Hubitat vs HassIO

Just curious as to what everyone is using to control their devices.

I jumped ship from Wink when they announced they were going to charge a subscription, and never looked back. Love how fast everything is with HE. Took a whole night to set up my dashboard and make things look nice :slight_smile:

I recently set up HassIO to take my Ring doorbell off IFTTT and keep things as local as they can be, started playing with the dashboard there.

Using @jason0x43's integration into HA, I am able to pass my z-wave devices from HE to HA. Right now I just passed one so I could integrate it with my Ring.

I've been playing around with HA and adding more things to the dashboard there, and kinda like it. I was able to add my printer toner levels, my thermostat, and even my rtsp camera feeds.

I'm thinking about moving all my control to HA instead of HE.

For those who have made this change, do you find the experience in HA better/worse than HE? Did you come back to HE dashboard? Do you run both?

For those who won't change, any reason you refuse to make the change?

Over time, I think a lot of Automation Opportunities come a knocking.. Sometimes they can be implemented easily, sometimes hard. Often the hard ones are solved more easily by expanding the System to meet the need, vs shoehorning it all in one.

My own system is fairly large, but nowhere near the very large border. :slight_smile: I have 3 Hubitat hubs, as well as Apple's HomeKit (via Homebridge) and a couple of NodeJS servers running on a Mac Mini (instead of a Raspberry Pi.)

There's no 'right way' as far as I'm able to determine. I'll integrate anything if it speeds my time to Done. :smiley:

2 Likes

I found it worse. It is super powerful, but is easy to break (in MY opinon), often has regressions on updates, and has a VERY high churn rate in terms of change. Takes a lot of work to stay on top of what is coming and going in each release.

I'm quite proficient in yaml editing, so that part didn't bother me. But make no mistake, I did/do have to edit yaml regularly even today in HA.

That said, I use both (+1 more).

• HE for zwave and zigbee devices
  • Node-RED for many cloud/LAN integrations and all logic
  • HA for the integrations that HE and Node-Red don't support (or don't support easily)

I use each for what (I think) they are best at.

7 Likes

I made this change, but in the opposite direction: Home Assistant to Hubitat. But when I started using Home Assistant, Hubitat wasn't around (or at least public) yet, so it was the best of a bunch of "meh" options at the time as far as I was concerned. :slight_smile: My primary goal was to move away from SmartThings and the cloud--and cloud problems--that comes along with that platform.

I've actually still kept both around since switching to Hubitat, however. Even after I got all my "real" devices moved to Hubitat, I kept many integrated into Home Assistant and some automations on Home Assistant too until Hubitat got things like a Hue Bridge integration (seems like forever ago, but it wasn't in the first few releases). That part was out of necessity. But there were some things I liked, mostly Home Assistant's built-in history graphs. The data is all there in Hubitat, but there is no built-in way to do anything quite like Home Assistant does by default (however, Hubigraphs, a recent community app, can perform this function now--but haven't used it yet and won't until I have time to look at the code and see if it follows my preference to read event history on demand, e.g., when I load the page, instead of subscribing to all device events...I'm picky like that).

Back when Home Assistant was my primary "hub," I couldn't get all Zigbee devices I had paired. Support for them was...mixed. I think that's gotten better (I don't remember seeing their "quirks" implementation, similar to drivers on Hubitat or DTHs on ST, back then, for one). I almost switched entirely to Z-Wave, which fares better across platforms (Hubitat and SmartThings are the only ones I find comparable on Zigbee here, and they're far ahead of anything else I've used; Z-Wave works to at least some extent almost anywhere), but the lack of good, fast motion sensors in that space was a setback. But after a few months, Hubitat appeared on the scene, and it was exactly what I longed for when I was on ST, and eventually all of my devices and automations got moved over.

I've still never been able to let go of Home Assistant to this day, though--those history graphs are pretty nice. But being pre-1.0, they do occasionally still make breaking changes, as mentioned above. Recently, I had to figure out how to re-do all of those as part of a Lovelace "dashboard" instead of the old component in the "states" UI. That was not fun, but I decided to re-do my entire installation from scratch instead of using my old config file I'd been dragging around (and manually editing) since the beginning, and I was shocked to see how much that has improved. I didn't have to edit any config file to get anything done until I started wanting to create "template" devices instead of using entirely "real" devices, and I imagine lots of people can now use the platform without doing so at all. (I never got the hang of their built-in YAML automations when I used it so I went with AppDaemon, which definitely requires code, but I'm again guessing many people can get by without that...)

Like you, I'm using the unofficial/HACS Hubitat component. MQTT is another option, and there's three ways I've seen to do that, two of which I've tried, but neither of which I've been quite as happy with (all good things to say about everyone who's contributed any, however!).

I have seen a few people keep automations on Home Assistant while using Hubitat as mostly the "radio." I'm happy with letting Hubitat do both, though Home Assistant certainly has more (nearly all unofficial) integrations that some people like. Most of my devices are Zigbee and Z-Wave, which Hubitat does a much better job with. So whichever way you choose to do things, you won't be alone! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I use HA for automations and for interfacing with WiFi and cloud devices, and HE as a Zigbee/Zwave hub. That, in my view, is where each of their strengths lie: HE provides a solid radio and a very stable platform for managing Zigbee and Zwave networks, while HA (running on a desktop machine) provides significantly more headroom for automations, and (in my opinion) provides a much better platform for creating and sharing code.

