Hubitat Yale Z-wave integration

Hi,
I am strongly considering hubitat, I currently have smartthings which is essentially unusable but for basic tasks since they moved to the new app/platform. I have 3 Yale Locks with zwave Yale Security YRD110 and some zwave light switches.

1. The most important function I need is to be able to change the lock code remotely. Preferably from the app, but doing it via pc would be ok. I would love to be able to see a list of users per lock and easily remove or add users. An added bonus would be the ability to set a time expiring guest code and/or a scheduled code.
  2. Of course I want to be able to remotely open and close as well as set a basic automation where if the lock is left unlocked for (X) minuets, it auto locks (not using any door position sensors at this time).
    Battery levels - Would be great to see battery levels of the locks on the app.

3)I can do the last 2 with smartthings but I cannot remotely change the code. This is what I really need.

Thank you all in advance for any input you may be able to provide. If there is another platform that does this better I am all ears.

This is possible. You can either setup your own VPN to access your Hubitat, or you can purchase a subscription for Remote Admin. Remote Admin is $2.99 a month, with 15% off for an annual subscription.

https://shop.hubitat.com/remote-admin/

Can be done with a built-in app called Lock Code manager.

Remote access is totally free. Note access != admin.

Can be done.

3 Likes

Can be done easily via vpn or remote admin subscription with lock code manager

Yep :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you both for these quick reply. This is why I love these community forums. A few follow ups.

1. I generally place iot devices on a vlan or guest network with no communication between devices on that vlan. Even if I allowed devices on the vlan to communicate to each other, this would create a hassle for the user to connect to the specific network to make these changes. Does the hubitat provide for a direct communication between a phone and itself or does that occur over the network (i understand that in this case the user would have to be local). I am just trying to avoid the 2.99 monthly fee for something that will rarely be used.

2. If I must pay the fee, can I simply log into my account when needed pay the 2.99 then cancel?

3. can this code change function be done via the app as well as pc?

Out of curiosity, how do you block communication between devices on the same vlan?

This.

You can setup a Dashboard to change lock codes. This does not require Remote Admin. Follow the instructions in this post.

1 Like

Thank you for that link. At the location in question I am using a zyxel usg vpn router. You can create a security policy denying access between devices. For wireless devices, by default, unless you create a rule allowing it, the devices on the same network will not communicate with each other. On home routers like a asus, if you connect to the guest network and deny intranet access it will do this same thing (of course you must connect via wifi on the asus as I dont believe there is a wired guest option).

Been on hubitat for years, love it. But, lock code manager is no where near as good as rboy (not sure if you used). Just a small disclaimer. :slight_smile:

Wish rboy would port to hubitat, but has zero interest.

3 Likes

Hoping their recent experience with Samsung brings them to change course.

1 Like

Agreed, but their page has all kinds of language about migrating to new platform. :confused:

1 Like

Thanks for that. Yes! I did use rboy. I could not for the life of me understand why ST killed everything...is there a way to go back and use rboy with ST? How is hubitat different with respect to the lock manager vs rboy? If you can post a screenshot showing what the screen looks like when you want to add/delete a code?

Thanks for this info. My case use is very basic so I may reach out to them to see if this migration is going through any time soon.

For what its worth I just found this thread on ST forum. Rboy says that ST screwed them over.
This was posted 8 days ago.
"We’re working on the (second) replacement for the new platform. Unfortunately SmartThings didn’t deliver what they promised so we had to start over. The beta version was ready but it wasn’t stable enough to scale up due to issues with the ST API so it’s we’ve had to pivot and start over. Sorry folks but keep an eye out for an announcement when the new beta is ready."

I may hold out as I have 3 ST hubs in service. Really disappointed with ST. I think I am going to pick up a hubitat to play with regardless, if for no other reason than to support a company that cares about its users.

1 Like

Hubitat is great. LCM is fine, and has basic functionality for code syncing, schedules, etc. but rboy was the gold standard (and still is). I hope ST keeps doing what they’re doing and pushes rboy to hubitat. They pushed away webcore, so here’s hoping. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Btw. All the LCM info is here: Lock Code Manager | Hubitat Documentation

All the docs are here, really.

Oh, and my Yale locks work great with Hubitat. My Schlage’s didn’t, but I think rboy was doing some stuff behind the scenes with those old things (Zwave non-plus). I now have all Yale locks (just upgraded them to 700 series modules) and they work great. :slight_smile: my old yrd110 also worked great when I was using it. Solid locks. Really like the physical buttons.

1 Like

Oh. If you’re basic, LCM is great. Rboy is much more of a “I have rentals and want temporary codes” or “schedule these codes on these doors” etc. you can do all that with LCM too, but it’s just a bit different. Would totally buy hubitat. It’s much better than ST. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the yale locks. Use them both at home and my office. All keyless (no key backup that can be bumped or picked). I agree about the physicals buttons. Only thing I don't like is the touchscreen models. I much prefer the locks with actual buttons. I have both types.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.