Hue Dimmer keeps disconnecting with built in driver

I've left my dimmers sat next to the Hubitat hub, and next to repeaters, and they still loose the connection within a day.

Picos are not a realistic option for those of us not in the US. Hue dimmers are the cheapest and most widely available here. And I have a lot of them now, as the Hue starter bundle deals that include them have been the cheapest way to buy Hue bulbs recently. I also have about 8 Hue hubs to Ebay as a result.

I thought I had it cracked.....but didnā€™t.
So I paired dimmers to Hue to make sure they were running the latest firmware. No updates needed but it was worth crossing lingnoff the list.
I changed channels around again (HE on 15 and Hue in 25) and as @Ryan780 suggested, didnā€™t shutdown HE or anything. With 24 hours everything seemed to be working well.
48 hours later, the dimmer was still paired!
72 hours after channel swapping it all fell apart. Dimmers no longer responding. And I also noticed that some motion sensing devices hadnā€™t checking in for a while so lighting rules didnā€™t run.
Iā€™ve since swapped back the channels and now I have both dimmers paired with Hue Bridge. But because Hue Bridge is now HomeKit compatible the dimmers are exposed there and my Automations in HomeKit are carrying the dimmers

So no one has been able to pair these with decent results on HE ?

Well, for what it's worth I have my HE for 4 days now. Connected one Hue Dimmer switch to it right away and it still works. Hue Bridge is on channel 11, HE on channel 26. But something I can't find in this topic is the way Wifi 2.4G interference. Because they coexist in the same bandwidth... So you also have to look at that and that from your neighbors if you have any.

I have not had much success. I managed to keep one paired by having an Ikea Tradfri power socket as a repeater right next to it. This was better than previously, so I don't know if anything changed in the firmware. This has kept it paired for about 3 months, but in that time I've had to replace the Hue dimmer batteries three times. No idea why it's using up so much power when connected directly to Hubitat, or why it looses the connection when I don't have a repeater right next to it. But it's unusable. Shame as I bought a lot of these dimmers in the sales.

I have checked the Wifi interference, but it made no difference changing channels to minimise overlap.

1 Like

Mine have been pretty solid, checking the routing I can see that pretty much all of them are using my Ikea devices to repeat through.

http://HUB_IP/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

Shows this.

status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Office Dimmer, 91AA] via [Dresser, E55C]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Guest Bedroom Dimmer, 5B6B] via [Guest Bedroom Lamp 2, 593A]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Master Bed Dimmer, 52F8] via [Office 3, 3A5B]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Olivers Dimmer, 45A1] via [Office 2, 1437]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Kitchen Dimmer 1, B941] via [Cabinet Dimmer 1, D09A]

Dresser - Is a Tradfri plug
Cabinet Dimmer 1 - Tradfri dimmer unit
Office 2/3 - Ikea GU10
Guest Bedroom Lamp 2 - Ikea E14 bulb

1 Like

Thank you for that link. That is very handy!

My dimmer is repeated by a Philips hue white bulb and works fine too. Kinda weird the major difference at somebody else's place. I can only imagine there must some other interference or a firmware difference on the button side. Or a difference in hardware on Hubitat's part, but I can't imagine that.

1 Like

Did anyone find a solution to this? I moved all my dimmers over to HE a week and a half ago when I got it and setup a loads of simple automation rules to controls certain non-hue devices when lights turned on etc. I.e if press bedroom light on then also turn on TP link switch controlling the fan. All worked brilliantly, moved over all 7 switches in the house and setup simple automation rules all working great.

Until this morning, Bedroom and living room switches have stopped working and just give a orange light and are not issuing commands. the devices are still there in HE and I can manually send a commands from the HE devices page but not getting anything from the switch. So I removed the bedroom switch and rediscovered it on Zigbee as a brand new switch and reintegrated into HE but still nothing, just the orange light when a button is pressed.

Any ideas?

THIS IS STILL A PROBLEM. Definitely HE related as with every other update I do to HE, the Philips Dimmer Button Controller DIES or becomes SLIGHTLY RELIABLE then I lose it again. They pair great. It's literally 3 feet from the HE and it still disconnects over time. There's clearly issues with the HE Driver. Channels and Repeaters are irrelevant in my case, and I can confidently rule them out after literally hours of testing and having no success. With this current HE version dated literally today, I can't get the Philips Dimmer Button Controller to last more than 20 minutes to an hour. I would almost suggest that HE completely remove the Philips Dimmer Button Controller driver and flag it as unsupported, as it's simply too unreliable, and not on their radar to sort out. It's a shame as they are wonderful well designed devices at a great value. If HE want's to blame the device, that is fine too, but give me the tools to troubleshoot. Give me a log worth looking at. Prove me wrong that it's not an HE problem.

2 Likes

Yes, I'm currently running with 5 switches still connected to HE that haven't failed over the last 3 weeks and then 4 switches and a hue motion sensor that i've had to move back onto hue as they've fallen off HE

They seem very sensitive to the repeaters used. Mine havenā€™t dropped since I got rid of my peanut plugs last December. I have Samsung plugs and GE in-wall dimmers as the only repeaters for the HE theyā€™re on. I have 5 Hue dimmers and 1 Hue Motion Sensor (and 68 other end-devices on the same hub) and the Zigbee radio is on channel 19, because I was already using 15, 20, and 25 for other hubs.

Just to report I added more repeaters, and have had more success keeping the dimmers connected. 2 months now without disconnects. I also connected each dimmer directly to the Hue hub first and got it to update the firmware, before connecting directly to Hubitat. That also seems essential.

Still don't understand why the dimmers will disconnect even when right next to the Hubitat, but repeaters seemed to have helped.

Glad to hear you have been having better luck.