Hubitats poor colour handling should be improoved

Hi
Hubitats poor colour handling should be improoved. With zigbee devices for sure.

I'm not sure what your concern is.

Perhaps you could elaborate on the issue you're concerned about?

3 Likes

Explain? Hubitat uses an HSV model with Hue expressed in the range of 0-100 (rather than 0-360). I presume that range was selected to maintain ST compatibility.

1 Like

should be more versatile by supporting more colour schemes.

It is pretty simple to convert from HSV to RGB. What other color schemes do you want? XY? HSL?

Like what? Hubitat's HSB/HSV mdoel is easily converted to RGB and HSL. At the device level, I think it makes sense to standardize on only one model so that apps can reliably use the same commands across different devices without needing to know specific details of the device (pretty much the point of Hubitat's "capability" abstractions that apps generally rely on).

The device page--and in some sense, then, these commands directly--aren't really intended to be ways to contol devices on a day-to-day basis (though it certainly can serve that function and is invaluable for testing). What you would geneally use to change this is an app. An app can do whatever it wants--for example, provide RGB inputs for the user, then convert them to HSV "behind the scenes" when sending the command to the device (since that's ultimately what the driver would need). I'm not aware of any that do this--Rule Machine and others I can think of only provide hue/satuation/level inputs--but anything is possible, either there (if they change something) or in a custom app (if you write or find one). Rule Machine and some other apps also provides several "built in" colors you can choose from, like "red" or "blue," which again are app-specific options that convert to HSV for you. Again, any app could do this.

So, that's one issue: the exact request and where you'd like to see it isn't clear to me. Perhaps you could expand on that. But in general, I think you're only going to see app-level changes here, not driver/capability-level changes due to larger implications that would have. But because of all the above, I don't really think that is a big deal.

The only other issue I can think of is XY color, which some Zigbee bulbs (and perhaps other devices I haven't used) support exclusively instead of HSV or CT. This is a difficult problem, as conversion to and from HSV is not easy. So, some of these devices are difficult to make work with Hubitat's color model. Hubitat has begun trying to address this--the new-ish Zigbee "Advanced..." drivers contain some conversion--but, again, it's a challenging problem. But I assume this probably isn't what you mean. :smiley:

2 Likes

just maybe the zigbee rgb cct controllers would work properly, as none does. Not the tuya zigbe 3.0 not the gledopto gl-c-008 not the silvercrest zigbee strip controller.

problems are to be solved...

You really need to be specific here, just saying something is broken isn't really helpfull...

4 Likes

But the "problem" still isn't clear...

For your specific devices, is it possible they are XY-only? If so, have you tried the "Advanced Zigbee..." driver with them?

2 Likes

[zigbee rgb cct controllers would work properly, as none does. Not the tuya zigbe 3.0 not the gledopto gl-c-008 not the silvercrest zigbee strip controller

This is the last time I'm going to ask for specifics, i either need the actuall devices to test with or i need specific issues that perhaps we can look at. Not working just isn't helpfull, sorry...

8 Likes

Add me to the list of people that doesn’t understand what OP is asking for.

7 Likes

So your issue isn't with the color scheme used by Hubitat (HSV). Rather with specific devices? None of the devices you mentioned are on the list of compatible devices. If you get them to @mike.maxwell, he can possibly create drivers for them.

2 Likes

@zsolt.toth.39 You are being very vague. We need SPECIFIC devices and what SPECIFIC drivers you are using. @mike.maxwell has asked you twice now for details in order to address your issue and you're not giving them to him or us. Please do so or delete the thread.

6 Likes

Threads can only be deleted by staff. I think it would be more helpful to all if OP shared some more details re: the problem he’s having.

3 Likes

In order to solve any problem--the problem must be EXPLAINED clearly.

Thus far, you haven't clearly stated what you believe to be a problem. The devices, the issue that isn't working, etc.

Several community members AND Hubitat staff have chimed in to try to help--but you haven't said much useful in terms of explaining in detail what you're having problems with. Nobody can read your mind. This community is very helpful--but, please, you need to provide detailed information and not just general complaints.

Is it a specific device? What exact manufacturer and model? What feature(s) are not working?

3 Likes

I have the Gledopto 1d1 and a couple similar knockoff controllers (likely all made by the same company). While they aren't the same exact model as yours, they do work fine with Hubitat. In fact, the Gledopto works much better than another brand that is nearly 3 times the price. Gledopto are my favorite LED driver.

2 Likes

Likewise they work fine for me, apart from the 2-ID controller which works ok instead directly on a Hue hub.

1 Like

I thought if the op deleted their 1st message the rest of the thread followed