond amazingly fast. But, it's almost always the outside systems that seem to cause issues with Hue. For my system, I have GH, Alexa, HE and Harmony all connecting to the Hue. From any outside system, it normally takes between 500ms~2s to adjust lights, but the Hue app is almost instantaneous.

So, in the meantime, I've been slowly replacing my A19 bulbs with Sengleds. I also have about a dozen Ikea GU10s that I can't replace, so that's the only thing staying on my Hue hub. I tried adding them to my HE hub, but ran into too many stability issues with them on HE.

1 Like

I have found the same. Hue lights when independently used thru the Hue hub respond fast and reliably. But my automatons thru HE are a hit or a miss. Simple automatons with contact sensor on door in closet or motion sensor in pantry fail to work atleast once every three week. Im thinking of getting Sengled bulbs and trying them out.

1 Like

Sengleds, aside from a random 1 or 2, have been amazingly stable for me. I have 34 of them right now and only 2 of them have dropped off and that was only one time. Granted, my Zigbee mesh is like solid steel, which is due to having enough power plugs in various rooms around the house.

Which leads to my other complaint about Hue; It doesn't contribute to the overall mesh. So, having x number of bulbs on Hue doesn't help the Zigbee mesh on HE at all and vice versa.

Not what I was wanting to hear that people. I thought I was onto a winner with the hue system. I would leave the dimmer on the hue bridge but the customisation is Bobby basic that's why I thought I'd try it on he.

Cheers kev