Hubitat with Homemade Temperature, Humidity, Pressure and Light sensor

Thank you for giving my sensor a try. I appreciate the chance. I am also glad that the sensor work for you.

Br
Iman

1 Like

@iharyadi Just wondering if it is possible to add a motion sensor extension (if there are any) to your sensor?

1 Like

Yes... There is a digital input pad marked as DI. You can wire a motion sensor digital output to this pin. (ADDED.. please make sure that your Motion sensor generate 3.3V voltage level, not 5V).

I have a Motion Sensor child DTH on my github. You should install it on your device code page. Then, in the Environment Device page, there is a preference you can enable the Digital Input and also enter the name of DTH that you added to the Device Code page for the motion sensor.

After that, you will have a child Motion Sensor. You can go into this new device page and rename it as you like. You can use it like any other motion sensor devices.

1 Like

@iharyadi, thank you. Is there some kind of diagram showing how exactly to wire a sensor to your board?

I have one on older board.

As an example for the current board, if you are getting an HC-SR50, it will be an easy module to wire. This module has 5V power input with 3.3V level digital output which is perfect for our connection.

Here is the wiring.

Env Sensor-----------> HC-SR50
5V ------------------> VCC
GND -----------------> GND
DI -------------------> DOUT

Other Motion sensors will have similar pins configurations. If your motion sensors require 3.3V instead of 5V, there is 3.3V pad on the environment board that you can use.

Thanks
Iman

1 Like

Just got into HE and came across this. Your ebay listing says sold out - any future batches expected?

@gregspruce, Yes.... a new batch is coming. ETA is at the end of the week I should have them on my hand. However, based on the FEDEX, It could be late a day or two. Shipping is a bit unpredictable these days.

Awesome, I'll keep my eye on that listing then!

@iharyadi can you post here when the listing is updated ?

I will. I will post it here.

2 Likes

FYI, just randomly checked the listing and it's up, got my order in!

1 Like

Thank you. The new boards came last night. I just updated the Ebay listing. I am late on updating everyone here.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I just received a new batch of my boards. First, I want to thank you for those who support me with your purchases on the last few batches of board that I made. Those purchases help me to improve the Environment Sensor.

As part of an improvement, I manage to get a few samples without BME280 (the temperature, humidity and pressure) sensor not installed. The goal is to replace it with BME680 to add gas reading.

In thread 787, I have found a third party module (GY-MCU680V1) with BME680 that has its own MCU. The additional MCU allow us to use Bosch proprietary library to get additional reading. This library is distributed in binary form for some MCU (not all MCU).

The incomplete module is intended to work more less as Thingshield.

In this batch, I also make my own board to replace the GY-MCU680V1 module. Here is an image of unpopulated board. There are additional expansion ports on this board where we can add PM2.5 sensors if needed.

This will go into the Environment Sensor like below.

It also comes with power outage detection circuit. In summary, with the configured sensor above, we should be able to get the following.

• Light reading,
  • Temperature reading,
  • Humidity reading,
  • Pressure reading,
  • CO2 reading,
  • VOC reading,
  • IAQ (indoor air quality) reading,
  • Power outage detection

Just FYI, at the moment, I am not sure whether BME680 is one of the component that is part of the global semiconductor shortage. I am just hobbyist who would buy in small quantity. I do have issue finding multiple vendors to shop around. The BME680 sensor itself would cost me $11 to $15 alone at US market. It will make the whole cost of the modules rather expensive. Because of this reason, I will not be pre-built these modules. I will make a couple for my own usage. I am aware that some of you are interested on BME680. If you do not mind with the cost, please feel free to reach out. I may be able to build them for you on order.

I do have plenty of freshly built Original Environment Sensor with BME280 available now in Ebay. Zigbee Temperature Humidity Environment Sensor for SmartThings Hubitat | eBay. Again, your purchase will help me to fund this project so that I can keep improving the sensor for all of use to use.

Thanks
Iman

5 Likes

My units got delivered today! Excited to test them out this weekend. Thanks.

New problem here.
I received the four sensors I ordered via Ebay; thank you!
One of them seems reluctant to update values, especially illuminance, unless I open its device page and hit "Refresh".
Here is the printout of the Current States:

Current States

• Children : 0
  • DecryptFailure : 0
  • Neighbor : 10
  • PacketDrop : 0
  • RSSI : -45
  • ResetCount : 10
  • TXFail : 2
  • TXRetry : 2
  • battery : 100
  • humidity : 20.86
  • illuminance : 1045
  • pressure : 24.42
  • relativePressure : 29.74
  • temperature : 72.4

The device name for this sensor is "ENV03". Here is the printout of Device Stats log:

Devices: 0h 7m 37s (0.1%) Reset

Name Total ms Count Avg ms %
ENV01 278,587 19,931 14 60.8
ENV04 77,371 8,785 9 16.9
ENV02 70,292 7,841 9 15.4
ENV01 Power Detector 26,038 11,704 2 5.7
Water Heater Switch 1,090 144 8 0.2
ENV03 1,027 126 8 0.2
CL Outlet 01 969 77 13 0.2

It has been powered up about the same time as ENV02 and ENV04, yet has substantially fewer events. Is there a clue here as to what's wrong?

I'm going to try shutting off the Hubitat for 20+ minutes as I recently installed a bunch of new Zigbee outlets and then relocated them all over the house. So probably the Zigbee mesh needs to rebuild itself. However my sensors ENV01 and ENV03 have never been relocated since I first paired them with the Hubitat, and they are four feet away from it.

Click CONFIGURE on Environment Sensor that is not reporting as quickly. Doing so tells the device how frequently to report its status updates to the hub. Make sure all of the devices are using the same driver type.

1 Like

@peterd, it could be that during pairing the process was not fully completed on Env03. Please try to click on configure as suggested by @ogiewon. Let me know whether it help.

Thanks
Iman

1 Like

Using CONFIGURE appears to have fixed it. It now updates Illuminance within a few seconds after blocking or unblocking the light falling on it.
Ogiewan, by driver type you mean the "Environment Sensor EX" type under Device Information?
They are all using it as I installed that driver prior to discovering the devices (well after doing the first sensor before installing the driver, and learning how to set the correct driver type for it).
Thanks!

2 Likes