Hubitat will NOT die just like WINK

Surely the team are smart home enthusiasts, so if worst comes to worst, they will get jobs elsewhere and hubitat will become a side business that makes them a bit of cash.

From what I understand is they have frustrations Smart Things therefore they created their own platform. If they sell out it'll have to be a retirement amount of cash and a suitable alternative for the team

Don't forget about Creston is you really have a deep wallet.

You assume that they don't already have day jobs, and that hubitat isn't already their side gig.

3 Likes

holly sht you really are loyal to hubitat lol

huh? Did I miss an announcement?

@doug Guess so Hubitat Names Greg Toth as President and CEO

1 Like

A hex on your words!

IMHO you’ll never receive this assurance from any startup under any circumstances. Smartthings was a startup before Samsung acquired them. But they’re a real electronics company, wink was unlucky enough to be purchased by a celebrity dilettante.

If you’re not looking to troll people, isn’t the title of this thread a bit inflammatory?

2 Likes

thanks

that was my point :sweat_smile:

I wouldn't mind paying a subscription if it worked properly and they fixed the endless bugs.

How much will it cost me to roll back to RM 2.5?

1 Like

LOL - that's a roundabout non-answer, who is 'We'?

The owners....................... :wink:

I am not worried much about Hexit (like Brexit). HE is not cloud based so there is no risk of my devices not working.

if Google or Samsungs writes a $1 Billion check to Hubitat and announces they will shut it down and everyone needs to buy their new platform. Or the current owners decide they have had enough fun, or no one is buying new devices so they can't fund growth - unlikely but anything is possible.

No matter what the scenario the net effect will be Hubitat the company stops FW updates, all that will do is some new device that is not covered by existing drivers won't work. All existing devices and rules will continue to work.

My primary user interfaces to Hubitat devices are iPhones via Homekit/Homebridge and Alexa. I gave up on the HE UI/Dashboards a long time ago - they don't have the money to do it, and device is too underpowered to serve up dashboards quickly enough to pass WAF.

So my back plan in case of Hexit - buy something new for new devices bridge it to Homekit / Alexa and keep Hubitat as is.

1 Like

If you only expose the devices meant to be on a Dashboard to that Dashboard (in the Dashbaord app), instead of selecting all devices, you might find a dramatic reduction in the time it takes to display a Dashboard.

4 Likes

You mean if some came with a $1 Billion check in hand, you would refuse? :slight_smile: given the growth of sector, and how you have been picking up customers, it can and will probably happen.

Too much work - iPhone works much better, you make rooms and move devices in proper rooms- done. Nightmare with dashboards, making seperate pages then linking them. And with a $50 used apple tv 4, getting connected remotely is a non-issue. Also have tried using the Fan template or tried changing colors of lightbulbs, totally unusable UI.
Having said that - I am not complaining, its about separation of concerns, HE is brilliant at what does, provides an interface for the Radios, and Rules automation. The were never selling UI, and I hope they don't waste their money on UI, its good enough.

Hmmm, I'll have to think about that one.....

On the other hand, we don't plan for that outcome... BECAUSE ... we are still in our right minds.

16 Likes

Given 70+ comments in 3 days, I guess you did accomplish your goal, :wink:. It seems to me we've reached the "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin" threshold. Therefore, I'll just say again Happy Holidays and best wishes for a fantastic (and automated) 2020.

3 Likes