As with all things, though, it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish and how you like to work with the system. As others have pointed out, HA is very complex and is still occasionally unstable (although it's gotten better over the few months I've been using it). If you don't like to tinker, and occasionally fight with the system to make something work, it may not be for you. On the other hand, it gives you a wealth of features out of the box, and since it's open source you have the option of digging into its internals to make things work, which is incredibly valuable if you're the kind of person that likes doing that. :smiley:

7 Likes

I was on Wink, and I wanted to get more out of my smart home. Stringify was either shut down or closing down, so I lost that avenue of advanced automations/integrations. Hubitat wasn't really a big thing then. So I tried Home Assistant. Everyone was talking so highly of how great it was, so I figured why not try it?

I had lots of issues. I didn't understand YAML. I would change one stupid thing and crash the system. And I can't count how many times I locked myself out of the system. That configuration file crap was gibberish to me. Updates caused huge issues, what worked one day didn't the next. I must have installed that stupid system 25 times over the course of a couple months. It just wasn't intuitive, and there was just so many constant changes it was hard to keep up with what was going on. To this day I don't know how you were supposed to automate things or make rules on that system. I never figured that part out after months of trying. It just sort of sat there and looked pretty more than anything, when it was actually working that is.

So I gave up and went back to Wink for a while. At some point, I was so frustrated with Wink I had to do something. It was down to either Smartthings, or Hubitat based on price, and ease of use. And Hubitat finally had just introduced their Android app, which was a big thing for me then. The local control of Hubitat won out over another cloud based hub.

Hubitat wasn't easy by any means, but it was so much easier and better than HA. There have been times of frustration with Hubitat, but it was nothing like Home Assistant. I think Hubitat is a great middle ground between the overly simplified Wink, the cloud based Smartthings, the unnecessarily complex Home Assistant, and the overpriced (IMO) but local Homeseer.

2 Likes

@csteele can I ask what Homekit brings to the table and why you decided to make it a part of your solution?

I started with HA and as others mentioned it is too delicate to keep up-to-date and stable with updates. Like @csteele I went a multi hub route with HE, HomeKit and an Ubuntu VM running on a dedicated Windows 10 mini desktop. The thing I loved about HA was the advancements with MQTT which is light years ahead of everyone. After @kevin started his integration for a MQTT service with HE, I learned a lot of the limitations HE has with MQTT and I needed more than where @kevin was going as I had no need for control of lights through HA. So I setup a broker on my Ubuntu server and wrote my own client connections for some fun projects I did around the house (Salt Tank monitor with arduino, holiday projector project, etc). Again nowhere close to what HA provided but I was able to replicate Dr. Zzz’s cool HA projects on HE. Well until he went to ESP for HA which is a ESP8266 deployment, development and integration platform for HA that I haven’t attempted to reverse engineer (again this is what makes HA so awesome....the developer community).

Anyways, both platforms have their limitations and both are rapidly expanding thanks to the developer communities. HA is on a path to stabilize their build-to-build issues with support of a n-2 for apps, whilst HE is focusing on their own stability issues (as you can see everywhere in the forums) and net new advancements. The biggest difference is HE really does a great job in supporting devices with native drivers making initial adoption significantly easier for Zwave/Zigbee users.

3 Likes

HomeKit brings a lot for presence, iPhone “hey Siri” integration, remote control connectivity without lan access. HomeKit is great add on for another access point for easily controlling your home.

1 Like

I used HA exclusively for several months a couple of years ago. Until an update broke several of my integrations. I currently use Hubitat for its radios and do all my automations using Node-RED. I also integrate devices from Hubitat and other systems using Node-RED.

6 Likes

@aaiyar That is one project (node-red) I really need to jump on the bandwagon and do. My hesitation is due to the amount of perceived time I would need to dedicate. I really want to rid myself of RM and simple/motion lighting. I am a WebCORE enthusiast at heart but each time I attempt to install it I see why I can’t with significant hub slow downs no matter which hub I place it on. I have seen your logic diagrams and it could be my solution for what I want to do. Again just hesitant because of the time I don’t have currently.

2 Likes

I was a Node-RED neophyte. At the time I used HASS, it didn't have the Node-RED integration that it currently has, so all my automations were in YAML.

It took me about 2 weeks to get (an hour or two a day) to move most of my automations to NR. Not that difficult. And the transition from WebCORE will be easier (if you decide to!)

2 Likes

@aaiyar I am just getting into node redf as well curious did you also use MQTT?

Yes. But not for Hubitat integration. For that I used @fblackburn's Hubitat nodes.

1 Like

In a (my) perfect world it would be MQTT at the center, HE/(other systems) providing device integrations, and Node-RED providing rule/flow based controls.

But the HE nodes are awesome and easy to use so are my go to... still looking at @kevin's MQTT app for future integration though.

3 Likes

Are you running NR as a standalone? Or within HA? I think if I set it up it would be within HA, and then it can pull any devices I have from HA into NR

Similar to my experience with Stringify then Home Assistant too. But it took me less than a weekend to decide it just wasn't worth the hassio (oh sorry, hassle ha ha ha) and I switched rapidly to HE. The good that came out of it was that working with HA removed the fear of getting into Raspberry Pi so that's actually been very helpful now for various other uses linked to Hubitat.

Both!
They compliment each other so well.

I use @jason0x43 component in HA and Maker API.

I couldn't be happier with the reliability and ease of use.

Something not compatible with HE? Then I use HA. Something not compatible with HA? Then I use HE.

I just keep my HE to a handful of automations and all my zigbee and zwave devices. HA handles all my WiFi and custom apps.

So happy with my setup!

10 Likes

I'm basically doing the same thing but I'm also using HomeKit so I have all the bases covered.

i guess i might have to play with HA more. i tried that, and sent over a small set of devices (basically the devices that are controlled by my ring), but lovelace was acting funky for me so i scrapped it