Hubitat with Homemade Temperature, Humidity, Pressure and Light sensor

Hi Everyone,

I am a new owner of Hubitat. I only get the hub yesterday. I am a long time Smartthings user. Home automation becomes a hobby. I did get to the point where I make my own sensor.

I am making an Environment Sensor that would read Temperature, Humidity, pressure and light level of a room.

There are a few similar sensors like what I built. Why make another one? Hubitat speed and local execution complement my goal in making this sensor. My goal is to have Environment sensor that is fast, easy to maintain and expandable.

Here, I have a youtube video that will show the speed of the sensor reporting. Watch how the illuminance value change instantly based on the light shine on it.

The sensor is unique in the sense that it is powered with DC power and backed by optional recharge-able LIPO/Li-ON battery.

Btw, the sensor is also double up as Router/Extender. There are other sensors as well in the module. I mention some of them at Smartthings community here. I just link it so that I do not repeat myself.

DTH for the module.

If you like to get one, here is my Ebay listing. Currently, I keep a few modules available for members who are interested on the modules.

Thanks
Iman

21 Likes

Iman,

Welcome to Hubitat! I am the author of "HubDuino" (ST_Anything) and I am very intrigued by what you have created. In fact, I have wanted to build a small, plug-in multi-sensor device for years. My thought being that I could place these throughout the house and gather temperature, humidity, illuminance, and other data. I'd also love to have an RGB LED on the device which could be used to indicate conditions within the house (e.g the status of an alarm system.)

I like your design because it does not use batteries, and uses Zigbee HA as the protocol. The fact that it is a Zigbee router is quite the bonus feature! Are you offering these for sale? Are you willing to share the source code and the explain how to set up the development/programming environment? I would love to have the ability to make firmware changes, if necessary.

Here's a link to my DIY platform for makers on Hubitat. I have a similar thread on SmartThings as well.

Dan

3 Likes

@iharyadi saw you mentioned on the ST thread that you think these might work with xiaomi sensors. i have a bunch of xiaomi sensors that dont normally stay connected to hubitat so they are just sitting idle. if you still have one with the PCB antenna i would like to give it a try and see if it makes a difference with the xiaomi sensors.

thank you.

edit: also is it better to try the PCB version or the one with the external antenna for this purpose?

2 Likes

Hey, thanks. I appreciate the welcome.

I personally think that I need the sensors for both network coverage and room sensing. I am still looking to integrate more sensors. I based what I need on the following question. If you have a room, what do you want to know about your room?

I only answer part of the question. I still missing some answer. I want to know if there are any sound in the room. I want to know if there is any vibration in the room. Perhaps, ultimately, is there human, dog, cat etc etc in the room? I am still far away from that.

Having said that, I will try to answer your questions. I am evaluating at this moment whether the sensor is attractive enough for users at current state. Yes, I will try to make the module for sale if that the case. I will have to work with a manufacture to do that. I do not imagine that I will make one module at a time. In the meantime, If you can put a good use of the sensor. I would be happy to send you one for you to test. Please PM me. I have to give you slightly modified Hubitat DTH.

The development environment is not an open environment. I want to make sure I investigate more in regard to make the code open source. I cannot make commitment at this point.

if you did come up with a sensor does all of this ... there is a whole bunch of stuff i could do with my rooms manager / rooms occupancy apps that i cant do today because of currently available sensors limitation :slight_smile:

so that would be really cool.

I do not have a PCB antenna version anymore. I have less than a handful sensor now. PM me if you are interested. We can work on the detail.

Here is the device handler for the sensor.

2 Likes

@bangali @ogiewon, Just FYI, the USPS just picked up the sensors. They should be on your hand at the end of the week.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to trying it.

@ogiewon, @bangali have you guys gotten the sensors? I just want to make sure there is no issue with USPS.

I have not received it yet. Hopefully it will arrive today or tomorrow so I can play with it over the weekend.

1 Like

@iharyadi got mine hooked up tonight ... this is really awesome! been looking for something like this for a while now ... thanks for your hard work in putting this together. :slight_smile:

if you are looking for a wish list :wink: ... heres mine:

1. small transparent case
  2. attached stick up antenna
  3. not bright led with status indication

btw since hubitat does not do device tiles added the following attributes so the diag data persists:

attribute "Children", "string"
attribute "Neighbor", "string"
attribute "ResetCount", "string"
attribute "TXRetry", "string"
attribute "TXFail", "string"
attribute "RSSI", "string"
attribute "DecryptFailure", "string"
attribute "PacketDrop", "string"

and added this to the top of the refresh(...) method just so I know when the diag data is from:

state.lastRefreshAt = new Date(now()).format("yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss", location.timeZone)

thanks again!

1 Like

Thank you for all of this. I really could get some feedback to work on.

Thanks for the code. I was wondering about those attribute not persist. I am very new at Hubitat. I am still confused on a few things. I will add them on my github.

Btw, if you get your xiaomi devices connected to the router, let me know how they work. I saw yesterday that you had one child already connected to it.

1 Like

Btw, do you think I should delete all the tiles code if they are not used?

Do you have a smartapp at ST? I am wondering if you can share tip and trick on how to write dth that work on ST and Hubitat. The overhead maintaining both DTH separately is getting harder for me.

@ogiewon, I just updated the DTH based on @bangali feedback. In case you got the sensor, please make sure you get the latest DTH.

1 Like

Thanks for the updated driver. I am still waiting on delivery of the sensor. Hopefully it will arrive today.

you are welcome. happy to provide feedback as i use it.

is there a way to tell which child is connected to it? yeah i am going to try connecting one of the xiaomi aqara motion sensors today and see how long it stays connected. so it will take 2/3 days at least to figure out if they stay connected or drop off after 1/2 days.

dont delete the tiles. for my own app rooms occupancy the driver works for ST and hubitat. you can find the code here:

Unfortunately, the overhead is too much to give a list of connected clients 64bit/16bit address.

I personally have my own sniffer and Xbee modules. I could find out which clients connect to the sensors.

I already went ahead to remove the tiles. I'll put it back.

I notice that the way hubitat pass zigbee data to parse method are different. I have been maintaining 2 separate code because I notice there are subset of scenarios that may not work properly if the code is not adapted for Hubitat or ST.

For example, I just have to fix the way I handle temperature adjustment. In ST, temperature and humidity come as string "temperature: nnnn". Hubitat always use "read-attr". I just update the github a few minutes ago.

In any case, I will put the tiles code back. Someone probably can use them here.